Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 03-05-2021, 10:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been getting some great video...it is so difficult to get single snaps...I realised my photo shop softeware does not have video like the previous softeware so last night I downloaded a trial...dont know what it will cost for the real deal but so far I cant even work out how to cut bits I dont want...I will sort it out and in time hopefully post something on YouTube...thanks for posting your photos.
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 03:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Not sure here just testing how to get a reasonable image...I have to take a single frame from a ifeo clip because these little guys rush around and you really cant get a single snap that is in anyway sharp..this is not ideal but I need to start somewhere.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (microbetest.jpg)
95.7 KB90 views
Old 06-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Huey (Michael)

microscope pictures

Alex,
great shots. Try to get some methyl cellulose (papermache glue or wallpaper glue, they are all the same). Dissolve some in a bit of water and add this to the sample with the fast moving critters. You have to experiment to get the right viscosity. It definitely slows the down.

All the best with your recovery and discovery.

Huey
Old 06-05-2021, 07:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
Alex,
great shots. Try to get some methyl cellulose (papermache glue or wallpaper glue, they are all the same). Dissolve some in a bit of water and add this to the sample with the fast moving critters. You have to experiment to get the right viscosity. It definitely slows the down.

All the best with your recovery and discovery.

Huey
You mentioned that before I had not forgotten but I dont want to hurt them.
Alex
Old 07-05-2021, 12:26 PM
Huey (Michael)

Alex,
it doesn't hurt them, it just slows them down provided it's not too viscous.

Huey
Old 07-05-2021, 04:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks I will try and find some next shopping day.
Alex
Old 14-05-2021, 03:04 AM
leee (Thomas)

So glad you have a Scope. And a new Horizon.
Old 14-05-2021, 06:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Thomas...well my adventures with a microscope started with your generous and kind gift of a top class binocular unit.

Since then I bought a camera for it, then a tri nocular unit with its own camera ( inferior to your bi nocular unit but handy) and then a small digital microscope rather than getting a stereo microscope which can used via my phone or lap top.

At the moment I need to stay at the main house so the girls can look after me....honestly I am on so many pills I need them just to count them out and as at yesterday find I need them to monitor my blood pressure..one thing I am taking has me somewhat befuddled such that I really can not be my usual independent self.

Not safe for me to drive even...and not up to astro photography...last night was clear but I just could not do it...

Because the tri nocular is much smaller than the unit you sent me I am using it... having to sit it on the dining room table...thank goodness it is a huge table and I can "play" on one end.

I am spending hours each day looking and learning.

I have been searching for a water bear now for two weeks without luck...I did see one before the operation but did not photograph it unfortunately...but I am seeing many other interesting things.

Needless to say the hobby that you introduced me to is taking my mind off other things and keeping me well occupied and I can never thank you enough for your wonderful gift of such s fine instrument.

Here is a photo of the "Microscope" desk in the observatory taken well before the operation showing both microscopes.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20201214091216_resize_7.jpg)
63.3 KB79 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 14-05-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 14-05-2021, 09:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

here is another attempt...it is not as easy as I expected...at the moment I am only capturing video and selecting a frame..until I get my hands on the wall paper glue I can only get a photos via video...
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (microbetest.jpg)
119.7 KB60 views
Old 14-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Huey (Michael)

Alex, don't wait. You can also use gelatine, soak, heat (but don't boil) until dissolved and then dilute to the consistency you want after it has cooled. The liquid should be slight yellowish/brown.
Experiment with anything that is clear but makes the water sample more viscous.

Huey
Old 14-05-2021, 10:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks again. I left a cover slide in some water from the fish pond and it had a thin covering so I had a look..there were millions of small critters with most stationary but then you could see "streams" of them going in a particular direction cutting thru millions at rest...and it was not water flow they were all rushing along to get somewhere but following them did not show anything in particular just less densely populated...and there were various streams of them.
Anyways I need to give it a rest my eyes are getting tied...even sore...which presumably is a side effect of my meds.

alex
Old 14-05-2021, 11:31 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I have a mate in the UK who is doing some excellent "science/ art" imaging with his microscope and a combination of linear polarising filters and home made waveplates.
The results are amazing!!!!
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...loration-4.pdf

Here's an image of his set-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SW380T.jpg)
61.0 KB41 views
Old 14-05-2021, 12:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I have a mate in the UK who is doing some excellent "science/ art" imaging with his microscope and a combination of linear polarising filters and home made waveplates.
The results are amazing!!!!
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...loration-4.pdf

Here's an image of his set-up.
Thank you Ken for posting all that..I love it..
I found another water flea. Tracked it until it slowed up and managed a little more detail.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (flea.jpg)
74.5 KB67 views
Old 14-05-2021, 04:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Ken...My microscope looks like the same model as your mates..maybe even the same camera... but mine does not have a polariser.. I am pretty sure the microscope that Thomas sent me has a polariser in its base but I have not figured out exactly what I am working with there as the system looks a little complex with some sort of light manipulation past my tri nocular unit pictured here...the second photo shows the microscope Thomas sent with the base cover off and you can see a little of the light management system.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20210514_162820_resize_83.jpg)
125.2 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20200928184255_resize_16.jpg)
150.0 KB50 views
Old 14-05-2021, 05:51 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Alex,
James uses a bit of linear polarized sheet from eBay.
One small filter below the stage, above the illuminator and another up at the eyepiece end.
The waveplates made using Sellotape, lie just below the sample.
That’s all’s that is needed.
The samples can be prepared from various household chemicals - he uses Asprin and other common tablets dissolved in alcohol.
I’m very impressed with his results, I have an old zeiss which I may set up to give a go.
Ken
Old 08-06-2021, 02:22 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, i saw on the ABC website today, this story about a 24,000 year old critter that was frozen in the permafrost, and has returned to life. I thought you would be interested.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...rost/100191788
Old 09-06-2021, 07:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, i saw on the ABC website today, this story about a 24,000 year old critter that was frozen in the permafrost, and has returned to life. I thought you would be interested.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...rost/100191788
Thank you Glen I appreciate you providing the link.
I get to see a few of these but had no idea they could survive for such long periods.
Alex