Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 22-09-2021, 06:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Renato
I was living on soup for about a month but finally could not even manage it and was having only sustigen.

So thanks to my wonderful wonderful ex and carer I attended for yet another blood test...at least not once a day as when in hospital...you really get sick of it and my arms look like those of a smacky...after that she took me shopping but I insisted on using the walker rather than her pushing me in the wheel chair...the problem was I was not up to any sort of walk around the supermarket to check out all the tips offerred in this thread...but managed a b.b.q chook, some cold meat, lamb chops, dark fuit cake, ..they only had one smoked trout, coldslaw potato salad ... Vegies...but was too tired to get anything suggested here ..the first two lanes and I could not go on..plus she had lost patience because I was knocking myself about and dither over each item working out value price per kilo and if buying bulk shows an advantage..she however just sees it and buys it..got some excellent crumbed lamb cutlets from the old butcher we lived next door to at the previous property..I just had a craving...got home and could not help myself and eat half the chook plus two giant mushrooms..anyways nothing you could call "heat up' meals but I certainly have a nice little private stash...set two cutlets aside for a lunch treat today...

It seems the dramatic weight loss may have been a lot of mussle as my legs are rather sad...but at least I am not dead like only a week and a bit ago...but I cant stop eating...now although early a nice kranski for breakfast while I wait for the poridge.
Alex
Old 22-09-2021, 06:38 AM
leon

she however just sees it and buys it..

Good on ya Alex, and yea mate I am a bit like that, why would one dilly dally in the isles and handle everything. if it is something I need or want i just grab it.
Alice will shop and come home with stuff that was not on the list, I however if asked to get a bottle of milk and some bananas I will walk in the Supermarket and get the milk and fruit and go home.

Leon
Old 22-09-2021, 07:05 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

One of my greatest joys was to pick Dad up from the nursing home and take him shopping...he was the master of shopping..he would buy dog food if it was on special even though he did not have a dog..so there we went each of us with our walking frames ...Hey Dad where do I find the chilli gerkins? And off he would go .. and get the best value one...it was his thing and it made me so happy right to the end to give him that time..we would follow the rise and fall of prices as if they were shares in BHP....every time I shop now he is right there with me...I am the way I am in his honour.

Anyways I grew up poor, as did he, and you make your money go a long way..and you end up being able to build or make anything..I have built two homes, did the plumbing, electrics..built boats.....I will scrimp to blow it on big ticket items however... and these days I can afford anything and everything I want because the savings built up over time...and certainly now have to pay others to do what I once would do..
Alex
Old 22-09-2021, 07:07 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Alex, I have no idea if you like European-type of sours (chunky and not creamy), but having a European origin I love them, so even if I'm a good cook and cooking for my family and friends all the time I like 'La Zuppa' soups from Coles, Woolies and IGA. These are one of the best ready meals I tried and the only one I still eating from time to time. And more importantly they are widely available and can be easily delivered.

Another option is to use one of the many ready meals available online with delivery. Like 'The Dinner Ladies', 'Marcos', 'Dinners Ready Meals' etc. There are PLENTY of them available online (not in Coles/Woolies/IGA). The trick is to find which one is closes to you.

Hope that helps.
Old 22-09-2021, 07:41 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
Alex, I have no idea if you like European-type of sours (chunky and not creamy), but having a European origin I love them, so even if I'm a good cook and cooking for my family and friends all the time I like 'La Zuppa' soups from Coles, Woolies and IGA. These are one of the best ready meals I tried and the only one I still eating from time to time. And more importantly they are widely available and can be easily delivered.

Another option is to use one of the many ready meals available online with delivery. Like 'The Dinner Ladies', 'Marcos', 'Dinners Ready Meals' etc. There are PLENTY of them available online (not in Coles/Woolies/IGA). The trick is to find which one is closes to you.

Hope that helps.
Thanks it all helps.
Thinking things thru...its not really having ready to heat meals that is the problem..it really boils down to not being entirely happy cooking in the ex's kitchen..she gets put out when I burn her fry pan..which I get but I feel under pressure..I like to cook...and actually am a rather good cook..I had a mate who's father was a leading Sydney chef and once a month he would come to our place..we took turns at doing rather flash dishes..he recons my lobster morney was better than his dads..a huge thing..I do French, Chinese..I do a eight course Chinese that has everyone take notice...but here its not being able to cook... heating stuff was to minimise the problem..but that really is not the problem...I miss being alone in my van or house in Sydney...I need to get back to my van ..thats the real issue...I can even do Indian
Alex
Old 24-09-2021, 07:47 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Most expensive solution - new wife

(ducking for cover here - its a JOKE - I should know, my wife does ZERO cooking)

Some of the new style retort pouch meals are EXCELLENT - my wife used to take them to work when I was too lazy to cook. LOTS of cuisine styles available.

And to be perfectly honest, even though I was a chef for too many years of my early life, there is nothing wrong with a can of baked beans on toast (with a slice of cheese on the bread before covering on beans and popping into the microwave). Cheap cassoulet, eh Monsieur Aragnou?
Old 24-09-2021, 09:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Lewis for your input..once a chef ..you do seem a very talented chap indeed.
You mention baked beans...when on the boat my stand by dish was salami, give it a fry, and cover with baked beans..just so tasty.

After my shop the other day which saw not one tv dinner type I have been eating like a horse...well thats not right..I am looking at my horses now and they would never eat the stuff I eat...whos a nice boy..they are so cute...anyways..I got a bbq chook for "later" but could not help myself and had both wings and a drumstick and all the stuffing plus two huge mushrooms before I could put it away for meals...cooked six lamb chops ( baked in a slow oven and they were just too nice...so two did not make it to the "stash".. I have salad plus coldslaw and potato salad ... So going from a cup of Sustigen if I could keep it down to eating non stop all day...for breakfast upped it from a small serve of poridge to a huge serve and a kransky sausage...fuit cake for morning tea and straight into lunch..chicken or ham with salad and husband beater bread with liberal butter..more cake and potato chips for afternoon tea..but by dinner I did not feel that hungry so I just heated up two pre baked lamb forequater chops...they are best bbqd but baked with garlic was excellent...mmm might go get the last two while I cook some poridge.
Better weigh myself as I want to level off at say eleven and a half stone...
Alex