Old 14-08-2022, 05:10 PM
Maddie

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. I’ve been enjoying astronomy and astrophotography for the past few months and I’m looking forward to learning from more experienced members.

Maddie
Old 17-08-2022, 05:42 PM
TeamG (Glenn)

Long time lurker, first time poster, need to get the count up to sell some goodies.

Shoot from bortle 5 in Canberra, kicked it all up a gear last year with big mount, refracter and dedicated astro cam
Old 04-09-2022, 02:07 PM
SteveB-01 (Steve)

Hi all, first time to this forum but not a first is astronomy, been doing this, on and off, since 78.

But I am new to digital astro, so I'm looking forward to heaps of tips in that area. Maybe tips on a pier, observatory, new mount, etc.. oh everything then.
Old 16-09-2022, 04:16 PM
varshnei (Karan)

Another long time lurker but newish poster, need to get the count up to sell some goodies as well!!

Ive bought some stuff from here and learned a fair bit too.
Old 26-09-2022, 08:36 AM
Tropic

Yet another new member here, just ordered a nice little APO for visual and now need to find and gather all the bits to make it work.
Old 22-10-2022, 10:46 PM
Questor (Jon)

Hey folks - newbie to the forum here, but not super new to the sky. Hoping to pick up plenty of tips and advice both directly and by osmosis
Old 21-11-2022, 09:25 AM
barryehc (Barry)

I'm new to this forum but have had a life long interest in astronomy. Unlike lots of the entries I have seen I am winding down my observing and astrophotography. I've lots of experience so hopefully I can offer some suggestions.
barry
Old 23-12-2022, 04:59 PM
Kevchu (Kevin)

Hi Barry, Totally new to forums and am quite new to Astrophotography, Have a Meade LX200 x 10" x F10 ACF Mounted on a Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro. Have been using it for visual for some months now and would like to start Astrophotography. Have Nikon D850 with lenses, recently purchased a QHY286C and have no idea how to mount it to my scope. Can you please suggest an good electronic focuser to put on the my 10" Meade, also how to mount the QHY286C need all the help I can get. do you or any other members know anyone in Perth WA area? so I can meet & greet to get more info on setting up?
Regards, Kevin
Old 03-01-2023, 12:09 AM
UKBill (William Armstro)

Help please introducing grand children to astro Photography

Hi all and happy new year 2023.
In 10 days or so I am arriving in Australia (Sydney) for a short stay to see my grandkids.
They are based near Coffs Harbour
So I arrive in Sydney and drive up, returning 30th to fly back on 31st.
I have some of the kit needed to start (no star tracker though) but no real experience at all. I have with me a Nikon D3300 and a selection of lenses, and a digital remote control for the camera, a lot of memory modules and batteries.
I also have a 2nd Nikon D3300 but with the IR filter removed. I have yet to get a decent photo out of it though no matter how I play with the RAW images in Gyimp It is still too red. so not thinking of bringing that camera with me, or my Scope due to it's size.
In short... anyone in the Coffs Harbour area got a couple of hours to help an old cluts like me introduce my grand kids to Astronomy and Astro photography. Back in the UK it is far too cold for my old bones to do astronomy for more than a couple of hours a year. The warm nights also coincide with thick cloud usually Any advice or help appreciated. Grand kids are 10 and 8 years old.
Keep smiling
Old 22-02-2023, 03:10 PM
12InchTim (Timothy)

Hello World

Hi there,

I started my astronomy journey recently and getting into astro aswell. It's been a steep but enjoyable learning curve. First post on the forums, got to get the post count up

Cheers,

Tim
Old 27-02-2023, 01:50 PM
BigK (Baz)

Been a member for a few years, looking to upgrade “ lockdown” equipment soon, appreciate the great advice available here.

Last edited by BigK; 27-02-2023 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-04-2023, 08:50 AM
BreakaMilk (Ness)

Hello Hello

Done photography for a while, always loved astrophotography and astronomy. Wanting to learn more about Deep Space photography, and maybe one day get a setup (hard to afford when you're a broke uni student lol). Currently just use a Nikon D800 and a basic tripod. Hopefully will get a star tracker to start learning more skills.

Looking forward to learning heaps from the seasoned pros!
Old 03-04-2023, 08:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Go static..you will be surprised...high ISO..and a copy of Deep Sky Stacker and get out there..start 2 to 5 seconds
And learn by experimenting.
Welcome.

Alex
Old 27-04-2023, 10:45 AM
bobbyslogger (Roberto)

Carina

Hi all,

Been lurking on an off for a while. Finally managed a decent shot of Orion and it processed reasonably well. Just need to fine tune the focus as I didn;t realise how much my eyesight has fallen off after 50.

I'm trying to find Carina but being in Inner Sydney, haven't had much success. I know it's between the Southern Cross and the false cross but not much luck. Any tips on an easy way to find her?

Thanks,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (orion 110423v2.jpg)
64.1 KB77 views
Old 27-04-2023, 11:03 AM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslogger View Post
Hi all,

Been lurking on an off for a while. Finally managed a decent shot of Orion and it processed reasonably well. Just need to fine tune the focus as I didn;t realise how much my eyesight has fallen off after 50.

I'm trying to find Carina but being in Inner Sydney, haven't had much success. I know it's between the Southern Cross and the false cross but not much luck. Any tips on an easy way to find her?

Thanks,

Rob
Good shot Rob, considering the light pollution from your location, keep going with it, btw, over 50 isn't a disadvantage
Old 14-06-2023, 10:32 PM
henry417 (Henry)
Henry

hi all,
my first post here

got into astro last year. still learning how to get better shots with the equipment i have.

here's Carina with 43subs x180s (11xHa, 16xO 16xS) , REdcat 51 , ASI1600mm , SW HEQ5 mount.

i am unsure about the post processing , are there any recommendations of youtube or any online materials on post processing ?

thank you

henry
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C92_ICe.png)
177.6 KB106 views
Old 14-07-2023, 08:31 PM
pjb009 (Phil)

Hi all haven’t posted in years.
Is there a thread for posting UAPs on Iceinspace ?
We just observed what appeared to look similar to a star with meteor tail Sunshine Coast Qld in the east sky .
Thanks
Amended :
https://7news.com.au/technology/spac...c-11284152.amp

Last edited by pjb009; 15-07-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 31-07-2023, 10:07 AM
LookAtTheStars1 (Benjamin)

Bintel BT202-B 8 Inch Dobsonian Telescope

I am a beginner astronomer and I just wanted to get your opinions on the Bintel BT202-B 8 Inch Dobsonian Telescope since this is the telescope I am currently leaning towards.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:55 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Benjamin,

Thats a great scope to start off with, decent amount of aperture to start off with and easy to use.

The eyepieces it comes with are ok as well, being plossls from memory.

I found a laser collimator easier to use with my dobs and also having a telrad with the optical finder made it easier to locate objects.

Have fun,
Old 01-11-2023, 10:25 PM
Kaleb_Daark (Mike)

Looks like the right place to say hello.

So "Hello everyone".
Another longish time lurker first time poster.
Like a lot of people here I've been into space since I was a kid (a long time ago).
Been getting back into the photography side of things over the last couple of years.
Pretty basic setup so far, Celestron Nexstar 4SE with a moderately OK Canon M6. Not the best, but it does OK.
Hopefully I can pick up some info from the more experienced of you and correct my errors...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn_08-10-2021.jpg)
55.3 KB92 views
Click for full-size image (Lagoon_10-09-2021.jpg)
198.0 KB89 views