ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-08-2021, 09:09 PM
Saturn488

Scope tube risers

The focus knob on my scope clashes with the heq5 saddle tightening knobs. Does anyone know if I can put a raise btween the tube rings and the vixen dovetail?
Old 31-08-2021, 08:34 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Yes, I saw this problem the other day when my brother-in-law tried to mount his DSLR camera on an F6 ED80. Problem is too light at front so have to slide scope all the way forward and focus knobs clash with plate. Solution is to mount dovetail on another plate and raise the whole unit, or simply turn the scope with the focuser knobs up instead of down! This may preclude the use of the finder mount, but I have always preferred to mount finders on a tie plate between the rings, rather than on the focuser or lower down on the tube.
The problem only seems to happen with smaller scopes - the bigger refractors are very front heavy.
Old 31-08-2021, 08:36 AM
Saturn488

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Yes, I saw this problem the other day when my brother-in-law tried to mount his DSLR camera on an F6 ED80. Problem is too light at front so have to slide scope all the way forward and focus knobs clash with plate. Solution is to mount dovetail on another plate and raise the whole unit, or simply turn the scope with the focuser knobs up instead of down! This may preclude the use of the finder mount, but I have always preferred to mount finders on a tie plate between the rings, rather than on the focuser or lower down on the tube.
The problem only seems to happen with smaller scopes - the bigger refractors are very front heavy.
Very good tip, I will do that.

Thank you!
Old 30-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Saturn488

Did the rotation but the electronic focuser got in the way.

Ummd and arghed about it for a while and found a solution. Purchased some M6 couplers and M6 bolts with a hex head from Bunnings and its working a treat. Put a few washers in and now got the height.