Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 10-07-2021, 11:00 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A different approach to the Lagoon.

I have been deprived of imaging for a long long time so I returned to reprocessing my Lagoon even though I have reprocessed it a couple of times already.

This is the combining of different sessions with different framing which necessitated a heavy crop.

Each time I do this I reduce the number of subs trying to select only the best...this one is down to 550 in total (60 secs mainly) which I stacked all together for a luminance and then individual stacks for red, blue, green, HA, O11 and S11...so somewhat unconventional, stacked in DSS using 3x drizzle which I feel helps, Startools, and Photoshop . I used some very high gain and short exposures and although Startools did a great job on noise reduction there is still a fair bit there...I used the burn tool to darken dust and frankly may have been too heavy handed as the image has taken on a cartoon flavour..however it kept me occupied and happy but certainly it does not look natural...so this is my "artistic" approach.
I do feel over the various processes the detail has improved..which at this stage of my journey is what I want..colour I dont know but that is something I will eork on in my new images as I have some ideas to sidestep my colour blindness.

I have posted similar but cant find the earlier one to make a comparison but I like to consider that it was worth the extra effort going thru for the last cull of not so good subs.

Please if you have the time tell me what you think of my approach.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20210710_110215.jpg)
76.9 KB103 views
Old 10-07-2021, 11:19 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

How long did that all take???????
Old 10-07-2021, 11:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The captures were all up over 7 nights as even initially I was throwing out probably 40 % after each night..I had about 750 good ones to start my first cull.
Stacking I did over a couple of days as 3x drizzle is very slow even on my desk top.
Startools I get thru rather fast these days probably 30 minutes for each RBGL,ha,O and S and I get three composites in RBG in star tools that I merge in photo shop...I really dont know the time exactly as it was off and on over a week or more...so long I lost touch really.
Alex
Old 10-07-2021, 11:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I just realised I had one to add for star colour but it seems to be lost????
Alex
Old 10-07-2021, 11:35 AM
PKay (Peter)

One of the most thought provoking images I have ever seen Alex...aside from your last one

Good to see you back mate!
Old 11-07-2021, 04:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Peter sorry for the delay in a reply.
Alex