Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-11-2014, 01:16 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

How long and how hard?

Cripes, that sounds rude, but believe me, truth is subtler than fiction!

A couple of DIY questions.

1. Epoxy paint. I just resprayed a friend's OTA with epoxy paint. They say fully cured in 24 hours, but that is never long enough for polishing IMHO - handling maybe, not polishing. Would it be wise to wait 3 or 4 days, perhaps a week before attempting to rub back with wet 2000 grit and then compound polishing (by hand)? I don't want to strip and start again!

Previously I have used automotive acrylic, and found I could get a high lustre hand rubbed polish after letting cure for 3 days first (never clear coated, just solid colour then polished) I used 2000 grit (wet) then a clay bar (also wet), followed by ultra-fine grit polishing compound on a flannel cloth, then followed by a "dry" polish with new flannel.

2. I had to mask off some manufacturer decals on his tube. With epoxy, would it be wise to cut through the paint/tape junction with a new scalpel blade first before removing the tape, or will epoxy resist chip-out/peeling?

3. Changing topic - BRASS sheet. I made a micro-focuser tensioner plate out of moderately stiff brass sheet. The bending and planishing of the bends (somewhat lightly) work-hardened the bend junctions, but is there any other way to harden brass sheeting OTHER than work hardening? I have heard that heat and SLOW cool (the opposite to usual metal hardening) theoretically will work with brass, but in practice only work hardening actually re-hardens brass. Anyone know better?
Old 13-11-2014, 02:09 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Sorry but I can't answer your question, I'm only writing because you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
... planishing ...
and I never thought I'd ever hear anyone use that word again. I've just been tidying up my father's tools and came across his planishing hammer, the one I couldn't use to bang in nails when I was a kid. It must be 30 years, maybe 40 since I heard that term used. Now if you know what a schrader valve is (without Mr Google) and can lead wipe I'll be truly impressed.
Old 13-11-2014, 03:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Schrader Valve is too easy, so not going to answer that (someone younger can try - I am 41, so have known Schrader/American valves for quite some time )

Lead wiping... replaced by bog and other epoxy/cellulose/resin substrates today - less craftsmanship.
Old 14-11-2014, 07:36 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Mountain Bikers should know Schrader valves, my big pump has both fittings for the road bike and the MB.
Lead Wiping eh ? Used to watch the Telcom boys sealing the lead ends of cabling down in street pits. Blowtorches and greasy cloths.
Health and Safety would blanch at the practice now.

Epoxy Paint I used to use many years ago, Hi-Build to cover rough surfaces. I wouldn't polish for at least a week, it's takes quite a while to cure properly.
Old 14-11-2014, 08:47 AM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Sorry but I can't answer your question, I'm only writing because you said

and I never thought I'd ever hear anyone use that word again. I've just been tidying up my father's tools and came across his planishing hammer, the one I couldn't use to bang in nails when I was a kid. It must be 30 years, maybe 40 since I heard that term used. Now if you know what a schrader valve is (without Mr Google) and can lead wipe I'll be truly impressed.
I use it quite regularly in making jewellery
Old 14-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Planishing, I haven't heard that term since my metalworking days in High School (around 1976). It was called 4th form then.

Schrader valves, that was an easy one.

Lead Wiping, you got me on that one, thanks Mr Google.

Cheers