Old 18-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Autofocus with Moonlite Focuser

Hiya!

Looking for feedback on auto focusing with a Moonlite Focuser? Is it 100% repeatable? What success rate would you think you have?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to save a few dollars and a Moonlite would be significantly cheaper than the Feather Touch however; Feather Touch use rack and pinion which will always give drive, whereas Moonlite may have slippage due to a Crayford design.

I didn't want to spend half of my money on the full Moonlite setup if it wasn't going to give me the results in auto focusing.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bart; 18-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 18-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Paul Haese

Hi Grey,

I have just gone down this path myself. I checked with Ron from Moonlite as to load lifts etc. The bottom line is you need to use the correct focuser for the load it will be lifting. I am using a bigger Crayford for a Newtonian (CRL) and tensioned up the lifting capacity to prevent slippage and so far all the V curves and focusing runs have worked well. I am lifting a QSI683 with WSG-8, guide camera and coma corrector. Remember it can sometimes be upside down in various part of the sky. So far nothing has slipped and I am convinced it will be fine. If I were to use a bigger camera and imaging train I would use my Atlas.
Old 18-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Hi Paul, thanks for the feed back. I will be using a QHY9 and 7 position filter wheel, OAG and QHY5 with extension tube and a Tak TOA-35 flattener. Being a refractor it will nearly always be hanging downwards. Not a great load, I guess similar to yours, maybe a bit less. How do you tension it up?
Old 18-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Paul Haese

There are two grub screws on the side of the focuser that has the locking screw. You tighten those to get more lifting power.
Old 19-08-2017, 05:44 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

After slightly tightening the two grub screws for extra tension, in over two years of imaging with it, I never noticed any slippage with QSI WSG8, guide camera, and a field corrector on my previous refractor, and the focuser always worked as it should.

However, I do like a greater resolution of motorised FTF and after I learned how to use it, I now prefer my 3.2" FTF over previously owned (and loved) 2.5" motorised Moonlite. FTF really does feel very solid giving an impression as if one could hang a bucket (half) full of bricks off it.
Old 20-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Thanks Slawomir, that is not what I wanted to hear!!

Good feedback, I really cannot afford to buy two focusers if the cheaper one does not do the job.

Who else is using a Moonlight??
Old 20-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

No problemo

And then there is a NiteCrawler...

But seriously, I can wholeheartedly recommend a 2.5" Moonlite for your imaging train. You can also get a motorised rotator with it, which I also really liked using with my previous telescope.