Old 27-01-2007, 01:04 PM
gilbert

Medium Format (6x4.5) at prime focus?

Hi

can anyone tell me, is it posible to use a medium format slr with a t ring adaptor for shooting at prime focus through a telescope (the same way you'd use a 35mm or digital slr)?

Thanks
Old 28-01-2007, 09:37 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I don't know, but I would expect you would get a lot of vignetting... ...unless the visual back/eyepiece holder was very large in diameter. Even with a 2" EP holder/visual back I think vignetting would be a problem...

Someone with more experience than me could comment though.

Al.
Old 28-01-2007, 02:26 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

I have seen much great work done with medium formats/prime focus - the biggest issue is the flex in such a large negative, they almost always have to use vacumn backs to hold them flat during long exposures. and also there is availability and choice in film stocks, sadly theres only a few choices left - the film guys have been painted into a corner, by increments, its convert to digital or get out of dodge! the decisions out of our control - unless you want to buy a 2000 dollar dedicated neg scanner, and i'm personally not a big fan of scanned 35mm slides/negs images, which was my choice of medium (unless its something big and bright and fills the whole neg, like an aurora or great comet ) - medium format and bigger, yes, there big enough to do a nice job.

do a search in google for examples