Old 15-04-2010, 09:02 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

If it was a little larger you could fit a stubbie in it
Old 15-04-2010, 10:15 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Yes, thats what I meant by zoom, its very cool and fast.
My contortionist days may be over!
Old 16-04-2010, 11:00 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
My contortionist days may be over!
Yeah, I stand upright with my PC on a table about 3-4 feet away and focus. So much easier on the eyes and body.
Old 16-04-2010, 09:11 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
But it creeps towards 5K with a set of decent filters/wheel and adapters - friggin' silly money for an "entry level" CCD!! The OSC rules out NB stuff too! I think I'm repeating myself now!!
SBIG ST8300 = $2895.00 ATS
Starlight X FW = $560.00 Astronomy electronics center (2" 5 position)
Astronomiks LRGB type II = $535.00 AU OPT

Total = $3990.00

Leaves $1010.00 to get to 5K, you must need a lot of adaptors .

What would the cooled DSLR cost new, 2 - 2.5 K ??? and only delta T of 25 degrees C.

QHY were selling the 9 with FW and filters for about 3K not so long ago, probably could still get one close to that price now.

Mark
Old 16-04-2010, 09:43 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post

What would the cooled DSLR cost new, 2 - 2.5 K ??? and only delta T of 25 degrees C.

Mark
I already have the 40D - user supplied mod = $1230AU
-18degs +/- 2degs around my neck of the woods (4 degs last night) pushes the Cooled DSLR down to around -14degs - very respectable for a CMOS sensor

I've been looking through as many QHY8/9 OSC galleries as I can and I cant see too much difference between those images and the ones I can produce with a modded 40D minus cooling at present!

Anyhoo...I've decided not to stress about the whole thing and buy a nice acoustic guitar instead! Perhaps it'll allow me to pass the time between those ICNR periods!!
Old 16-04-2010, 11:25 PM
marki

Yes I think the difference between OSC and DSLR cameras is pretty small with the exception of ease of processing. A cooled CCD will give you a cleaner starting point and generally a little more detail (16 bit). How will you deal with dewing @ -14 degrees, the sensor is not in a argon purged sealed chamber. I had the same problem when I put an outback cooler on a DSI, the dew point set the limit of cooling I was able to achieve and this was at best 5 degrees absolute. My QHY9 mono will easily maintain -25 degrees C absolute during hot summer nights (65 -70% cooling) and this allows the use of a permenent darks library which is more than just a little convenient when it comes to calibration. Having a motorised filterwheel is also good value as I can set maxim to do all the filter changing for me using auto capture routines. The filters don't get damaged or dirty as they stay in the FW. Guitar hey...was jamming with my nephew today .... wonderwall of all things .

Mark

Quote:
I've been looking through as many QHY8/9 OSC galleries as I can and I cant see too much difference between those images and the ones I can produce with a modded 40D minus cooling at present!

Anyhoo...I've decided not to stress about the whole thing and buy a nice acoustic guitar instead! Perhaps it'll allow me to pass the time between those ICNR periods!!
Old 17-04-2010, 08:11 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
How will you deal with dewing @ -14 degrees, the sensor is not in a argon purged sealed chamber.

Mark
Not too sure how the Central DS mob get around the dew problem.
There are a few Astro 40D owners on IIS and I can't recall dewing being a major problem for them - may have to track them down and ask the difficult questions.
Cheers
Doug
Old 17-04-2010, 10:14 AM
marki

Condensation and ice always prevented me from lowering the temp too much with an open chamber and some nights 10 - 15 degrees was about all I could get before the trouble started. It really did not matter how many bags of desicant I placed around the inside of the camera body it just wouldn't play. The main advantage of a cooled camera is being able to hold a constant temperature no matter what the atmosphere is doing so you can save lots of time by having a darks library which can be shot at any time then applied to any set of images you take. Having to shoot darks for each session can be a waste of good imaging time and unless the temp is kept constant you may have trouble getting a good calibration set.

Mark
Old 17-04-2010, 10:44 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
How will you deal with dewing @ -14 degrees, the sensor is not in a argon purged sealed chamber.

Mark
Just had a surf around the information section on the Central DS site...
http://www.centralds.net/en/index.htm

Looks like they do place the sensor in an airtight chamber which helps to address dew formation.
Doug
Old 17-04-2010, 11:38 PM
marki

Hmmm has an internal heater as well which would be handy on wet humid nights. Could be the ticket, good luck with it in any case.

Mark