Old 30-03-2018, 08:29 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

AZ-EQ6 Dual Mounting

Kunama has all but convinced me that I should get the AZ-EQ6 so that I can observe with my Mewlon in AZ mode and not EQ mode.

The AZ-EQ6 allows for dual scope mounting when it AZ mode but I was wondering how well this worked in EQ mode? Now obviously a longer scope will hit the tripod but I am thinking about dual mounting DSLRs, one on each end of the mount (telescope side and counter weight side).
Old 30-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Wavytone

Well, its a fine mount for the Mewlon, no question. I have an AZ-EQ6 for my Santel MK91, works beautifully.

However the side-by-side setup in AZ mode is somewhat clunky and looks like an afterthought cobbled together - note the ability to align the two is very limited and its not exactly rigid, either (my dec shaft can slop a bit as the scope moves around). It will work well enough for two DSLR's or small wide field scopes up to say 70mm. But alignment better than a degree is unlikely.

If you have access to a machine shop a vastly superior adapter for a second scope would be easy to make.
Old 31-03-2018, 05:33 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Hi Colin, Why do side by side in EQ mode, when for observing, AZ mode is available?
I have an AZEQ6 and always use AZ mode for observing or EAA. ED80 on one side, and c9.25 or Esprit 120 on the other side. A very versatile and torquey mount. In my case I’ve had no trouble aligning both scopes.
Old 31-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You are completely correct Jim! What I was wondering is whether there would be enough room to dual mount DSLRs in EQ mode