Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Fantastic. Thank you.

Just over 3 weeks to go now!

Thanks Chris,
You just had to jinx it didn't you....

https://www.news.com.au/national/que...ba693aed1bd963
Old 30-06-2022, 12:24 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Well we had a holiday trip to Queensland visiting family planned for this time but due to circumstances it has to be put off for a month so I'll miss Astrofest. Will have to have my own little one when I get up there, we'll be out west of Gympie (about 150km north of Duckadang) so plenty of dark skies. Hope everyone who can make it has a fantastic time.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:51 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

I have provided a further update on the qldastrofest site. I need to confirm when online sales finish, but you can appreciate that once the committee are at Duckadang accessing the internet and the bank account is intermittent to non-existent. If you are planning to book anything online therefore you would be well advised to do so earlier rather than later.

The main point of the update though was to remind you all that anyone over 30 can now have their Second Covid booster and it would be prudent to do so prior to Astrofest starting - preferably this week - mine is tomorrow.

You could also consider bringing RAT tests with you just in case they are needed.

It is way too early to know what the weather will be like but I have never known an event with no clear skies at all. In fact the very first one I ever attended was 2010 and that year we had several days of torrential downpour, but still enough clear skies to go away very happy.

The number of bookings is healthy, but below previous years I believe. No doubt conerns over Covid and also the cost have impacted decisions. I'm sure a few of you are just waiting until the last minute to book and we may see a flurry of activity in the next week.

There are around 500 raffle tickets sold so far, which is certainly far short on previous years, BUT I don't really think more than a handful have ever sold prior to the event. Online purchases have made that possible this year. The revenue from those tickets though remains far below the value of the prizes so please buy more at the event and you might be very happy you did.

Last week UNIFY purchased their prizes worth $1500 and details are on the qldastrofest website.

It will, I'm sure be a wonderful event. I will be posting details imminently about the main speaker.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:37 PM
glend (Glen)

Just a reminder for NSW residents, who are Seniors or pensioners, you are entitled to the NSW Seniors Travel card,. This card can be used to buy petrol, to the value of $250. This could go along way towards paying for your drive to Qld. You can apply online through Service NSW, and the card arrives within a few days, already activated.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:16 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

I am delighted to announce that this year we are most fortunate that Dr Vanessa Moss, Radio Astronomer at CSIRO has agreed to be the main speaker on Saturday 30th July.

Please refer to the link below for her biography and talk title and abstract.

https://www.qldastrofest.org.au/speakers/
Old 13-07-2022, 10:58 AM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

Question: I'm one of the late bookers who wasn't able to confirm attendance and book until Yesterday (12th).

Is there an ETA on when our bookings will be confirmed?
I'm in no rush, just curious
Old 13-07-2022, 11:34 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Got my 4th booster yesterday. Pfizer. No side effects what so ever. I just crave ASAHI a little more than usual.

Quote:
The main point of the update though was to remind you all that anyone over 30 can now have their Second Covid booster and it would be prudent to do so prior to Astrofest starting - preferably this week - mine is tomorrow.

You could also consider bringing RAT tests with you just in case they are needed.
Old 13-07-2022, 12:59 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Got my 4th booster yesterday. Pfizer. No side effects what so ever. I just crave ASAHI a little more than usual.
That's not due to the booster....

Old 13-07-2022, 02:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
That's not due to the booster....

Mumm's the word.
Old 13-07-2022, 06:55 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterObsession View Post
Question: I'm one of the late bookers who wasn't able to confirm attendance and book until Yesterday (12th).

Is there an ETA on when our bookings will be confirmed?
I'm in no rush, just curious
Tony is the registrar and will confirm once he checks the bank account to see the money arrived.
Old 13-07-2022, 07:20 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Martin and I booked in for Sun through Sat
Old 13-07-2022, 09:20 PM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

Quote:
Tony is the registrar and will confirm once he checks the bank account to see the money arrived.
Ok I seem to be confused, I was going to transfer payment but at the end of the email I received I read: "We look forward to confirming your order soon. Please do not transfer payment until the order is confirmed by the Registrar."

