Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 17-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

New Sony ICX674 Sensor well depth & RC8 Planetary experience

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long title! Been soooo tired and busy lately with my new job. Hopefully soon I'll get into the rhythm and will be back here to post and read about everyone's adventure hehe (This also includes attending to my new NEQ6 & RC8, which so far has seen 20min of starlight!) Incase anybody was interested, I found the full well depth for the Sony ICX674 Sensor (Found in the ATIK 428EX retailing for $2499 at Andrews). I found it hard to come by, as neither Atik or Andrews or anywhere else I could find it:

http://www.adimec.com//en/Service_Menu/Industrial_camera_products/Rugged_tailored_and_COTS_cameras_fo r_defense_and_security_applications/Customized_Solutions/Sensor_comparison_kai-02150_ICX-674_CMV2000

Says its only 15,000. Then again its QE (and spread) is amazing. I also had the chance to check out saturn - WOW. With my recently acquired second hand Orion Stratus 13mm, the view was clear enough to see tonal detail on the surface of the planet and easily see Cassini + the shadow of the ring. Very crisp. Im no expert but still amazing, considering I know its not been collimated yet either. So once again, if anyone was interested, planetary isnt so bad as some people made it out (Yes large obstruction and somewhat thick vanes - but hey, still does a better job than either my 80ED or my old Newt so Im happy ). Ill be buying a TMB soon for planetary soon anyways (Thanks to Poita who was kind enough to lend me his 5mm - I will never forget seeing the ice caps for the first time on mars from my 80ED )

I'm actually in the market for a new CCD, and almost decided on a 8300-based CCD but decided to put the funds into the new gear. Now I'm back searching - Contemplating if this sensor is my answer. Ill primarily be doing DSOs like galaxies with the RC8. Pixels are small enough for widefields too with the 80ED

So what does IIS think of the new sensor?
High QE vs Low Wells