Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-04-2022, 10:45 AM
webtubbs (Wayne)

Upgrade scope choice

I recently purchased a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro mount and after a few sessions with my Celestron Astromaster 130EQ attached I had OK results with my ZWO ASI224SC camera attached. But of course I want better, so I'm on the hunt for a suitable replacement.

My 5 year old daughter has shown an interest, but at her young age doesn't correlate what she sees on the computer screen with space, so I'm after something for viewing as well as astro-photography. That pretty much rules out Newtonians as the EP is far too high for her to view through (even me!), so that leaves me with Cassegrain types or Refractors.

My max budget would be $1500. I was look at this one from Meade, but I want something that can view and image deep space objects as well solar system objects.

I've been out of the loop for too long and I have no idea what to look for, so any advice anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Old 29-04-2022, 12:49 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Wayne

Have you considered putting the 130 on a Dobson mount for visual use?
You could then buy a bigger/faster Newtownian to go on your EQ6 Pro mount.

Philip
Old 29-04-2022, 02:59 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

You probably want something faster than an SCT for imaging.

A newt was mentioned. Maybe 8"f5 newt as you are alr Andy used to one. Or a 6". Or an 80mm refractor - really easy to use, preferebly f6 or under

Also consider the 224mc. That's a small sensor. So you are looking at a small imaging area.
Old 29-04-2022, 05:19 PM
raymo

There is no reason why you can't go with a 6" Newt with the tripod legs fully retracted. you just slacken the tube ring knobs and rotate the tube to a comfortable viewing position
once you have lined up on your target. You just have to stop the scope sliding
downward while the tube rings are slackened off. You can easily make or buy a ring which fits round the scope, but is not attached to the mount, and which remains tight, and stops the scope sliding.
The Meade you showed us is much too slow for astrophotography on anything
other than the moon or the planets, and has too narrow a field of view to
enable imaging the entirety of almost all DSOs.
raymo
Old 29-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ll second Raymo’s suggestion
The humble 6” Newt is the most underestimated, under-utilised, cost effective, biggest bang for buck and versatile all round scope for visual and AP you can use IMHO
I started visual with a 6” f6 GSO Newt ( $299 ) nearly 6 years ago and after a year started Astrophotography using a Canon DSLR
I’m still using this same 6” Newt for AP now but with a Cooled Cmos camera ZWOASI2600MC. I think the current price of a 6” Newt is around $400
Like Raymo said you can comfortably view through an eye piece if you rotate the OTA. I have grandkids 5 years and older and they sit on my adjustable stool which can be raised or lowered up to 250mm
Obviously their favourite is viewing the Moon
I have other bigger scopes ( 8” up to 12” Newts ) but the humble 6” Newt is a winner
Cheers
Martin
Newt Man !!
Old 29-04-2022, 07:57 PM
webtubbs (Wayne)

Thanks guys. Hearing things like fast and slow scopes reminds me of things I had forgotten.

I used my 130mm lots when I got it and did make rotating rings for it and it was a definite improvement. Even got a couple half decent images of Saturn with the 224 camera.

Unfortunately I've moved homes since then and I only have a small yard that is blocked to the south, east and west, unless I fully extend the tripod of the EQ6.

It might be best if I just get 2 OTAs - a 80 or maybe 120mm refractor for viewing the moon and planets with my daughter, then a 6 or 8" newt for me with the camera. Something like this?
Https://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatch...ector-ota.html
Old 29-04-2022, 08:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I personally prefer ( Bintel ) GSO Newts for imaging and Skywatcher Newts for viewing ( I have both )
Reason - I prefer the GSO dual speed focusers and they are designed and machined better , more robust, better thumb screws etc.. and smoother. The Skywatcher dual speed focusers have crappy thumbscrews and are not a good design. That’s why I use them for visual only
Both have excellent , tubes , spiders , mirrors etc ...
I just favour GSO for imaging but either way they both do a good job !!

Cheers
Martin
Old 30-04-2022, 09:14 AM
webtubbs (Wayne)

Looks like all the Bintel newts are sold out ��

How come all are recommending a 6" over and 8"?
Old 30-04-2022, 09:38 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

A few things about the GSO and SW dobs, at either 6">12" they are are all 1200mm F/l. If you can sit and view comfortably from one you can get good viewing for all.

The 6" is a lot easier to make, you'll see them advertised at 1/12wave, for a Chinese scope that's pretty darn good. Also excellent for visual use at F8 and will take cheaper EP's very well. As you go bigger you'll get faster to keep the same F/l, faster mirrors are harder to make to high wave lengths and do not come close to those wave specs from GSO/SW models.

I'd suggest an adjustable stool with a flat wooden seat and flat back and strap a booster chair to it if she still fits one. Most chairs will get you from 60/80cm as a seat height.

Good condition, well priced dobs come up often, you could use the 6" for moon/planets and bright clusters, star splitter etc. And a 2nd XXinch newt for the DSO and camera work at F5.

The 6" you'll never think twice about setting up, a 12" you might be hesitant about if you haven't got a trolley or fixed site.

A F8 newt will hold collimation better and be easier to collimate than the F5 by a long shot. The collimation area in proportional to the F ratio squared, so a 64mm or 25mm landing zone for good collimation.

*the tabletop F5 6" is hard to beat, or at the very least the bench mark for aperture and easy of use.

If your daughter can use her own table and chairs, have the SW Gti 6" tabletop so its can be moved either free hand or via the controller. You'll have a great little scope that can track and be used at child heights. For $650 new and resale later, the scope may not owe you a lot for its use... (if she's a little rough with it, at F5 you may find you learn to collimate very very quickly! The tabletop will make that a lot easier as you can view and change collimation while seated and not have to take your eye from the ep to make adjustments.)

Last edited by mura_gadi; 30-04-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 30-04-2022, 07:43 PM
raymo

If your daughter is going to use the smaller scope, there is no reason why you can't go with the 8" Newt, great scope.
raymo