Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2021, 10:25 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

EQ5 volume...

Hi,

I am now looking at how much people load up their EQ5 mounts with equipment.

I personally have my TS80, Canon 450D, Focus Controller, 24mm/60mm Guide Scope, 120MM Guide camera and Raspberry Pi4 and a few odds and sods. (The image of my rig is not loaded as mention but is similar minus the new Guide Scope)

The whole combination is under 700mm(L) x 300mm(W) x 250mm(H). When I place it on the mount and tripod the dimensions I need to cover it are 900mm(L) x 400mm(W) x 1100mm(H).

The reason for the excessive height is because that takes in dimension is that the measurement is taken from the Lens holder under the tripod and includes the mount in the Park position. The width includes an insulating barrier.

If anyone would like to share their dimension it would help with a new DIY project that I wish to consider as a commercial product.

I would prefer to design a single unit with the majority of configurations people have as possible. The image below is an already tested enclosure and has withstood the heaviest rains we have had here at least in Adelaide and remained dry as a bone with all my equipment still inside.

I am in the process of re-designing it to be lighter and stronger but still have not yet decided on the final shell cover.

Advantage:
  • Maintain Polar Alignment
  • Doesn't clog up the garage fully assembled
  • Give my back some relief
  • Complete access to the lawn for gardening and watering. (Essential for rental premises.)

This is the first iteration I expect there will be more.

For those who take notice, the tripod is not mounted directly on the ground, I developed another idea to position the tripod and those results are good as well. More iterations of that as well. My landlord like the idea for this as well, to get full access to the lawn was one of my number one reasons to continue this project.
The leg pipes will not be the final product, they would be too expensive to deliver maybe. It was something I thought of to prevent water from the sprinklers rusting the tripod and getting up through the leg into the enclosure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210607_170830_50PC.jpg)
204.6 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (20201119_191538_50PC.jpg)
211.6 KB23 views