Old 01-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Malang_Darwish

Hello all!

I am new to the forum, and also relatively new to the hobby. I'm a member of another forum for astronomy, but when I stumbled across this community, I knew I had to become a part of it! I'm based in Adelaide, I'm turning 30 this year, and I guess astronomy/astrophotography is one of many hobbies which I seem to have accumulated over time.

I was always interested in the night sky, even from a young age, and for years before I bought any actual observing equipment, I had apps like SkyView on my mobile phone and observed with my naked eyes.

My equipment to date, I've listed in my signature. I also use my Google Pixel 4XL for astrophotography (to the extent that it's possible, more like moon/planets and sky shots).

I can't wait to interact with you all here, and thank you for having me. I love the vibe of this community already and it's a real privilege to be a member, I feel.

Best,

Malang
Old 02-03-2021, 07:34 PM
AdamJL

Awesome stuff, welcome Malang!
Old 08-03-2021, 09:08 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I'm back, after a break! Glad to see everything still ticking over
Old 20-04-2021, 04:52 PM
TanawhaGS (Geoff)

New to the site

Hello folks

I first became interested in the night sky trying to capture Halley's Comet on a Canon AE1 film camera in 1986. Managed a smudge on film. After learning some of the night sky and observing with eyes and binoculars for the last 35 years, I decided it was time for a telescope while camping and failing to get a good look at the Saturn-Jupiter conjunction in December 2020.

First step was a 5" Newtonian for my birthday in February. Aperture fever seems to arise rather quickly. By March I had a 9.25 SCT (Evolution), have joined the Brisbane Astronomical Society and attended a couple of nights at the Maleny site (Sunshine Coast QLD). Very friendly and welcoming crew!

Am looking forward to the journey and comraderie that is evident in this sphere. Have built a heater strap, battery box and Arduino-based dew heater controller using resources and ideas shared by others on this and other sites. Dew heater seems to work and I haven't set fire to anything. Yet.

Cheers
Geoff
Old 20-04-2021, 06:29 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Geoff

Welcome, and don't worry, there is plenty of time to start the fire!

Have fun

Philip
Old 08-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Kareta (Katrin)

Hello to everyone!
I'm Katrin. I fell in love with astronomy when I was at school. And I'm very happy to become a part of this community. It's great.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:51 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hello Katrin. Welcome to the forum. I bet you are our first forum member from Belarus! Don't be afraid to ask for help on any subject. There are a lot of smart people on this site.
Cheers, Richard
Old 14-06-2021, 08:45 PM
Goffas1964 (Michael)

In the beginning...

Hi team,
Total newbie here and am embarking on the adventure of astronomy at a 'mature age'.
Hopeful to gleen some info from this site / forums on equipment to start and pointers to assist on the journey.

M
Old 14-06-2021, 09:28 PM
AdamJL

G'day Michael, welcome aboard. Lots of good info here
Old 18-06-2021, 08:15 PM
druhl (Divye)
druhl

Hi,

Divye here from India.

Been a visual observer for a couple of years, but only recently getting into Astrophotography.

Here to ask questions & learn.

Cheers & clear skies,
Old 19-06-2021, 05:15 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello and welcome to Iceinspace
Old 26-06-2021, 01:29 PM
skiap (Filip)

Hi guys,

Filip here,
Last year I moved to Sydney from Hobart and I have to say it's been a downgrade in terms of light pollution but a huge upgrade in terms of clear skies
Old 12-07-2021, 06:23 PM
Tyrone.Thomas (ASTRONOMER)

what is the best telescope i am a beginner
Old 12-07-2021, 11:29 PM
raymo

Hello Tyrone, If you are looking at doing visual [observing], and maybe some basic photography, then an 8" Dobsonian is a great starting point, good amount of aperture, and not too heavy. If you want to do some simple snapping, then make sure that the scope you get can come to focus when a DSLR camera is attached to the focuser. All Skywatcher ones will be fine, but if buying another brand ask the seller if his scope does have enough back focus to allow the attachment of a camera.
If you want to move into more serious photography straight away, then
anyone here wanting to help you will need more info, such as what kind of targets you had in mind, and what sort of budget you have to work with.

raymo
Old 13-07-2021, 05:34 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

"what is the best telescope i am a beginner"

Hello,

If you have been reading about telescopes I'm sure you have seen the saying "The best scope is the one you use the most". The Questar 7" would be right up there for the best scope, small, light(well compact anyway) and packs a punch miles above its small foot print. But at a price that is more than a little restrictive...

