Old 21-03-2022, 09:10 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 21st, 9.00am.

There was some Faculae near the North-Western Limb, which is the remnants of Region 2965.

There are six small spots in the Southern-Central area and this is new Region 2972.

I was always looking through cloud today, so some fine details may not have been visible to me.
Old 22-03-2022, 09:11 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 22nd, 9.00am.

Region 2972 with two pairs of twin spots is the most obvious feature and is in the Southern-Central area.

There is a new, unnamed Region on the South-Eastern Limb. It has two, small spots surrounded by umbra.

Region 2973 is a tiny spot in the North-Eastern quarter.

There is Facuale near the North-eastern Limb.
Old 23-03-2022, 08:22 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 23rd, 810am.

Region 2972 has one small and several tiny spots. The Solar Disc in that area looks darker than normal.

Newly named Region 2974 is just moving away from the South-Eastern Limb. It has two small and several tiny spots. The spots look to be islands in an atoll of Faculae.

An unnamed Region has appeared very close to the South-Western Limb, which is a very unusual occurrence. It has two tiny spots, some Faculae and some darkening of the Solar Disc.
Old 24-03-2022, 07:58 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 24th, 7.50am.

Today, there are two Regions, both near the Eastern Limb.

New named Region 2975 in the North has five spots of various sizes and they commence with a spot almost on the Limb.

Region 2974 in the South still only has a small spot and at least one tiny spot.

Yesterday, a spot appeared very close to the Western Limb and I thought this would be named as Region 2975. Now I am wondering if it received a name before rounding the Limb.
Old 25-03-2022, 08:15 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 25th, 8.00am.

North-Eastern Region 2975 has developed into an attractive chain of spots. One spot is very large, two are medium sized and there are several smaller spots.

Region 2974 in the South-East still has only two small spots.

New Region 2976 has been named near the North=Western Limb, but I did not see anything in the area.
Old 26-03-2022, 10:16 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 26th, 10.00am.

There is a new Region 2976, but to my mind, it is just part of the long chain of Region 2975. It appears much the same as yesterday with a very large spot, two medium/large spots and a number of small spots. There is Faculae in the area, which was not noticeable yesterday.

Region 2974 has a small and tiny spot. Yesterday, they were much more even in size, but not so today.
Old 28-03-2022, 12:01 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
March 26th, 10.00am.

There is a new Region 2976, but to my mind, it is just part of the long chain of Region 2975. It appears much the same as yesterday with a very large spot, two medium/large spots and a number of small spots. There is Faculae in the area, which was not noticeable yesterday.

Region 2974 has a small and tiny spot. Yesterday, they were much more even in size, but not so today.
Thanks for the great reports Bob! I have mounted my old beaten up pair of 20x80mm binoculars on a tripod and observed the sun for the first time via projection method (only one side of the binocular works). Saw that group of sunspots near the limb that you mentioned. Awesome! Not exactly high tech but this will be my dedicated solar "scope" from now on. Keep the great solar reports comming! Cheers
Old 28-03-2022, 07:38 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
March 15th, 7.30am.

... The large spot in Region 2960 is very close to the Western Limb. This has been such a large, long lasting spot that I have hopes that I may be able to see it return in two weeks or so.

March 28th, 7.25am.

A large spot has appeared on the South-Eastern Limb. I think this is the return of Region 2960, which did contain a very large, impressive spot. My understanding is that Solar Rotation is around 25 days, so the time elapsed of thirteen days fits ... maybe. Either way, the spot on the Limb will receive a new Regional number, because they never revive numbers after Regions cross the Western Limb.

Regions 2975 &76 now look quite different. R2975 is a collection of larger, but fewer spots. The largest spot shows much internal structure. R2976 is a larger collection of small and tiny spots. I counted eighteen. It is very impressive.

A little above and more to the Solar Centre from R2976 is a chain of six or more small spots, which I expect may receive its own Regional name.

Region 2974 continues to survive with only one small spot in the Southern-Central area.

PS: Thanks Joe. Keep up your solar projections.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

April 2nd, 8.05am.

Region 2978 in the central area has a very large sunspot. I decided to try and see it with my unaided eyes.

Using a full aperture solar filter suitable for an 80mm scope, I put a towel over my head and was able to keep both eyes open and successfully saw the spot. It was easier than I expect, though I did not see another large spot in Region 2976 which is close to the Western Limb.

There has been so much happening in the last few days that words literally failed me to describe the 'happenings'.

I have learnt much in the last year, but this has made me realise how much there is to understand. I am going to take a break from reporting these observation and hopefully, I will be able to catch up on some of the solar literature during this time.

I hope (perhaps vainly) to come back later with the knowledge to explain in more detail on the interesting things that I see.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:26 PM
Averton (P and C)

Quote:
April 2nd, 8.05am.
I have learnt much in the last year, but this has made me realise how much there is to understand. I am going to take a break from reporting these observation and hopefully, I will be able to catch up on some of the solar literature during this time.

I hope (perhaps vainly) to come back later with the knowledge to explain in more detail on the interesting things that I see.

Hi Bob,

We assume this means that your Solar Astronomy book from France has arrived.

While you are studying you may be interested in another book we have come across called "The Greatest Sun Spot Groups" by Peter Meadows. This time it is downloadable for free.
https://www.petermeadows.com/solarbo...wPmDeHqveCw-5c
It has some amazing images and information of past solar events of note.
Please return soon as we will miss your daily reports.
Hope you enjoy your sabbatical

Last edited by Averton; 02-04-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:38 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
April 2nd, 8.05am.

Region 2978 in the central area has a very large sunspot. I decided to try and see it with my unaided eyes.

Using a full aperture solar filter suitable for an 80mm scope, I put a towel over my head and was able to keep both eyes open and successfully saw the spot. It was easier than I expect, though I did not see another large spot in Region 2976 which is close to the Western Limb.

There has been so much happening in the last few days that words literally failed me to describe the 'happenings'.

G'day Bob, we will all indeed miss your solar reports. Enjoy your well deserved break!

Joe
Old 02-04-2022, 10:49 PM
DJT (David)

Hi Bob
I have been reading your observations daily for a while now and have been encouraged to observe the sun as a result.

Everybody has L plates and taking the time to understand more about what we observe on a day to day basis is such a cool thing to do.

Enjoy yourself and come back soon.

David