Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 08-06-2022, 04:58 PM
Spaceman_Brown (Matt)

Sky-watcher Evolux 62ED and ZWO EAF Help

I have purchased a Sky Watcher Evolux 62ED and am trying to set it up for some automated wide field imaging.

While fitting a ZWO EAF to the bottom of the scope, I've noticed that none of the little silver flexible couplings that come standard with the EAF are compatible with the brass focusing pinion on the scope. The pinion is a larger diameter than previous Sky-Watcher ED scopes and doesnt fit the EAF couplings. I've attached a couple of photos of what I'm on about. The focusing pinion on the 62ED is approx 6mm in diameter and the largest of the couplings is approx 4.5mm.

Does anyone know of a possible workaround? Any information would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220606_135113.jpg)
164.0 KB183 views
Click for full-size image (20220606_135106.jpg)
163.4 KB167 views
Old 08-06-2022, 05:32 PM
Martin_S

Matthew, would these links help?

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...tail.1000002.0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000...21ef1802z9MjLa

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...10.62%21%21%21

Martin
Old 08-06-2022, 05:41 PM
Spaceman_Brown (Matt)

Yep! Awesome, thanks so much!
Old 08-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Martin_S

No worries.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:27 PM
Kuz

Just drill it out to the correct size if you have a.drill
I had to machine the outside diameter of one by putting a 4mm bolt through the middle to compress the coupling. I have also drilled one out to 6mm
Old 10-06-2022, 06:44 PM
Spaceman_Brown (Matt)

I was thinking of that but i was afraid of making a mess of the couplings.

How did you machine the outside diameter down? As in, what technique did you use?
It looks as though I'll have to shave the outside diameter down as well as the internal diameter for the couplings to fit my scope and I only have limited tools.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:24 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I have drilled one of these out for a friend faced with the same dilemma. There is plenty of metal in the solid section of the coupling to do this without affecting it’s integrity.
It is quite straightforward with the right tools. I did the hole widening with my lathe. But it would also be quite straightforward using a drill press.
I would not try to reduce the diameter of the focuser pinion. It is doable on a lathe, but it will detract from the integrity of your scope.
Do you know someone locally with the right tools? A local machinist could widen the hole in a “jiffy” - perhaps a six pack as a thank you.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:46 PM
generalzod (Stan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman_Brown View Post
I have purchased a Sky Watcher Evolux 62ED and am trying to set it up for some automated wide field imaging.

While fitting a ZWO EAF to the bottom of the scope, I've noticed that none of the little silver flexible couplings that come standard with the EAF are compatible with the brass focusing pinion on the scope. The pinion is a larger diameter than previous Sky-Watcher ED scopes and doesnt fit the EAF couplings. I've attached a couple of photos of what I'm on about. The focusing pinion on the 62ED is approx 6mm in diameter and the largest of the couplings is approx 4.5mm.

Does anyone know of a possible workaround? Any information would be appreciated.
I have the same telescope and have the same dilemma which size coupling did you purchase.?????
Old 18-09-2022, 11:29 PM
Spaceman_Brown (Matt)

I ended up doing what the others suggested and machined down one of the couplings that came with the EAF to fit the 62ED's focusing pinion. I drilled out the internal diameter with a drill and filed down down the external diameter with a hand file. It's not pretty but it now fits the scope.

However, once that was done, I found that the bracket that comes with the EAF doesn't line up with the threads on the underside of the 62ED, so I gave up haha. I ended up using a Samyang 135 for my automated travel rig. I might come back to it later though

I'm sure a more skilled metal machinist would be able to make it work. I'd be interested to hear from any others who have successfully setup the 62ED with the ZWO EAF
Old 06-10-2022, 01:37 PM
Rory

I got mine to work by having a mate machine down the coupler, drill out a large hole in the centre for the tensioner and widen the two slots where it threads into the underside of the scope. Bit of a pain but now it works great.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:31 PM
Spaceman_Brown (Matt)

Hey Rory, good to hear someone has it working. Could you post a photo of how you fixed it all to the underside of the scope?
Old 06-10-2022, 11:54 PM
oska (John)
Illucid

I don't have the same scope but I had the same outer problem. I'm lucky to have a lathe and made an arbour to fit and turned the outside down. You could use a rod that fits inside the coupling in a drill and secure it with the screws then sand/file it while the spinning the drill. Give it a good clean after.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:09 AM
oska (John)
Illucid

I 3d printed a clamping coupling bracket that clamps around the outside of the focuser flange
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20221006_235725-1.jpg)
140.5 KB152 views
Click for full-size image (20221006_235744-1.jpg)
169.4 KB135 views
Old 07-10-2022, 01:48 PM
Rory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman_Brown View Post
Hey Rory, good to hear someone has it working. Could you post a photo of how you fixed it all to the underside of the scope?
Hi Matt,
I used the existing holes with the grub screws in them and then just screwed in the bolts that came with it and some washers. After adding/widening holes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g9F...ew?usp=sharing
Old 05-10-2023, 02:42 PM
generalzod (Stan)

I've been ringing places around Sydney trying to find someone that can modify my telescope to include the ZWO focuser? Unfortunately places like Bintel or Testar won't do it. Just wondering whether anyone in this forum knows of someone around SYdney that can do it?