Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 28-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Starizona Hyperstar v4 in Oz?

Can anyone tell me where, if anywhere, can one buy the Hyperstar in Australia?
Old 28-04-2020, 12:20 PM
h0ughy (David)

No one except starizona in the US, and for the money just over $1000us to send for the 8inch version or $1600 aud plus 10% tax on arrival, a few more pesos and you. Could get a RASA 8
Old 28-04-2020, 01:16 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
No one except starizona in the US, and for the money just over $1000us to send for the 8inch version or $1600 aud plus 10% tax on arrival, a few more pesos and you. Could get a RASA 8

Yeah, I wanted the flexibility of an F10 and an F2 scope. Now I'll probable piggy back a refractor.
Old 28-04-2020, 07:55 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I'm a hyperstar user and have to agree with HOughy. It's a brilliant system but its not that flexible due to the time spent having to re-collimate and re-balance between swaps. It's not too far off, but enough to be a pain and I have mitigated the balance issues with tube mounted counterweights.

Having said that my problem is exasperated by using the 14" version and there is no way I could swap tube assemblies by myself so there is no other option.

Bite the bullet and get a RASA though, once you try F2, there is no going back
Old 06-05-2020, 08:55 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
I'm a hyperstar user and have to agree with HOughy. It's a brilliant system but its not that flexible due to the time spent having to re-collimate and re-balance between swaps. It's not too far off, but enough to be a pain and I have mitigated the balance issues with tube mounted counterweights.

Having said that my problem is exasperated by using the 14" version and there is no way I could swap tube assemblies by myself so there is no other option.

Bite the bullet and get a RASA though, once you try F2, there is no going back

I appreciate the advice Jonathan however, this is going to be my first scope. I want the flexibility of F/10, F/7 and F/2 all in the one scope.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:22 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
I appreciate the advice Jonathan however, this is going to be my first scope. I want the flexibility of F/10, F/7 and F/2 all in the one scope.
That's fine but you did ask for the advice. Jonathan is far more experienced than me, however I will say again unless you can become an expert in collimation you are going to be in a world of pain. Also you will need to get an aluminum dew shield with the slots for the cables and ability to take Dark's and eventually flats. It just doesn't stop with the hyperstar. The other thing is having a good motor focuser
Old 06-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
That's fine but you did ask for the advice. Jonathan is far more experienced than me, however I will say again unless you can become an expert in collimation you are going to be in a world of pain. Also you will need to get an aluminum dew shield with the slots for the cables and ability to take Dark's and eventually flats. It just doesn't stop with the hyperstar. The other thing is having a good motor focuser

Apologies if that came out arrogant. I appreciate everybody's input as I'm putting together a list that I want to purchase from the very beginning.

Having said that however I can't see me purchasing the Hyperstar system with the rest of my gear. I think that might be a purchase in the far future.

The reason I'm against the RASA as a first scope is I'd like to also have the option of a quick observing session. At the moment I'm leaning towards the 925 Edhge HD and the 0.7 reducer - to begin with
Old 06-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
The reason I'm against the RASA as a first scope is I'd like to also have the option of a quick observing session. At the moment I'm leaning towards the 925 Edhge HD and the 0.7 reducer - to begin with
Rather than going "low tech" observing, use the same camera for Electronically-Assisted Astronomy... you'll see more and you won't have to stand out in the cold

If you really want to stand out in the cold, buy a cheap newt for a couple of hundred $$$.

As David and Jonathan have said, there's nothing like f/2 for imaging.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Buy a scope for each thing you want to do...you would not play golf and try and use a wood for a putter.
Anyways that's what astronomy is all about .
...I have five scopes and only need two more.
Alex
Old 06-05-2020, 02:24 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Yup more is certainly better.

Although an Edge 9.25 is a very good place to start the collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Buy a scope for each thing you want to do...you would not play golf and try and use a wood for a putter.
Anyways that's what astronomy is all about .
...I have five scopes and only need two more.
Alex
Old 23-05-2020, 09:22 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

A bit smaller - but check the classifieds for a bargain 8" package!

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=183064
Old 24-05-2020, 07:30 PM
Hemi

Hi Phil, my first scope was a C925 and I love it.

I have the f6.3 and f4 reducer, and a couple of barlows.

I am tempted to get the hyperstar as well. There are so many contrary opinions about the “hastles” of it....collimating, focusing, etc etc. that is most confusing.

