Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science

Old 08-04-2022, 08:51 AM
gary

Fermilab claims W Boson measured heavier than it suppose to be. Upsets Standard Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallab Ghosh, BBC, 8 April 2022
Scientists at the Fermilab just outside Chicago have found that the mass of a sub-atomic particle is not what it should be.

The measurement is the first conclusive experimental result that is at odds with one of the most important and successful theories of modern physics.

The team has found that the particle, known as a W boson, is more massive than the theories predicted.

The result has been described as "shocking" by Prof David Toback, who is the project co-spokesperson.

The discovery could lead to the development of a new, more complete theory of how the Universe works.

"If the results are verified by other experiments, the world is going to look different." he told BBC News. "There has to be a paradigm shift. The hope is that maybe this result is going to be the one that breaks the dam.

The scientists at the Fermilab Collider Detector (CDF) in Illinois have found only a tiny difference in the mass of the W Boson compared with what the theory says it should be - just 0.1%. But if confirmed by other experiments, the implications are enormous. The so-called Standard Model of particle physics has predicted the behaviour and properties of sub-atomic particles with no discrepancies whatsoever for fifty years. Until now.

"No-one was expecting this. We thought maybe we got something wrong." But the researchers have painstakingly gone through their results and tried to look for errors. They found none.

The result, published in the journal Science, could be related to hints from other experiments at Fermilab and the Large Hadron Collider at the Swiss-French border. These, as yet unconfirmed results, also suggest deviations from the Standard Model, possibly as a result of an as yet undiscovered fifth force of nature at play.

Physicists have known for some time that the theory needs to be updated. It can't explain the presence of invisible material in space, called Dark Matter, nor the continued accelerating expansion of the Universe by a force called Dark Energy. Nor can it explain gravity.

Dr Mitesh Patel of Imperial College, who works at the LHC, believes that if the Fermilab result is confirmed, it could be the first of many new results that could herald the biggest shift in our understanding of the Universe since Einstein's theories of relativity more than a hundred years ago.

"The hope is that these cracks will turn into chasms and eventually we will see some spectacular signature that not only confirms that the Standard Model has broken down as a description of nature, but also give us a new direction to help us understand what we are seeing and what the new physics theory looks like.

"If this holds, there have to be new particles and new forces to explain how to make these data consistent".
Story here :-
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60993523

Last edited by gary; 08-04-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:44 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Exciting times ahead then.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:39 PM
DarkArts

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I blame dark matter - the same reason my bathroom scales tell me I'm getting heavier. It's the only rational explanation.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:30 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I blame dark matter - the same reason my bathroom scales tell me I'm getting heavier. It's the only rational explanation.
Username checks out..