Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 30-05-2021, 05:54 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

450D Repairs or parts??

Hi all,
Does anyone here still do mods or repairs on Canons??
After my accident last week and my Modded Canon 450D camera had the USB socket snapped of the board or the board has snapped itself but its loose and doesn't work. The camera still works fine but its my main imaging camera and i've lost PC control.
Ill have a go myself if I get really stuck but not sure where you can get parts.
Cheers
Andy
Old 31-05-2021, 12:19 AM
glend (Glen)

Yes you can get parts, I used to buy boards from a place in Chicago USA, and Ali Express has some Chinese breaker sources.
To bad, I threw out a bunch of 450D spare boards and parts, including the little USB comms boards, when I sold off my cooled 450Ds. I will have a look in my parts box, I might still have one.

You could always buy a dead 450D off eBay, they do surface there from time to time. It is always good to have a spare body for parts. Those ribbon cable lock bars are notorious for breaking.
Old 31-05-2021, 07:13 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Thanks Glen,
I pulled the side cover to have a look last night and it definitely the USB socket that's come off the board.
I'm going to strip it down and see if i can solder it back on.
Also is there and reason why I cant solder a cable to the board and then run the plug externally. A bit rough but its my imaging camera and I never use it for anything else except for the odd milky way.
I found this image so if the board is ok then its only 5 wires and earth the case??. The cabe is a male type A to male Mini B so it should be straight forward if the board is intact.........maybe.
No wonder they snap off, there's no reinforcement for the socket for rough people like me!!!
Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (post-228985-0-06197600-1433562272.jpg)
73.4 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (800px-USB_2.0_connectors.svg.png)
27.7 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (usb.jpg)
22.8 KB32 views
Old 06-06-2021, 05:34 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Glen,
Just wondering if you have found any 450D parts or where to get any. I can see a few on AliExpress but not sure if they are right.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Andy
Old 06-06-2021, 08:03 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Hi Glen,
Just wondering if you have found any 450D parts or where to get any. I can see a few on AliExpress but not sure if they are right.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Andy
Andy, I have looked, sorry for not getting back to you sooner; sadly I do not have anything that might be of use. I sold a big box of spares here in the Classified some time ago, and anything useful would have gone then, or been thrown in the trash.
I have had a look at Gary Honis Canon Mod website, and noticed it has been revised. Several years back all the photos were mostly 450Ds and now he has a mixture, which can be very confusing.
Sadly Aliexpress is probably the best choice, but you could try ringing a few Camera Repair businesses in Australia. Then there is always the donor camera marker, on eBay.
I found a US supplier here on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-CAN...edirect=mobile

Maybe contact them to see if they have what you need, they will be easier to communicate with than China.
Good luck

Update, there is a 450D on auction on eBay, current bid is $20, and it is in Townsville Qld, might be worth chasing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11483611...&ul_noapp=true
Old 06-06-2021, 08:19 PM
glend (Glen)

Andy, there is no reason that you could not remote the Comm outside the camera body. Just be sure you are very good with a solder sucker when putting in these connections, as any short circuit could be a board level problem, and don't forget to earth your new socket back to the board earth bus.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:25 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Thanks Glen,
I'm going to give it a go when I'm fresh and have some time.
If it doesn't work or I fry something at least I can get a new board for around $75 from AliExpress.
Cheers
Andy