Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
DJDD

DSLR prices in Japan

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is in Japan at the moment (and checking the forums! )?

I may be going over to Japan in February and was wondering if anyone knew the prices of DSLR's in Japan at the moment? i.e. do i buy here or there?

For example, the Canon 450D, 40D, 50D?

I checked a few online sites but often the price in store is markedly different to that online.

The dollar is very weak against the yen so what was a good bargain last year may not be now (i.e. the difference in price nearly paid for the airfare).

any assistance is welcome!

DJDD
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
bojan
amateur

It is also a matter of repair if something goes wrong.
And, sometimes there is a problems with power supply (they use 110V).
Also Japanese menus and manuals.. You should go to shops that have export models (for example those near Akihabara station in Tokyo), and usually they are more expensive.
With your passport presented, you will not have to pay GST (so the price will be 5% less)

Last edited by bojan; 10-11-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 AM
DJDD

Thanks for the reply, bojan.

I have been tryng to find an old thread about Canon warranties but no luck.

What do you mean by "Export Models"?
For instance, isn't a Canon Kiss X2 the same as a 450d, all I need to do is set the language and get hold of an english manual (from the store if I am lucky or online if not).

I bought a Canon "snap happy" (compact digital) last year without any problems. I got the last english manual at the store, as well.

I have found a wide range of prices online, from 50000 yen to about 90000 yen, for a 450d body. I wonder if I can find something similar in-store. That will help pay for the trip (a little).

cheers,
DJDD
Old 10-11-2008, 08:21 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDD View Post

What do you mean by "Export Models"?
In japan, they very often run separate productions for domestic and overseas markets.. What is appealing to Japanese buyer does not necessarily means it would be accepted to western markets so they cover both.
When I bought my first digital camera (Samurai, by Kyocera) it was Japanese model. All menus were Japanese, and AC adapter was for 110V.
This was not the problem for me, since one of my friends translated couple of key pages from manual, and I was using only download from the pool of camera features available, so menus were irrelevant for me, I just learned how navigate to get to the download page. The original AC adapter was useless, though. Luckily, on their website I managed to find the English version of twain driver (for US models).
On the next trip to Tokyo, I found the export model in one of shops (I think it was Bicc Camera Shop) - with English menus, manuals etc. But it was 30% more expensive...
So, just be careful what you are getting, it may prove to be more expensive at the end of the day...
Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM
DJDD

thanks fory your replies, bojan.
you have given me things to consider...
Old 10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Tilt (Michael)

I'm in the same boat, I'll be going to Japan in April 09 and will need to decide before I go if I'm going to buy here or when I arrive in Tokyo. Either way, the plan is for a 50D to end up in my camera bag.

Michael
Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
DJDD

well, a quick look at Yodobashi Camera shows 50D body only at 148,000 yen, whereas ted's has it at $1799.95.

that's why i was hoping to find out from someone there if in store it might be cheaper.

i hav seen it for as low as about 110,000 yen...

Old 10-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDD View Post
well, a quick look at Yodobashi Camera shows 50D body only at 148,000 yen, whereas ted's has it at $1799.95.

that's why i was hoping to find out from someone there if in store it might be cheaper.

i hav seen it for as low as about 110,000 yen...
Currently 1AUD = 66 yen

so 148,000 yen is around 2242 AUD and 110,000 yen is around 1700 AUD which if you include GST makes Ted's price look pretty good.

Cheers
Paul
Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 AM
DJDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Currently 1AUD = 66 yen

so 148,000 yen is around 2242 AUD and 110,000 yen is around 1700 AUD which if you include GST makes Ted's price look pretty good.

Cheers
Paul
yep. pity. i like the idea of a buying bargains overseas.

now, why didn't i buy a lot of US $'s a few months ago?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Currently 1AUD = 66 yen

Cheers
Paul
Hmm, not so good. But who knows what the Yen vs. AUD will be in 4 months time. If its still similar to what it is now I will probably buy here 30 days before I depart, and claim back the GST via the Tourist Refund Scheme in Customs.

Michael