Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 04-08-2021, 09:04 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

OSC - debayering raw images and video

Hi all,

I received my first OSC camera this week from ZWO a 2600mc - i've only used mono and dslr before and taking some test shots with a camera lens it was quickly evident when shooting in raw to get colour some post processing/conversion / debayering is required.

What is the best software to use? Is there an easy bit of software to convert single shots - i think stacking is fine. Also with video what is the best way (i've got a 224mc on its way from bintel for planetary)? I heard PIPP might be the go - do people recommend avi's or ser's?). i'll likely be using NINA for deep sky and SharpCap for planetary (i get issues with firecapture).

Thanks!

Russ
Old 04-08-2021, 10:21 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Stacking software you set up to debayer with the correct pattern as required (RGGB) and certainly in Astro Pixel processor (Paid) it debayers individual subs when set to and you can save the individual subs in debayered form if you want. I know Deep Sky Stacker (Free) can debayer when stacking but I can't recall for individual sub preview.

There is also FITS Liberator and ASTAP which can be set up to debayer for examining subs.

Really all those programs are doing is something similar to the debayering that is done in camera when you are using a DSLR, but you don't generally want to debayer and re save the images from an OSC astro camera as colour before stacking. The best bet is to preview them debayered if you want but do whatever calibration with darks, bias, flats you need to and stack them from the raw state. I understand programs like Astro Pixel Processor do the calibration before debayering if you are using an OSC camera.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:02 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Russ,
I’ve had my 2600MC for a year now
I use Astap to review quality of subs and check for satellite trails , high cloud and other annoying anomalies.It reads fits file subs with an excellent histogram to adjust detail and view , I usually zoom in ridiculously close to check my stars are round at edge of field )
Then I stack in Deep Sky Stacker with settings adjusted for my camera RGGB etc... ( I can send you my settings )
Deep Sky Stacker can check your subs but Astap is so much more versatile and thorough

Cheers
Martin
Old 04-08-2021, 03:03 PM
AdamJL

Hi Russ

Hands down the fastest software to review your FITS files is ASIStudio.
It's free to download, includes all their capture and stacking software (which I don't use) but a very quick to use FITS viewer. It's like viewing jpegs in Windows Explorer; nearly instant. I found ASTAP takes too long to load files

For stacking, I use DSS.
For image capture, NINA.
NINA will also show you your latest image and stretch it if you prefer. You can cycle through your stack of stretched images as well, but it also takes a while in NINA.

ASIStudio is the way to go if you just want to quickly view your files.

Cheers
Adam
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Hi Russ

Hands down the fastest software to review your FITS files is ASIStudio.
It's free to download, includes all their capture and stacking software (which I don't use) but a very quick to use FITS viewer. It's like viewing jpegs in Windows Explorer; nearly instant. I found ASTAP takes too long to load files

For stacking, I use DSS.
For image capture, NINA.
NINA will also show you your latest image and stretch it if you prefer. You can cycle through your stack of stretched images as well, but it also takes a while in NINA.

ASIStudio is the way to go if you just want to quickly view your files.

Cheers
Adam
Adam,
ASTAP loads my files ( eg 80 x 3 min subs 50MB per file ) on my lappy in 5 sec
Almost instantly
What’s the specs on your PC / Laptop ??
Cheers
Martin

PS: I use APT and does exactly what you described NINA does , again my images are instantaneous too in APT

Interested to know what PC / Laptop you use and software version etc... these files shouldn’t take too long to open ?
Old 04-08-2021, 06:48 PM
AdamJL

Hi Martin

So there are a few things to mention here:
ASTAP can load an individual file fairly quickly. On my Surface Book 2 it's a couple of seconds. About the same speed as ASIStudio. On my Ryzen 3900X gaming machine (32GB RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super), it's much faster.

Where it falls apart, is the Thumbnail viewer. ASTAP takes a month of Sunday's to build the gallery. A couple of seconds for each image. Now if you have the program open continuously as you shoot, maybe that's a non-issue because ASTAP will load the thumbnail in the background.
On my shooting machine (Surface Book 2) I only open the software I need. ASIStudio on the other hand, doesn't have to build a thumbnail gallery, it gives you a list of files. You click the list (or use the arrow keys) and it takes a second to cycle to the next image.

