Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thumbs up I have a 40D!

I did it, on an impulse I bought astroturf's Canon 40D! It was a bargain too good to pass up.

Now I have the 350D, 20D and 40D. Obviously i'll be selling the 350D, and I'll have the 20D and 40D for a mix of terrestrial and astro.

I'm not sure which one I'll get modded, if any, yet. If I do, i'll probably get the 20D modded and now I'll make the 40D my main use camera for daytime and some nighttime stuff.

Will be good once I get the cables I need to control the 20D/40D from the laptop - same set of cables, timer remotes, batteries etc for both cameras - unlike now where the 350D is different to the 20D.

I can't wait to check out LiveView!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Welcome to the club.

LiveView is a godsend.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 06-11-2009, 03:38 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You can never have enough cameras eh Mike.
I've live view on the S3IS, I wish the 20d had it.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Whohoo! Xmas in advance. Sounds like you always need one more "canon" Started a collection?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
leon

Nice one Mike, definitly get the 20 D modded if any, and as H said welcome to the D club.

Leon
Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Good buy, good camera. I'll play devil's advocate on which one to get modded. I have a 30D and a 40D. The difference between the 2 models is significant, much more than I anticipated. Mainly in terms of what you can do with the 40D connected to your notebook while taking astro images. Much more control with EOS Utility, it can be controlled with more functions remotely. So I'd be using the 40D for most of your asto stuff. Mind you, I'm also using my 40D for everything else, too, so will be selling the 30D
Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Mike,

Fantastic! Can't wait to see the images.

Have fun.

Frank
Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Congrats Mike, enjoy!

Dave
Old 06-11-2009, 07:19 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Yep....

Welcome to the club, Mike.

I'm sure you'll love the 40D
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Nice camera ! enjoy it.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 PM
astroturf (Bryan)

I'm glad you're happy with it Mike....I certainly was

Live view really is a godsend, I don't think I could have a camera without it

The 7D I replaced it with is in a whole new ball park
the learning curve starts again - great camera!

good luck with it, I'll be watching out for the pics

Cheers
Bryan

PS the cable in the box connects the camera to your laptop, thats all you need for remote live view via EOS utilities
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
allan gould

Mike
in my opinion you should get the 20D modded. Mine was done by Eric Styles and I think it's the best of them all for astro work especially at 800asa
Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 AM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

good luck hope you get some more amazing pics
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM
h0ughy (David)

lucky so and so - i waqs tempted but did not have the available handy cash to convert it to be mine Look forward to the results Mike
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I'm not sure which one I'll get modded, if any, yet. If I do, i'll probably get the 20D modded and now I'll make the 40D my main use camera for daytime and some nighttime stuff.

Will be good once I get the cables I need to control the 20D/40D from the laptop - same set of cables, timer remotes, batteries etc for both cameras - unlike now where the 350D is different to the 20D.

I can't wait to check out LiveView!
Congrats Mike !
I've always said the 40D is a great camera.

Personally I'd get the 40D modded, I think it would perform a little better for astro and of course live view is great along with the better EOS utilities you get with it.
I've been spoiled with Live View ever since I got the 20Da and love it.

Also a big bonus is that now you have all the same batteries and cables etc.

Once I get around to modding your control box and cables you'll be set.

I'm tempted to upgrade my 20D to the lovely new 7D but I'll wait a while and see how things go I think.

Old 16-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Phil Hart

agree with others on benefits of liveview with 40d, particularly for widefield imaging. laptop focusing works fine for scope work, but the ability to travel lite is often important for me with widefield work.

the other important factors in favour of modding the 40D are that it has no amp glow, whereas the 20D does in bottom right corner. smaller pixels of the 40D are also better suited to widefield. sampling on 20D holds up fine for scope work. noise/sensitivity between the two is very similar.

so it depends on your primary astro imaging purpose (scope vs widefield) and how much you want the 40D for daytime astro work.
Old 16-11-2009, 09:29 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Hey Mike,

Very interested in what you think of Remote Liveview - especially for framing shots. I asked the guys at Canon Research to consider offering a parameter to slow down Live Views frames per second (I think 3 fps is its slowest - I'd like it to go all the way down to one frame every 30 seconds - in stops).

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this camera.

Matt

PS

I was sitting at your desk today for a while - at 3 in St Leonards! I noticed the IIS sticker and asked who used to sit here and was told Mike Salway, but we think he's moved on.

Small world - I guess you aren't at what is VHA now - even though you are still in the directory?
Old 17-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Matt,

I know you didn't ask me, but, I'll give my view on Remote Shooting LiveView. It is just fantastic. Sure, it's not as sensitive as a QHY5 or a DSI where you'll start seeing definition and structure in bright nebulae, but, I don't necessarily use LiveView for framing (as I have the camera strictly in either north-south or east-west configuration); I build a good pointing model and then let the Gemini take me to my object. If it's bright enough, I'll look through the viewfinder to make my final rough framing before taking test exposures.

The main thing that I really like LiveView for is focusing. Nowadays, I will slew to the brightest star in the constellation that I'm imaging an object in, synchronise the scope once it's dead on the centre focus spot, focus using LiveView (sometimes zoomed into 200%) and then slew back to my target and start imaging (once I've framed it, of course).

It is a great alternative for us who don't own CCDs.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 17-11-2009, 03:55 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
agree with others on benefits of liveview with 40d, particularly for widefield imaging. laptop focusing works fine for scope work, but the ability to travel lite is often important for me with widefield work.

the other important factors in favour of modding the 40D are that it has no amp glow, whereas the 20D does in bottom right corner. smaller pixels of the 40D are also better suited to widefield. sampling on 20D holds up fine for scope work. noise/sensitivity between the two is very similar.

so it depends on your primary astro imaging purpose (scope vs widefield) and how much you want the 40D for daytime astro work.
Thanks for your thoughts, Phil.

It was your recommendations that pushed me over the edge to make the impulse buy I can't wait to try it out under the night sky. Hopefully this weekend - though I just realised RB has my timer remote so that's going to make it tricky LOL.

I'll have to use the infrared remote and stand there clicking the button every 5 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
Hey Mike,

Very interested in what you think of Remote Liveview - especially for framing shots. I asked the guys at Canon Research to consider offering a parameter to slow down Live Views frames per second (I think 3 fps is its slowest - I'd like it to go all the way down to one frame every 30 seconds - in stops).

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this camera.

Matt
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet - except at home in the loungeroom, so I'll definitely share my thoughts once I've tried it out in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
PS

I was sitting at your desk today for a while - at 3 in St Leonards! I noticed the IIS sticker and asked who used to sit here and was told Mike Salway, but we think he's moved on.

Small world - I guess you aren't at what is VHA now - even though you are still in the directory?
LOL that's a classic!

I worked for Hutchison for a couple of years and then worked at Ericsson Managed Service (still on the 3 project) for a few years.

It's been almost 2 years since I left! So I wasn't part of VHA. I wish they'd bloody take me out of the directory, because emails to my old hutchison email don't bounce!
Old 17-12-2009, 03:47 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Well, I now have 2 40D's!

On another impulse, I bought Steve's Hutech modded 40D. Was too good to pass up.

Now i'll have 2 of the same type of camera - one modded and one not. Will make it much easier for accessories, batteries, software etc.

My 20D will be going up for sale soon I have to help pay for the purchase somehow!