Old 09-05-2020, 02:44 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Help me pick an imager

Hi

I am looking for some advice on the right imager for me

My imaging train consists of an ED 80 (with a 0.8 focal reducer) -480 mm Focal length -and an ED 45 with a 0.85 focal reducer (275 mm focal length)

I plan to image in narrow band -H alpha primarily- practically exclusively

I am looking for help in deciding between two mono cameras- the QHY 163 M and the QHY 183 M.[or possibly their ZWO equivalents]. I couldn't justify -or afford-getting the latest and greatest given the amount of imaging i do-though I have taken the scope out more times in the last few weeks than in the previous five years !

The 183 M is more affordable has smaller pixels and should be OK -I think -in terms of sampling for both my scopes. The 163M is dearer and will undersample with my ED 45, which is a consideration but not a deal breaker

However I am concerned about the amp glow issue for the 183 reported in the past (for the ZWO version) which I seem to gather was difficult to remove even with sufficient darks. I dont know if this a problem in the QHY version or not

I see that with the ED80 and 0.8 reducer, H alpha images on Astrobin are overwhelmingly with the ZWO 1600 MM - the 163 equivalent. But have also read about the problems caused because the Panasonic sensor doesn't have an anti reflective coating.

Both these cameras are now quite dated so there is possibly a lot of experience with these and I would greatly appreciate any wisdom that anyone is willing to share. I was saving for a while for the 183 M but could stretch to the 163 M if it made sense.

Thanks in advance!

Narayan
PS this is a duplicate post think it fits better here going to try and delete the other but not maybe the mods can?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:53 PM
sunslayr (David)

I would go with the qy163m or 1600mm in my experience a bit of undersampling is preferable to the smaller fov of the 183mm. You can always make back a bit of resolution through dithering, wheres mosaicing is a bit of a pain. 183mm has amp glow and 1600mm has microlensing so pick your poison.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:39 PM
glend (Glen)

I owned a 1600MM-C for four years and never had any problems with it, a very forgiving camera for a beginner. AMP Glow is minimal compared to the 183, it really doesn't start to intrude until very long subs, and is easily calibrated out with Darks. As far as the issue of reflection is concerned, it is due to the standard camera type cover glass used when Panasonic make the sensors, and that a mono chip has a higher reflective surface than a colour chip, which would have a Bayer Matrix overlay. It is very manageable, mainly it only surfaces when you are trying to do long subs on faint objects which are very close to bright stars, for example the Horsehead Nebula and the star Alnitak. Careful composition of the shot to keep the bright object off the edge is all that is required. The 1600MM-C is still a very popular camera, and owners tend to hold onto them, which tells you something.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:25 AM
gregbradley

I have the ASI183mm Pro and its a new camera for me.
AMP glow so far has been no problem as it dark subtracts out very easily.

The 1600 has around 60% QE (Quantum efficiency is what percentage of photons are registered on the sensor and form an electron).

The 183 is 84%. That's very sensitive. For my use the smaller field of view is a good thing but for yours perhaps the wider field of view may be a big deal.
The 1600's FOV is only a little bit wider - like 20% or so.

I don't think there is a wrong decision here. There are lots of 1600's that go 2nd hand as well, not so many 183's.

Greg.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:31 AM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Thank you all very much for your responses. Sounds like its pretty even between the two but the 163/1600 has a larger user base and the larger FOV, the 183 will theoretically provide greater resolution, and the reported issues with both models are real but manageable

163- FOV for my system will be 2.11x 1.6

183-FOV will be 1.59 X 1.06

This compares with my current CCD FOV of 2.45x 1.63 - as per astrometry.net.- so both will be a smaller FOV than I am used to...

Hmmm.

Thanks again - wonderful to get first hand feedback

Narayan

Last edited by seeker372011; 10-05-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 13-05-2020, 10:42 PM
gregbradley

Yeah it seems the 1600 has a slight advantage if FOV is an important consideration.

I don't consider the 183 to be an all round sensor for my setup at 1260mm focal length. Its a close up, galaxy and small nebula sensor.

Cameras are like telescopes, one size does not fit all uses perfectly.

I would lean towards weighting field of view as an important criterion.

Greg.