As I've been writing this, ASTAP has been slowly building a thumbnail viewer of an image gallery I've got in OneDrive (locally synced). It's 4 minutes in, and has managed to preview two DSS Fits, and I think it's now pushed past my Dark Flats images. In the meantime, the program is unresponsive as it builds the library.

This is a sub-optimal experience IMO. ASIStudio just loads the gallery instantly, admittedly without a thumbnail view, but it's incredibly quick to cycle through each image.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Hi Martin

So there are a few things to mention here:
ASTAP can load an individual file fairly quickly. On my Surface Book 2 it's a couple of seconds. About the same speed as ASIStudio. On my Ryzen 3900X gaming machine (32GB RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super), it's much faster.

Where it falls apart, is the Thumbnail viewer. ASTAP takes a month of Sunday's to build the gallery. A couple of seconds for each image. Now if you have the program open continuously as you shoot, maybe that's a non-issue because ASTAP will load the thumbnail in the background.
On my shooting machine (Surface Book 2) I only open the software I need. ASIStudio on the other hand, doesn't have to build a thumbnail gallery, it gives you a list of files. You click the list (or use the arrow keys) and it takes a second to cycle to the next image.

As I've been writing this, ASTAP has been slowly building a thumbnail viewer of an image gallery I've got in OneDrive (locally synced). It's 4 minutes in, and has managed to preview two DSS Fits, and I think it's now pushed past my Dark Flats images. In the meantime, the program is unresponsive as it builds the library.

This is a sub-optimal experience IMO. ASIStudio just loads the gallery instantly, admittedly without a thumbnail view, but it's incredibly quick to cycle through each image.
Adam,
Thanks for clarifying your procedures
I only use ASTAP to inspect and review subs post capture the next day , not during the capture process.With ASTAP I load the files , zoom in to 5 or 10 times , then joggle through each frame to check star shape , then zoom out to check other anomalies like high cloud , satellite trails etc...
During my Capture , APT takes a frame , display’s it full view , you can adjust the histogram to suit resolution etc.. and it also provides a thumbnail to the right hand side at 10 times zoom of the central region of the frame
You can joggle back and forward to review your captured frames anytime

We differ in our capture and review process

Thanks again
Martin
Old 04-08-2021, 07:53 PM
AdamJL

No worries, Martin

When you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
With ASTAP I load the files , zoom in to 5 or 10 times , then joggle through each frame to check star shape , then zoom out to check other anomalies like high cloud , satellite trails etc..
Can I ask how you do this? Do you load each file individually (File > Load Fits or other format [Ctrl + O]) or do you let the gallery load (File > Thumbnail Viewer [Ctrl + T]) and do something else while it loads?

It could be that I'm using ASTAP wrong. I know it's quick with the first method, but I have to load each file individually that way (can't load multiple files, only through the Thumbnail viewer option) whereas with ASIStudio I just point the software to the gallery and it's an instant load and a quick shift between images (see example image)

I'm always keen to learn/try a better method!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled.jpg)
204.7 KB34 views
Old 04-08-2021, 08:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
No worries, Martin

When you say:

Can I ask how you do this? Do you load each file individually (File > Load Fits or other format [Ctrl + O]) or do you let the gallery load (File > Thumbnail Viewer [Ctrl + T]) and do something else while it loads?

It could be that I'm using ASTAP wrong. I know it's quick with the first method, but I have to load each file individually that way (can't load multiple files, only through the Thumbnail viewer option) whereas with ASIStudio I just point the software to the gallery and it's an instant load and a quick shift between images (see example image)

I'm always keen to learn/try a better method!
Adam,
Everything I’ve done in this hobby over the past 4 or 5 years I’ve written a procedure and save it , I’m only 61 but when I’m 71 I’m going to need these docs I put together
Attached is how I use ASTAP for inspection of my subs only
Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ASTAP Fits File Viewer Procedure.pdf (17.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:24 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

KStars (which is free) automatically debayers your images and applies a not to bad stretch to them. It's also a planetarium and imaging software.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:13 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

thanks for all the replies and discussion people. lots of options there it seems.
i was looking at potentially doing some non astro photography with it too which was the main driver - however individual sub inspection sounds good too.

i've kind of got 3 pc's going (laptop - 7700 windows, desktops 9900k windows, and 5950x linux) so i might end up trying all those programs!

thanks again - appreciate the time taken in responding.

clear skies

Russ