Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-09-2021, 04:50 PM
leon

What is going on in NSW and Vic

Hi Guys, just an observation, Vic and NSW are flooded with Covid infections, that is a known. and I am a Vic

So why, SA is doing OK, WA is fine, Tessie is never mentioned, as are any States left over.

So what are these two States doing wrong, or is it just a population of idiots that live here.

My apologies to any people offended by this but have a look at the statistics. something is just not right.

I will probably be deleted with this, but so be it,

Leon
Old 25-09-2021, 05:07 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Leon

I'm in Melbourne myself. I suspect that population density and total numbers of people on the move are the main factors, followed closely by a big dose of bad luck!

Regardless, it is frustrating.

Philip
Old 25-09-2021, 05:28 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

As a Melbournite, I blame Sydney for bringing it down. It’s all Sydney’s fault!

I think it’s mostly to do with population density. NSW and Vic are the two largest economies so there is a lot more population movement.
Old 25-09-2021, 05:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dont worry Leon..look outside ..any riots? No?
I think so much comes from media sensational ism..dont fall for it.
The government cant win..whichever way they respond there will be opposition...realise that and dont worry...this time next year we will not be thinking about it.
Alex
Old 25-09-2021, 05:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think the best each of us can do is to spread the "dont panic" approach..spread the calm and dont be led by media sensationalism...lead by example.
Alex
Old 25-09-2021, 05:53 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Along with the already mentioned population density Melbourne and Sydney have the greatest diverse Ethnic population in the country and these have vast extended families. Communication hasn't been the greatest during the pandemic and communication to and within the ethnic groups has been poor and problematic.
Old 25-09-2021, 06:00 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Because delta is super contagious and there were a lot of unvaccinated people in NSW and VIC moving around. It took off like a fire. Now it will likely spread through the unvaccinated population in other states.
Old 25-09-2021, 06:07 PM
glend (Glen)

I don't think Covid is going to just fade away. Look at what is happening in Singapore, with over 80% fully vaccinated, they are having another outbreak. The US CDC has just approved a Pfizer booster for anyone over 60, in an attempt to regain antibodies that drop off six months after your second jab.
Living with Covid is going to mean a background of cases continuing. Even if we were 100% vaccinated, there will still be deaths. The various vaccines do not kill it, but reduce the severity of it if you do get it. You will still need to take precautions. This is the new normal. WA, SA, etc have been very lucky, but their population density works in their favour. Once borders open, so does Covid.
Old 25-09-2021, 06:38 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

LOTS of breakthrough infections amongst the fully and partially vaccinated people. Iceland - the world's most vaccinated nation with over 90% done, is undergoing another outbreak amongst the vaccinated (few hospitalisations or deaths, but HIGH case numbers). In fact, the US CDC released data showing VACCINATED people actually are MORE contagious to unvaccinated people as they carry a larger viral dose in their sinuses since their own body cannot uptake it as much due to the SLIGHT conferred resistance via the vaccine.

3 out of the 5 Sydney deaths recently were vaccinated. There is still a stupid sector of our community that thinks vaccination = immunity, which it DOES NOT. It makes you SAFER, not safe. This needs to be drummed into the populace.

COVID 19 is a corona virus, just as the common cold is a corona virus. It's NOT going away, but it will mutate to not kill the host as readily (already has - Delta is FAR less deadly than the initial strains, but more contagious) and our bodies will acquire antibodies against it. Some suffer greatly from respiratory infections, yet many more don't. Being a novel virus that we haven't directly experienced before, it adapts, we adapt.

Canberra is still in lockdown until - at the moment - the 15th October (I sincerely doubt that will be the actual date - it'll be pushed through to November for sure) - we have on average 16 cases a day. Over half have recovered already. None have died. Less than 12 a day are in hospital, with 2 on ventilation on average. On average, approx 80% of the positive cases have been completely asymptomatic and only tested due to having been at an exposure site. Viral fragments have been reported in our sewerage for the past 1.5 years, showing we have ALWAYS had it in the community, again with vast numbers being asymptomatic. There are some troubling indicators emerging in the vaccinated, showing spike protein proliferation in the brain and in the gonads, so this could be a worrisome side-effect, particularly in the younger population (mental health and reproduction issues). We didn't have time to truly test the vaccines in terms of long-term outcomes, and this global experiment is now showing some interesting and in some instances, worrying trends.

There is a massive over-reaction to this virus due to a greater amount of misunderstanding and extremely short-sighted and best-guess policy (just watch one of Andrew's farcical press conferences - he doesn't have a clue, nor do his minions).

Like Glen said - it's not going away. The vaccine is not a cure, not a panacea. It just bolsters the bodies own natural defences.
Old 25-09-2021, 06:41 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

and the only way to kill it is ! - to let it die
which means only one thing - isolation

geoff
Old 25-09-2021, 06:42 PM
leon

Thanks Guys, and Glen, I know what is happening, but Vic and NSW are always the target.
What are they doing wrong, no blame, is it the climate

Leon
Old 25-09-2021, 07:29 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

the almighty dollar Leon

people who need to chase the almighty dollar

geoff
Old 25-09-2021, 08:36 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Basically, Sydney is what happens if you don't face up to reality early enough and take necesarry action.