I like the versatility of it. I can’t imagine it to be much more troublesome then swapping out the entire scope, unless you have multiple permanent setups.

There is a lot of info on cloudy, but I think you’re right in holding off initially, I wouldn’t recommend a RASA for your first scope, or multiple scopes straight off the bat, although I think (hope) Alex was being cheeky. 😉

Cheers

Hemi
Old 24-05-2020, 07:53 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
I got an Hyperstar 3 for my C11 a long while ago before they made RASAs. From an imaging point the RASA is designed for that exactly. The hyperstar is a little trickier to use. Tilt can be an issue. Collimation is a bit awkward. It's heavier than a RASA. You need a solid dewshield to do calibration frames. You need a micro focuser for the primary. Other than that it's a fast system easy to use. You have to ask yourself how much imaging you're going to do vs. visual. If it's primarily imaging get a RASA. If not then a SCT with hyperstar is the way to go. Starizona is the place to get all the bits you need.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I got an Hyperstar 3 for my C11 a long while ago before they made RASAs. From an imaging point the RASA is designed for that exactly. The hyperstar is a little trickier to use. Tilt can be an issue. Collimation is a bit awkward. It's heavier than a RASA. You need a solid dewshield to do calibration frames. You need a micro focuser for the primary. Other than that it's a fast system easy to use. You have to ask yourself how much imaging you're going to do vs. visual. If it's primarily imaging get a RASA. If not then a SCT with hyperstar is the way to go. Starizona is the place to get all the bits you need.

Thank you to all that have responded.

Marc, I'm still leaning towards the 925. Even though I plan on a lot of imaging, I also want the flexibility of imaging and visual, especially for planets.

My initial kit will be:
925 Edge HD
CGX mount
Celestron focuser
Celestron .7 reducer
Celestron Deluxe OAG

Second round will be:
ZWO ASI 174MM mini
ZWO ASI 294MC Pro

Third round is up in the air but might look like:
Either the Hyperstar V3 plus dew shield and other peripherals.

OR
an entirely separate wide field refractor.

I still like the idea of the Hyperstar. I'm hoping after a few months of ownership I'll be comfortable in colomating the scope, so the Hyperstar should be a non issue.

We'll see. I need to lock in stage one very soon as I'm about to pull the trigger on this baby.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:56 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

A C925 is still small so you shouldn't have any issue with flex or tilt. If you want to be able to do long FL planetary, a little visual as well as fast imaging then it's a no brainer. Get the Hyperstar and you'll get the most out of your scope.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
A C925 is still small so you shouldn't have any issue with flex or tilt. If you want to be able to do long FL planetary, a little visual as well as fast imaging then it's a no brainer. Get the Hyperstar and you'll get the most out of your scope.

Yeah, that's most likely the path I'll take.

Have you had many issues with having to colomate regularly? There seems to be conflicting posts on this topic.
Old 25-05-2020, 01:46 PM
Hemi

Quote:

Have you had many issues with having to colomate regularly? There seems to be conflicting posts on this topic.
I've had my C925 for a few years. Its still my primary instrument. I've needed to collimate it 3 times. 2 of those were when my OTA got Fungus and Oxidation and needed repairing. SCT's hold collimation really well. But its very easy to do compared to other scope types (and quite fun to do, and with a camera it can be really precise). In reality ive collimated it a few more times then that, just for the heck of it, and its easy, and its fun, and with an sct you cant really mess it up irrevocably.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 25-05-2020, 01:49 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
I've had my C925 for a few years. Its still my primary instrument. I've needed to collimate it 3 times. 2 of those were when my OTA got Fungus and Oxidation and needed repairing. SCT's hold collimation really well. But its very easy to do compared to other scope types (and quite fun to do, and with a camera it can be really precise).

Cheers

Hemi

Hi Hemi.

But that's without using the Hyperstar system, right?
Old 25-05-2020, 01:54 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:

I never had to tilt or collimate the hyperstar as I moded my C11 to be able to move the primary. But there is a small push/pull ring on the front that is now much better designed than the older models so you shouldn't have any issues with it. If your scope is new and already collimated it is unlikely you'll have to do any major change.
Old 25-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
I never had to tilt or collimate the hyperstar as I moded my C11 to be able to move the primary. But there is a small push/pull ring on the front that is now much better designed than the older models so you shouldn't have any issues with it. If your scope is new and already collimated it is unlikely you'll have to do any major change.

Good to hear! Thanks for the reply. It's looking more and more that I'll probably end up buying the Hyperstar.