Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 21-05-2021, 10:19 AM
Craig_

Adding autofocuser and still using scope case?

I'm looking to add an autofocus unit to my Esprit 120 (eg the Pegasus FocusCube 2, but have not made a final call on model) but one consideration has struck me - these things all seem to add considerable bulk to the side of the scope and it feels like the OTA will no longer fit in the supplied case even if I cut a space in the foam - I don't think the case is wide enough.

I shoot from my backyard sometimes but also often drive to areas of darker sky so I tear down my set up after each session and store the scope in the protective case it came in. Am I just SOL here? Taking the AF unit on and off after each session is a non-starter. How do other people navigate this issue?
Old 21-05-2021, 02:11 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

I added a Starizona autofocuser to my Esprit 100. I now keep the Esprit on top of its box instead of inside.
Old 21-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosborn View Post
I added a Starizona autofocuser to my Esprit 100. I now keep the Esprit on top of its box instead of inside.
I was afraid this may be the outcome. Storage isn't a problem at home but when I want to go to a dark site I need it in the case. Quite a pain.
Old 21-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Astronut07 (Ben)

Craig

I attached a Focus Cube V2 to my WO132 which I tear down after every session.
I have had to cut foam to accommodate scope/focuser into case.
I attached the focuser to long dovetail under scope, this gives added protection & rigidity to setup for use at home & dark site
Unfortunately I do not have any detailed pics but you can see where Focuser is attached to dovetail

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (43CDE923-67C7-4F16-8A37-00F36AD440B3.jpg)
97.6 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (E66C0D51-0058-4BC5-AFB7-1A6AC5809501.jpg)
113.3 KB39 views
Old 21-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

In the box for the Esprit 100, there was a slot for the finder scope adjacent to the focuser end of the scope. I say was...as it was “modified” to accomodate the focuser motor instead.

Not sure what the layout of the 120 box is though
Old 21-05-2021, 07:11 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronut07 View Post
Craig

I attached a Focus Cube V2 to my WO132 which I tear down after every session.
I have had to cut foam to accommodate scope/focuser into case.
I attached the focuser to long dovetail under scope, this gives added protection & rigidity to setup for use at home & dark site
Unfortunately I do not have any detailed pics but you can see where Focuser is attached to dovetail

Good luck
Interesting idea bolting the Focus Cube to the dovetail instead of the focuser itself. Considering the design appears to be based on bolting it to the focuser did you have any issues doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
In the box for the Esprit 100, there was a slot for the finder scope adjacent to the focuser end of the scope. I say was...as it was “modified” to accomodate the focuser motor instead.

Not sure what the layout of the 120 box is though
Yeah, it sounds similar - I could just ditch the finderscope from the case entirely and it should fit. I don't actually use it Not sure about the Esprit 100 case but the 120 has a thin black rigid divider between the main OTA foam area and the accessories foam area. Did the 100 case have the same and did it cut OK?

Pic of mine attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (case.jpg)
174.1 KB41 views
Old 21-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Astronut07 (Ben)

Craig

This was not my idea, I came across a YouTube tutorial by James Lamb regarding the Focus Cube V2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCZGysgJgs

I had no issues with installation of Focus Cube, I have found with this mounting arrangement to be extremely robust
I would definitely recommend

Cheers
Ben
Old 21-05-2021, 09:55 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronut07 View Post
Craig

This was not my idea, I came across a YouTube tutorial by James Lamb regarding the Focus Cube V2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCZGysgJgs

I had no issues with installation of Focus Cube, I have found with this mounting arrangement to be extremely robust
I would definitely recommend

Cheers
Ben
Oh I really like that idea! Bookmarked, as I'll be getting that focuser soon.
Old 21-05-2021, 10:01 PM
Craig_

I'll measure it tomorrow but I think I'd actually need a longer losmandy bar to make it work. I have the ADM 15" under my 120, but as you see from the case photo above the position of the rings is "fixed" if you want it to fit into the foam so I can't move the front ring back to enable the plate to go back far enough to sit right under the focuser.
Old 22-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post
Yeah, it sounds similar - I could just ditch the finderscope from the case entirely and it should fit. I don't actually use it Not sure about the Esprit 100 case but the 120 has a thin black rigid divider between the main OTA foam area and the accessories foam area. Did the 100 case have the same and did it cut OK?

Pic of mine attached.
Yeah the 100 is much the same. Just cut it with a suitable implement