Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 16-07-2021, 03:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thread lubrication????

This concern is causing me to wake up in a cold sweat...
Now having experienced two threaded "tubes" that would not seperate without applying a secret technique I think "not again and in future threads will receive a good application of grease during assembly"..yeh right..great for putting bike parts together but grease and optics just is not a good idea.

Then I thought maybe take a pencil and rub over the thread...that could work???...however I must ask here..is that a good idea?

Playing with fittings on the RASA I get visions of something refusing to seperate and ...well it is too horrible to imagine...is a gentle application of graphite a solution and is there another precaution against the problem I envisage?
Thank you.
Alex
Old 16-07-2021, 04:45 AM
glend (Glen)

Alex, I have resorted, in the past, to using Anti-seize compound, which is sold to use on engine and auto parts ( a good example is on lug nut threads). Anti-seize works, I still have a stick of it, in a push up tube, like the kids old push pops. However, while it works well, it will leave traces of the grey paste (zinc i believe) on the threads of both parts joined, and can drop traces on other parts during assembly and disassembly. It is difficult to clean off when down inside threads.
My secret method (preferred), is to use duct tape, wrapped around the two parts (in opposite directions) with a tail remaining to become the sticky handle to give you purchase in rotation. The tape adhesive helps your fingers maintain a grip on the two sections when you rotate them (especially if you take a wrap of the tape around a finger as a lock). I have used this for many years, it is fast, and clean, leaving no residue. My current preferred tape for astro threads is the 3M Blue masking type tape, which is easily removed but has good shear strength when pulled laterally during rotation.

Another technique that can work well is to put on some tight fitting latex gloves, the usual ones work ok, but wash the lubicrating powder off the outside of the gloves once you put them on. They should feel slightly sticky on the tube extensions, when grasped. Just squeeze the two locked sections and rotate, most of the time this can work.

Last edited by glend; 16-07-2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old 16-07-2021, 05:32 AM
leon

Alex Dry Lube, it is non greasy, clear and will work very well, it comes in a handy stick form available from any auto place like Repco and the like.

It is covered in a sort of plastic cover and can be pushed out at will and stays usable for years on end, one stick will last forever.

Just my 2 cents worth, stay well my friend.

Leon
Old 16-07-2021, 05:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Glen and thank you Leon.
I can now sleep for a while...until my 8 am meds.
Once I could beat anyone in an arm wrestle but these days need vice grips to take the cap off the tooth paste.
Thanks again gentlemen I really appreciate your inputs.
Alex
Old 16-07-2021, 06:04 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

pro's and con's on both products, the grease will give you some protection against humidity working its way in and causing rust. Grease is bad in dusty environments, its why we used closed nipples under cars etc. Graphite works well not great for high humidity/wind/water exposed areas.

At the end of the day, can't beat a regular maintenance cycle... any lubricant needs to be changed eventually.

Steve
Old 16-07-2021, 06:32 AM
gregbradley

I put a very small amount of engine oil on a paper towel and smear it on the threads so only a small amount is deposited. Works fine, no side effects.

Tak threads are the worst as they seem to be very close together and they bind easily.

Astrophysics threads are much better as they are almost slightly loose and tend not to bind.

The other tool that is handy is the rubber strap lid opener tool Bunnings sells.
It has a plastic handle and a rubber strap that forms a loop with one end fixed and the other end able to be pulled tight or loosened.

Its a non destructive way of undoing overly tightened threads.

Items like reducers, adapters can be overly tightened when you have a camera and filter wheel that have leverage if you turn them to tighten them. Sometimes I have put the filter wheel and camera back on and fixed it then spun slightly the other way to undo a tight adapter. The Bunnings tool though works well and you can even hold the say reducer in your hand or between your legs and apply the tool and it will undo it. A really stuck Tak item though will need quite a bit of force.

I reluctantly once had a $600 reducer stuck to an adapter and I had to put it in a vice to undo it. I thought I was going to destroy it but it survived.

As you say its not a nice experience.

So when you get something new then a small wipe of engine oil on a paper towel before it gets used is a good policy. I don't use grease but if it were applied sparingly like above then I don't see why that wouldn't work too. Just a very small amount as obviously you don't want to transfer it to optics when handling the item.

Some anodising seems to be very dry and high friction. Tak's for example. They are the worst.

I have never had an adverse effect from doing the above.