Melbourne is what happens if you live next to one of those places and have a population that are just completely over lockdown.
Old 25-09-2021, 08:51 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

that pretty much sums it up as well

geoff
Old 25-09-2021, 09:09 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

If the numbers are still right they said around 50 % of known contacts of a confirmed case do not always follow the advice given .

Personally A family member worked a whole day with a confirmed positive (unkown at the time ) case then came and visited us pre delta and vax.. no one got unwell thankfully but I do know one of the group of 10 told to isolate often did not... govts are to blame for underestimating stupid ..the mirror will take care of the rest in time unfortunately .

Last edited by GrahamL; 25-09-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 25-09-2021, 09:58 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Thanks Guys, and Glen, I know what is happening, but Vic and NSW are always the target.

Leon
Some poor shmuck of a cab driver picked up the virus when moving airline staff when not vaccinated. Delta is a bugger, highly infectious and everyone is always playing catch-up. Both governments are trying to react to something that has already happened. Once the cat is out of the bag…

It’s by the grace of whoever or whatever is out there that the other states have so far dodged a bullet. That and an incredibly strict set of rules about letting people in. Fair play to them.

The best that anyone can do is get themselves vaccinated which will reduce the risk of serious health issues or possibly death.

I remember watching the happenings in Italy last year where medics where triaging people who were seriously ill but not necessarily of COVID because of an overwhelmed hospital system. We do not want to go there. Anyone over 60? Pfft.. Jab away people.

David.
Old 25-09-2021, 10:05 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post

Leon
Some poor shmuck of a cab driver picked up the virus when moving airline staff when not vaccinated. Delta is a bugger, highly infectious and everyone is always playing catch-up. Both governments are trying to react to something that has already happened. Once the cat is out of the bag…

It’s by the grace of whoever or whatever is out there that the other states have so far dodged a bullet. That and an incredibly strict set of rules about letting people in. Fair play to them.

The best that anyone can do is get themselves vaccinated which will reduce the risk of serious health issues or possibly death.

I remember watching the happenings in Italy last year where medics where triaging people who were seriously ill but not necessarily of COVID because of an overwhelmed hospital system. We do not want to go there. Anyone over 60? Pfft.. Jab away people.

David.
Old 26-09-2021, 06:56 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

People have short-term memories, especially the media (sensationalism for sure). Here's a few from the past decade, showing flu pandemics in Australia and globally are nothing new.

ABS data 2017 flu deaths: https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...%20influenza~5

(as a comparison, current toll after 1.5 years: https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...and-statistics and https://covidlive.com.au/report/deaths - less than 2017 flu season considering this data is covers additional months)

NSW health department, 2016: https://www.slhd.nsw.gov.au/Populati...eport_2016.pdf

SMH Sydney report 2018: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...30-p522oa.html

Aussie Flu epidemic: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...ts-say/9319372

Take the precautions,stay home if sick and get your shots....and don't live in abject fear. Australia as a whole is doing incredibly well despite the ineptitude of several politicians (not naming names ) - our fatalities are not even a chip off the European or US numbers

Last edited by LewisM; 26-09-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 26-09-2021, 07:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
People have short-term memories, especially the media (sensationalism for sure). Here's a few from the past decade, showing flu pandemics in Australia and globally are nothing new.

ABS data 2017 flu deaths: https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...%20influenza~5

(as a comparison, current toll after 1.5 years: https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...and-statistics and https://covidlive.com.au/report/deaths - less than 2017 flu season considering this data is covers additional months)

NSW health department, 2016: https://www.slhd.nsw.gov.au/Populati...eport_2016.pdf

SMH Sydney report 2018: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...30-p522oa.html

Aussie Flu epidemic: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...ts-say/9319372

Take the precautions, get your shot....and don't live in abject fear. Australia as a whole is doing incredibly well despite the ineptitude of several politicians (not naming names ) - our fatalities are not even a chip off the European or US numbers
Thank you Lewis.
Dealing in fear should be a capital offence ...unfortunately there are so many "influencers" for the want of a general description, who use fear to gather their audience or " followers" ...and they will point to one or more of the many problems in the world with such an intense focus that "their" group becomes entirely occupied worrying about that one area...it is unhealthy and unrealistic...I say to people to look "outside", meaning from where they are, and consider how any of these apparent "sky is falling" issues are actually affecting them, their family or their friends...AND sure there are many who are suffering due to covid measures but really if you think about it things are holding up far better than anyone could reasonably expect...personally I really thought 12 months ago that the stock market would crash and real estate would become valueless and actually make ownership a burden..but look..shares are doing great, in fact if you bought blue chip after the initial pull back you would now be some 40% up..I wish I bought CBA shares at $62 given they are now $102...but next time..buy buy buy...and you could think banks should suffer..anyways as I said things could be much worse...they are for me personally so I think if one had my problems you could become a little fearful..but I don't.. you just have to deal with all this stuff...and ..what we have is nothing when you go back to ancient times..535 ad ..plague where they think mortality in many places was 50%..bodies filled houses and streets, cattle roamed around as their owners were dead, crops went unharvested...or you think it's bad try living in Brittian, France or Germany in WW2...or being on shore when the terrible events took place in Japan due to the Earth quake...
MOST of all be alert to the journalistic sensationalism designed to generate fear..look at that dude ABC had re the sub last week...why fall for their crap.
Alex
Old 26-09-2021, 07:40 AM
glend (Glen)

Importantly, Penrith defeated the Melbourne Storm. All is right with the world order now.
Closed Thread