Am I waiting for a second email or do I just transfer the amount after placing my booking?
Old 14-07-2022, 02:32 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Be very careful of moonburn when celebrating pre dawn .
Old 14-07-2022, 10:38 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Ok I seem to be confused, I was going to transfer payment but at the end of the email I received I read: "We look forward to confirming your order soon. Please do not transfer payment until the order is confirmed by the Registrar."

Am I waiting for a second email or do I just transfer the amount after placing my booking?
I wrote them almost exactly the same question.

Wait for the second email. They need to review your order, confirm they have camping/dorm space for you, then they will confirm the order & ask you to make payment.

Joe
Old 14-07-2022, 12:32 PM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
I wrote them almost exactly the same question.

Wait for the second email. They need to review your order, confirm they have camping/dorm space for you, then they will confirm the order & ask you to make payment.

Joe
Thanks that clarifies a lot. I've received a second email now indicating that my order is being processed but makes no suggestion that I should proceed to pay yet. I'm assuming that the email in question will specifically instruct me when to pay?

I'm sure the organisers are just busy so I'll be patient.
Old 15-07-2022, 04:35 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:

Thanks that clarifies a lot. I've received a second email now indicating that my order is being processed but makes no suggestion that I should proceed to pay yet. I'm assuming that the email in question will specifically instruct me when to pay?

I'm sure the organisers are just busy so I'll be patient.
It is certainly a busy time for the Registrar but I acknowledge the process doesn’t appear to be intuitive although there is rhyme to reason. The thinking goes like this:

If you booked and the site said ‘thank you now please pay x to this bank account’ and you followed immediately with payment there is a chance that either the person booking made a mistake or what they requested isn’t actually still available. For example if you booked to bring a caravan for a particular block of nights the system doesn’t actually know if there are any sites left. We may be selling something we can’t deliver and refunds/changes are required which is a pain. So, when you first book it is in a holding state waiting for the registrar to review it. Once all ok they send an email requesting payment. At this stage it is still only processing and only becomes confirmed when payment is received. More specifically when the registrar gets around to noticing which probably depends on how frequently he has time to check the bank.
Old 15-07-2022, 04:43 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
When I went to get my 4th shot the doctor said because I had Covid 3 weeks ago I already have as good or better immunity now than the shot which is based on the original ‘Asahi’ variant. I must have had the ‘Stone and Wood’ variant!
Old 16-07-2022, 09:50 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

The committee knows this is an extremely late reminder, but there are still a few days to act for those interested and able to do so.

if you would like to enter the Erwin van der Velden Astro-Photo Competition it is imperative that you send your entries to the Registrar prior to Wednesday morning.

The entries do not need to be super high resolution (and in fact best not), it is after all only going to be displayed on a monitor.

The rules normally that state that the images should be taken either at the previous Astrofest or any time during that year. Obviously AF hasn't happened for the past twice so entries can be from any time since the last Astrofest in 2019. For details of the rules, please visit:

https://www.qldastrofest.org.au/astr...etition-rules/

Thanks.
Old 16-07-2022, 05:46 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
The committee knows this is an extremely late reminder, but there are still a few days to act for those interested and able to do so.

if you would like to enter the Erwin van der Velden Astro-Photo Competition it is imperative that you send your entries to the Registrar prior to Wednesday morning.

The entries do not need to be super high resolution (and in fact best not), it is after all only going to be displayed on a monitor.

The rules normally that state that the images should be taken either at the previous Astrofest or any time during that year. Obviously AF hasn't happened for the past twice so entries can be from any time since the last Astrofest in 2019. For details of the rules, please visit:

https://www.qldastrofest.org.au/astr...etition-rules/

Thanks.

Do we really still have to print them A4 Chris? That's the main reason I usually don't bother - would be so easy to just email a jpg.
Old 17-07-2022, 08:46 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Do we really still have to print them A4 Chris? That's the main reason I usually don't bother - would be so easy to just email a jpg.

No, the images will be displayed in rotation on a monitor in the refectory for voting. So send entries to registrar@qldastrofest.org.au

Chris