Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 01-09-2020, 05:21 AM
Malcolm

SynScan WiFi with two iOs devices? Connection problem.

Using an iPad mini and an iPad. The mini has the SynScan Pro app installed, the iPad has SkySafari 5 Plus. The SynScan app connects instantly to the mount and works perfectly.

The SkySafari settings is using the WiFi dongle ip taken from the iPad mini 192.168.4.1 port 11882. No connection with SkySafari, is there some sort of workaround I'm missing?

I have android which uses both apps no problem at all but the iPad screen is a good size.

TIA for any tips to get it running appreciated. M.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:43 AM
glend (Glen)

Buy an Android tablet, like the Samsung, which i have used for years.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:01 AM
Malcolm

I just did for a 12". But it doesn't solve the problem for another scope on a loan-out to a user with only iOs devices. I have five dobs from 5" to 16" and 3 are out on loan to group members, one of the 10's and the 16" have Push-To encoders, the remainder are all GOTO. We do a fair bit of public outreach and I'd like to get it working properly for him before we put on our next event which is the International Observe the Moon Night later this month. But thanks for your suggestion, I'm already onto it. :-)
Old 01-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Hemi

Hi Malcolm,

I used to use the 2 device method. It seems you’re doing everything correctly.
SynScan pro connects Device A to the mount.
Sky safari connects Device B to device A. You input device A ip/port to the connection settings in sky safari.
All devises must be on same network or connecting to the skywatcher WiFi adapter.
I can’t remember if in skysafari I put the scope type as Meade lx200 classic. But it might be worth a try.

Lastly.....sky safari 6 pro solves this, and only one device is needed. I can confirm that, as that’s how I’m setup now.

Good luck, but either way does work.

Hemi
Old 01-09-2020, 07:39 AM
Malcolm

That's interesting info. I did come across something a bout putting the SynScan app in access point mode and will try that . Meanwhile I'll suggest he upgrade to v6 Plus, a big ask for Pro considering the prices. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:09 AM
Mark
I Like globs.

Sorry to hijack your thread..but you say the SynScan app works perfectly? I purchased the wifi dongle about a month ago for my EQ6. It works fine until you try to do an alignment. The first night I used it in anger, the upon setting the first star for a 2 star alignment, the RA axis accelerated to full speed and was going to slam the scope into the tripod if I didn’t hit the off button. Same again after rebooting. On the third attempt it slewed to the first star correctly, but when I went I to adjust the dec axis to get the star in the crosshairs, it didn’t stop slewing after I took my finger of the button. It kept doing this kind of thing after another 3 reboots. I gave up in the end. I was using an iPhone 11. I tried an Android tablet yesterday arvo indoors. I “simulated” a 1 Star alignment, which seemed to work, but I had the same slewing problem. It kept going after I took my finger of the “button”.

I’m terribly vexed.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

@Malcolm: Sky Safari regularly have 50% off sales. Seemingly with any celestial or human space travel event, they offer their products half price. Sky Safari Pro at half price is very palatable (and VERY useful) in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:49 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

There is one set up step in Sky Safari that you have not mentioned. Not only do you need to get the wifi connection and the settings correct but you also need to ensue you have the right mount identified. Refer to Scope Type and Mount Type settings under the Equipment Selection section within the set up menu. Have you got these right?
Whilst a bit cumbersome, I have had the two device system working reliably for me - I am using an old IPad and an IPhone6. Both have SkySafari 6 (originally Plus but now the Pro version) loaded. For your intended use, the Plus version would be more than ample and save some money. I did have some hiccups to start with - I was not being methodical enough. Get all the steps right and I have not had any trouble since.

PS, another thought. Have you set the screen on the device with the SynScan app open to “never go to sleep”? This is critical because if it goes to sleep the wifi link will drop out and the synscan app will also drop out rendering any communications from Sky Safari on the other device useless.

Keep at it. The solution is there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Using an iPad mini and an iPad. The mini has the SynScan Pro app installed, the iPad has SkySafari 5 Plus. The SynScan app connects instantly to the mount and works perfectly.

The SkySafari settings is using the WiFi dongle ip taken from the iPad mini 192.168.4.1 port 11882. No connection with SkySafari, is there some sort of workaround I'm missing?

I have android which uses both apps no problem at all but the iPad screen is a good size.

TIA for any tips to get it running appreciated. M.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:15 PM
Hemi

Hi Steve, as I mentioned in my post above. You no longer need 2 ios devices when running sky safari 6 pro. I also posted in the software section a while back when I discovered the update.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=184916

Cheers

Hemi
Old 01-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Malcolm

Hi Mark, I'm not using EQ mounts, only dobs so I can't really help you. I assume you're using SynScan Pro.
And Hemi, I just let the chap know that SS6 Pro is only $32 and he's downloading it right now, hopefully that will sort it out. :-) Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Hemi

No Worries Malcolm,

In Sky Safari 6 pro, there is an additional option in telescope setup (Scope type) called SkyWatcher SynScanLink....that’s the correct option.

Hemi
Old 01-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Malcolm

Sweet, I'm going out there Friday night and sort it out if he hasn't nutted it out already, thanks again. :-)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Hemi,

Thanks for the heads up. I had missed the significance of your earlier post. My gear has been packed up for a few months because of a house move and I had not noticed the Sky Safari update happen in the background. I am looking forward to the simplified setup once I unpack and set up my gear.

Malcolm, sorry for the redundant advice. Sounds as though you have it all in hand now.

Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Hi Steve, as I mentioned in my post above. You no longer need 2 ios devices when running sky safari 6 pro. I also posted in the software section a while back when I discovered the update.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=184916

Cheers

Hemi