Greg.
Old 16-07-2021, 07:09 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

For many years, many! I’ve used and advocated a light smear of boot polish (your choice of colour ) on the threads of all the spacers/ adaptors etc we use in astronomy.
It has been very successful for me and others.
Old 16-07-2021, 07:36 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Steve, Greg and Ken.
I must say I am not sure what to use ...I guess it may turn on what is close by...certainly nothing will be be more than loose in the setting up stage...thanks again..another sleep until my 11 am meds...busy busy.
Alex
Old 16-07-2021, 08:30 AM
JA

Many of the adapters and screw interfaces used in astro and general photography are made from Aluminium which has a wonderful habit of sticking to itself / galling. Even Stainless steel exhibits this to a lesser extent, especially when silver plated and steel has the unfortunate propensity to rust on as well as gall. Brass is wonderful in such situations, but not very widespread in its use although it is often nickel/chrome plated and used for many lens and camera mount flanges.

The best easily applied defence against thread sticking/ galling at "normal temperatures" is an anti seize often silver or copper loaded based compound, sometimes aluminium loaded graphite/moly-grease available usually in paste, but sometimes stick form.

Best
JA
Old 16-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

As long as you avoid oils or low-quality greases that separate into oils and solids you should be fine. Any high-quality non-migrating grease will do, you just need a small quantity. My favourite for many years has been Mobil Grease HP (or XHP), for it’s excellent stability, reliability and versatility.
Old 16-07-2021, 09:17 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

PTFE tape and the rubber strap have worked for me. Tape can be fiddly if the amount of exposed thread is narrow....
Old 16-07-2021, 09:19 AM
AdamJL

You can also have a chat to Adriano from Testar. He uses some special stuff (won't tell me what it is ) and it is incredibly smooth and doesn't attract much if any dirt.
Old 16-07-2021, 10:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you for your input JA, Steffan, John and Adam.
I am thinking a mixture of candle wax and graphite.
Alex
Old 16-07-2021, 10:17 PM
Constant (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
You can also have a chat to Adriano from Testar. He uses some special stuff (won't tell me what it is ) and it is incredibly smooth and doesn't attract much if any dirt.
Adriano's got the "special sauce"
Old 16-07-2021, 10:22 PM
Constant (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
For many years, many! I’ve used and advocated a light smear of boot polish (your choice of colour ) on the threads of all the spacers/ adaptors etc we use in astronomy.
It has been very successful for me and others.
I've followed this advice, it's worked brilliantly though.... Adriano's "Special Sauce" works even better.
In saying that huge vote of thanks to merlin66 who's advice re boot polish really saved the day. Thank you!
Old 17-07-2021, 07:36 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

If you have two seized adapters, you can heat them up a little in the oven for a few minutes, and then put them in the freezer for a minute or two with the inner threaded part touching the shelf. They will unbind when the inner thread shrinks a little. I have had to do this a few times.

Also when the telescope mirror making tool binds to the mirror. Or to get pitch off the tool, the freezer works.
Old 17-07-2021, 08:10 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank you for your input JA, Steffan, John and Adam.
I am thinking a mixture of candle wax and graphite.
Alex
I would think you would not want anything that could create "particles" that could get into the gear. I'm not sure if those items would be a good idea?
Old 17-07-2021, 10:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I would think you would not want anything that could create "particles" that could get into the gear. I'm not sure if those items would be a good idea?
I created such a mix to put on my bike chains and it worked very well there Melted the candle wax added graphite and put the chain in while liquid...worked better than anything else.
The particles would be bound in the wax and unless heated the mixture wont melt and dribble someplace.. .however I will try the boot polish as first option if there is any floating around.
Alex
Old 17-07-2021, 12:45 PM
leon

Depends on how long ago you polished your shoes Alex

Leon

Last edited by leon; 17-07-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 17-07-2021, 12:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Depends on how long you polished your shoes Alex

Leon
Unfortunately I can not wear shoes Leon...that back operation although gave me my legs back my feet "burn" so it was pleasant walking barefoot on ice covered grass when imaging, although I would finally get cold...happily these days I can wear big slippers but no socks...but I am thinking my daughter may have some boot polish as she has some fancy riding boots...anyways confined to bed today...I only wake up for meds and to check in here

My son in law just bought a scope, I always knew he was a decent chap, ...first question was .."do you take off what looks like a cover to get it to work"... So happy days.

Alex