Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

First light with 24mm Televue Pano

After weeks of rain/cloud, the wind blew it all away last night for some moon hindered observing with the latest addition: a 24mm Televue Panoptic EP.

Now conditions weren't the best: plenty of twinkle and a half moon blazing away. In addition, my scope really needs to be colliminated at present (been putting it off for a while).

Having said all that, the TV Pano was REALLY noticeably better than the EP I compared it with. I started off with my 25mm Celestron Plossl that came with the scope. It is not a bad EP but not a good one either - very mid range. Obviously the FOV is larger with the Pano, but the objects I observed seemed sharper and clearer even at first glance. The optics seemed to be quite consistent from centre to the edge.

Being a Sunday night (and lots of moon), I only did a few objects: NGC 2070, 104, Jupiter, 362.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and I am looking forward to a longer work out in a couple of weeks when the moon goes away.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I like my Panoptics - 35, 27 and 19mm. A good wide-ish field workhorse.