Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-08-2022, 09:30 PM
Steve514 (Steve)

Eyepiece Advice Please

Hello everyone, looking for a bit of advice please.
I have a Skywatcher 10" Goto Dobsonian. 4.7f
I have the Baader Mark IV Zoom
6mm and 4.5mm Saxon Cielo HD
Standard 25mm and 9mm SW Plossl

I'm looking to purchase a few more eyepieces but can't decide between TV Plossl in the range of 32mm, 25mm, 18mm and 9mm
Or purchase similar to these in more Saxon Cielo HD or something else

What do you think would work best in a fast scope?
I'm impressed with the brightness of the stock SW Plossls but not the aberrations. However reviews indicate TV Plossls are nice and bright.
Would Saxons be just as bright (even with extra elements?)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 26-08-2022, 06:33 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

With the Baader Zoom I would think the next EP would be a 25mm+ as you seem to have mid-high power FL's covered. I'd read a few reviews for the Omni plossl versus the TV plossl in the 32mm range. Depending on what your targets are the omni rates very well and can be had for $50 new.

Steve
One example, but I'd suggest you find others... telescope F speed is the thing(as always), at F6 I am very happy with the 32mm omni.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...25-comparison/

The TV 32mm is $280, the omni $50, the APM 30mm UFF is $195 euro and well worth a look, unless you want a local supplier. Then its a UFF 30mm at $335, Sky Rover, AUS. APM are producing some great EP's atm and worth some thought.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 26-08-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 26-08-2022, 09:18 AM
astro744

Current Tele Vue Plossl are 55 (2"), 40, 32, 25, 20, 15, 11, 8

Older models include 26, 21, 17, 13, 10.5, 10.4, 7.4

See https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_...=13&Tab=_chron

10.5mm is not listed in the Chronology. Perhaps was sold when 10.4 was no longer made.
Old 30-08-2022, 12:37 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Steve,

The Saxon Cielo are a very good budget eyepiece, with a reasonable AFOV and good eye relief. They also work pretty well in an F6 newtonian. They start to struggle in F5 and faster newtonians. From a purists point of view they aren't the equal of a Televue Plossl but have a larger AFOV and better eye relief. They perform very well in an F6 newtonian without a paracorr. If you plan on keeping that scope for a few years to come my choice would be the Saxon Cielo over the Televue Plossl due to the greater eye relief and apparent FOV. On axis they won't be far short of the TV plossls. If a larger faster scope (sub F5) is on your radar within the next 12 to 18 months then you might be better holding off on eyepieces that won't be the best choice in a future scope and saving your money and getting eyepieces that will perform well in all your scopes now and into the future. Those eyepieces of course are 4 times the price of the Saxon Cielo and include, Pentax XW, Baader Morpheus, the APM UFF, Televue Nagler Ethos Delos and Delite and a few others.

Cheers
John B
Old 30-08-2022, 01:53 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Steve. I agree with John about the cielo eyepjeces. I have a few and am very pleased with them. I also have a celestron xl lx which is the same eyepiece. I had a few televue plossls and while they are sharp I found the 8mm and 11mm eye reliefs too short (even though I don't wear glasses) and the 32mm I didn't like the 22mm long eye relief. The cielos at 16mm are right in the sweet spot and very comfortable to use with their really good screw up eyecups and 60 degree fov. They are excellent in my f6 newt and actually still very good in my little f5 heritage. Hope this helps,
Cheers, Richard

Last edited by croweater; 31-08-2022 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling