Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-05-2021, 09:28 AM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

Farpoint FVC8-AS Bar for 8" Celestron SCT

Hello All,

I don't know if you have come across this, but thought I might share my experience.

I purchased this bar, to provide a mounting platform for a 60mm Orion dual guidescope/finder. When I tried to attach it, the screws were too short, and it did not look like the appropriate bar for top mount of accessories on the C8 OTA.

I contacted the supplier ( who shall remain nameless ), and was told - quote - "The bar needs to be mounted upside down, the flat side up, and the vixen section facing the OTA".

To me, this didn't seem logical, what was the Orion dovetail going to attach to.

Checking some reviews of this bar - a lot of people have had concerns. I want to tell the supplier he is full of it, but thought I would check with you guys first. Needless to say, after a couple of trips to nut/bolt/screw providers, I managed to attach it the way I felt it should be ( Vixen side up ), and the Orion snugly fitting the bar via it's dovetail, by drilling a few holes ( M6 X 35mm ), and a couple of longer screws to attach the bar to the OTA.

Cheers,

Doc