Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-12-2021, 12:58 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Central Coast Observing Sessions

Hi there fellow amateur astronomers of the Central Coast and surrounds.
Its been along time since we organised any group observing session at either Mangrove Mountain (Saturday nights) or Bretti Reserve (several day camp).

How do you feel about that ?

admittedly travel restrictions, and poor weather put paid to many such thoughts.
But is now the time to bring our equipment out of the closet?
I know I will have to do a refresher course in setting up and calibrating the rig.
(tip: check your powered gear for any old batteries that may need replacing, before they leak)

Still school holidays so probably not a good time for camp Bretti this new moon!

What are your thoughts, suggestions, and general availability?
Are you keen to get out there, or ready to retire your collimator?

Sorry to say I myself am finding it a bit difficult re-igniting the fire.
Do we need some young blood to kick start the motor.
Old 31-12-2021, 02:26 PM
SB (Chris)

Hi Alan,
I had a look at Bretti a few weeks ago. The camping area was full of cows which would be deadly for my rig! If not for the cows it’s a lovely spot by a beautiful river and good dark sky.

SB
Old 31-12-2021, 04:00 PM
AdamJL

Hi Allan

Prior to Omicron I would have been totally up to meet and greet. It's been about almost 8 years since I popped in to see a few folk at Katoomba.
But with this outbreak, I'll regrettably curtail any star parties and hopefully catch up when things die down a bit.

I'm still very keen though, but also hesitant for now.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:30 AM
glend (Glen)

Allan, unfortunately in the case of Bretti, age does weary one. However, the dedication of the original crew is a testament to what we had as a community. Covid anxiety is a real issue these days, but time may change this, especially when considering camping with trusted breatheran (who are up to date with boosters etc).
So yes, I believe it maybe too early, but as always the discussions have to happen well in advance. Thank you for nuturing the flame.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:35 PM
AmpedInventor (Liam)

I would be totally keen! Count me in!
Old 03-01-2022, 04:06 PM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Hi Allan,

Nice to see that you are still supporting the Central Coast observing cause!

I remarried last year and relocated to Wollongong, so it will be a challenge to come along anymore. John Bambury now lives in the Shoalhaven, and I have a weekender down that way which has Bortle 3 skies, so he and I are trying to get some observing happening there instead.

Anyhoo, good luck with it, hope you can get some enthusiasm for the gathering because I know just how much of a difference it made to so many of us in the early days learning about the night sky together.

Cheers,

Rod
Old 03-01-2022, 07:39 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstar View Post
Hi Allan,

Nice to see that you are still supporting the Central Coast observing cause!

I remarried last year and relocated to Wollongong, so it will be a challenge to come along anymore. John Bambury now lives in the Shoalhaven, and I have a weekender down that way which has Bortle 3 skies, so he and I are trying to get some observing happening there instead.

Anyhoo, good luck with it, hope you can get some enthusiasm for the gathering because I know just how much of a difference it made to so many of us in the early days learning about the night sky together.

Cheers,

Rod
Thanks for your reply Rod, and the encouragement!
Best wishes for your new marriage, and for the observing opportunities,
we will miss you on the coast.
Thanks buddy
cheers
Old 11-01-2022, 08:54 AM
jakob

I'm keen for a few days at Bretti.
(Only just saw your post)
Cheers.
Old 13-01-2022, 07:11 AM
astropolak (Joe)
Never, ever give up hope

Dear Allan

I am as keen as ever to resume my sky discovery quest....
I do not understand what has happened to force everyone to get so quiet and obedient, its not my nature, probably because I lived my younger days in the system where everyone is under control of all knowing and all powerful government.
So..., name the day at PC and I will be there.

@Rod
Sorry to hear about your marriage breakdown, its a difficult time for both man and a woman. I know you will be OK as you are spectacular success and all..., just hope your wife can carry on happily..., after giving you so much. How many kids do you have anyway ?

Kind regards to you all.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:36 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Hi Allan,

Just resurfacing myself!

This massive outbreak of La Nina weather has been terrible here on the Coast, but I'm still happy to venture up to the Pony Club as weather allows.

My partner is also very keen to peep through the scope, and is hoping to see the split of Sirius A and B with her own eyes.

@Rod, sad to see you leave the area, and you are always welcome back (bring John with you!). Life takes us to many destinations, so we need to explore each and every one. Was it you that was looking at starting up a distillery out Yarramalong way? That is how long it has been for me, since getting to the PC...
Old 08-02-2022, 12:12 PM
norm

So many names coming out of the woodworks. It’s been over a year since I’ve logged in and many more since I’ve peered through my scope. In fact, I did a complete mirror wash down, vacuumed the cobwebs a few weeks back. Got as far as assembling the scope, but got stuck between the eyepiece, not aligning with the Telrad…. Should be pretty basic 101 but it’s flummoxed me. Weather has since gone foul again and waxing moon is coming up…. Need to get to the next stage of aligning the Argo.
PC sounds very tempting, if anything just to ignite that flame/interest.
Old 17-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Norm, you'll always be welcome!

I think I am in a similar position to you. I moved my scope out of storage two weeks ago, for the first time in 18 months. I'll need to check the onboard clock battery, then remember how to set her up.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:31 AM
MichaelWB (Michael)

Hi Guys.

All this talk of Bretti has reminded me of last May and the follow up forum chat, specifically, that Eric mentioned while on his way home he stayed at a place called Bulga campground near Singleton for a couple of nights. He was quite upbeat about its astronomy potential, and it's only half the distance from the Central Coast. I hope this might be just the encouragement someone needs to plan something and I’ll try to fit in. (I got covid for Xmas and I’m triple vaxed, so I’m happy to share eyepieces )

Like a lot of you, I haven’t looked through an eyepiece for many months, nearly all of it down to crappy weather. Even when the skies are clear (which is rare) the atmosphere is still far from transparent and does nothing to inspire me, though I did pull the C6 out one night to look at the Orion Nebula, just to scratch the itch.

Hope to see some of you soon.

Michael