ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Brycepj (Peter)

What is good to see

Hi Everyone
I'm up in yarrawonga in Northern Victoria and have bought my sw80/400 scope, tonight should be a clear night so family I am with are interested to look at some objects. Last night which was cloud covered there was a small window to "see " so I showed them Jupiter and it's four moonswhich has peaked there interest.
I was wondering if "you" were here with your experience what would you show them using my 80/400 scope.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Peter

Here are some suggestions for you for tonight

M42 - The Orion Nebula
NGC 4755 - The Jewel Box Cluster (Near the Southern Cross)
NGC 104 - 47 Tucanae (Globular Cluster)
Alpha Crucis - Double Star (Brightest Star in the Southern Cross)
Alpha Centauri - Double Star (Brightest of the two pointers)
NGC 5139 - Omega Centauri (Globular Cluster)
Saturn - (Doesn't tise until 10:33 pm though)

All the best.

Paul

PS There is one fly over of the ISS tonight - at 9:40 pm in the SW (duration 5 minutes 14o above the horizon)

Last edited by pfitzgerald; 08-03-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: ISS flyover added
Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM
nudibranch (Paul)

If you are out in the early evening; the Pleiades in the low West, would be a good start. Then the red stars of Aldebaran in Taurus and Betelgeuse in Orion, then up to the large nebulae in Orion's Belt and Sword (M42).

As above check out the sights in the southern cross. Before you go out tonight search for the locations of these star clusters on the way to Eta Carina:

NGC 3766
IC 2602 "southern Pleiades" (need low mag eyepiece)
NGC 3532 like coins in a "Wishing Well"

Then Eta Carina and surrounds...

The star cluster NGC 2516 which the "false cross" conveniently points to is also really nice.

From here the fainter constellation of Volans has two cool double stars. Gamma Volantis's partner is of slightly lower mag, whereas neighbouring Zeta Volantis has a significantly dimmer (10th mag) companion, so this will be a good test of your dark adaption

Now that your all dark adapted and focus averted keep going to the LMC's Tarantula Nebula.

Have Fun.

If you go looking at Jupiter again, Io will be Occulted a bit after 22:30 EST and will reappear from its shadow at about 1:30 EST.

Paul.

btw - I'm just a beginner, so if I got anything wrong in that description I hope someone corrects me
Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Paul, that's a wonderful tour you've given .
A nice mixture of everything.

Just adding to Paul's list while in Taurus, is the massive and bright Hyades star cluster. So large that even in binoculars it spills over the edges. It sits where the red star Aldebaran and is in the fork. Too easy to find.
Map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...us_IAU.svg.png

Also

The Southern Pleiades in Carina, IC 2602 is a gorgeous, large and bright cluster and another great one for binoculars too.
Very easy to find using Canopus- the second brightest star in the night sky. Hop it to Miaplacidus and run a straight line to theta Carina where it sits. This is also known as the theta Carinae cluster. The famous & huge eta Carina nebula sits just next to and above theta so slew around slowly. Even through light pollution on a moonless night, I can never get over how easy it is to see this nebula with the naked eye.
Map:
http://www.constellation-guide.com/w...lation-map.gif

All the best with your family viewing, it's so much fun when family are involved in our hobby .