The 8" dob is a great starter scope, plenty around 2nd hand as well. But depending on your fitness/age they can start to get "heavy", if you have to carry the base more than 30mtrs they can start to get awkward!

However a simple dolly can make a large scope easy to use every night.

Budget and a weight limit if there is one, also, do you have reserves left for incidentals such as eyepieces, shrouds, dew shields and a fairly endless list of addons after those...

Steve
Old 13-07-2021, 08:42 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Tyrone,
Welcome to IceInSpace

There are plenty of reviews in the beginners sections and in the Projects DIY reviews sections (left side column). There is one called General Principles for Choosing your first Telescope

But in general terms, the answer depends on many considerations.

Firstly how much money can you afford to invest? It may surprise you to find several hundred dollars may be the base line, for a good starter scope that may serve your interest for a few years.

At the same time you should ask yourself how sure am I that this is for me? If this is a dip your toe in the water idea, you may not want to commit to a big upfront investment.

A solution to these issues is to use other people's scopes first. This will help to see what you can see with what it will cost. See if there is an observing group around your location. Most amateur astronomers are more than happy to share their experiences and let you look through their scopes. Especially Ice In Space members.

If you want to come to the Central Coast, I am happy to help you see some different types of scopes.

Next, do you want to observe or photograph. If you are like most, the idea of sharing your views is enticing. But astrophotography increases the investment levels and associated auxiliary equipment exponentially once you progress past very basic levels. I soon dropped this idea, but it cost me, because I was initially sold a scope that allowed for this, but was not so suited for basic visual, which is all I do now.

The simple answer is (for visual beginners) is the Dobsonian. You can get a reasonable size DOB for around $500 new. (6" diameter full tube $449; 8" $649; etc). The DOB base allows easy setup and moves up/down left/right.
It is easy to use visually.

I recommend an alternate tube type that collapses, Easier to carry and store. But price goes up. (8" flex dob $849).

Then there is locating and tracking your object. Computerised Go-To Flex Dob 8" $1649).

So many other types to consider. Equatorial mounts add to cost but move in the same fashion as the stars, so are more suited to photographic endeavours, but can be a literal pain in the neck to use visually.

Schmidt Cassegrains are more compact but higher cost again but more versatile IMHO.

These are all "reflectors". Purists may recommend refractors.

And on it goes.

This is why I would recommend looking through other peoples scopes first and listening to their stories.

A final consideration is Where will you observe from. Light pollution in Sydney is not conducive in many cases, do you need a scope that will transport easily?

Have a look for Star Parties in the star parties forum.

Sorry for long post but there are many considerations for you to ponder. Don't waste your money on a super cheap "toy", we would like to help you.

Regards
Allan
Old 18-07-2021, 08:31 AM
Efendy

Introduction

Hi all,

I have signed up recently and very happy to be part of this great community.

I bought an 8" collapsible dobsonian which gave us great views of moon, jupiter, saturn, venus and Mars. Also looked at the Orion and a few other DSOs. However, a manual dobsonian is really difficult to use with small kids! Therefore, Ive just bought a second hand 8SE and waiting for it to arrive, can't wait.

I have a few questions to ask and I am sure I will contribute as well down the track.

Cheers,
Abdullah
Old 18-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Abdullah
Welcome to IceInSpace

Those are both great scopes.
The 8SE should make it easier to find objects, and keep them in the eyepiece with tracking. Relatively easy to setup and align, the only downside is the need to watch out for the power cable, (or keep a bunch of spare batteries on hand).

Ask plenty of questions we are here to share the experience.
Old 18-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Efendy

Hi Allan,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

My first question or concern is that I haven't received the 8se yet as a friend bought it for me in nsw and will ship it. It's in its original box and I will get tnt to courier it for me with fragile written all over the box. But I am still worried that they would drop it or mishandle it and it would break! It will be insured as well.
Do you or anybody in the forum have experience shipping telescopes? Any suggestions?
Picking up won't be an option for a while given the pandemic!

Cheers,
Abdullah
Old 18-07-2021, 10:19 PM
raymo

I have used Pack and Send several times, with myself packing the gear,
or them doing it for an extra charge, and have had no problems.
A tip, if you should end up using the postal system DON'T put fragile
stickers on the packages. No doubt others will chip in with their experiences.
raymo