Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 08-04-2021, 08:38 PM
AdamJL

Your “I’ve stuffed up” stories

Is one of the worst feelings in this hobby when you drop any of your gear?
I dropped my brand new ASI2600 tonight. Fell from my clumsy grasp onto gravel.
The outside surface is now a bit scuffed up. I wonder if it can be repaired. I will honesty pay ZWO to fix the surface, this stuff annoys me.
I connected it and tried to cool down the camera to see if it was working then my heart sank as I watched it stop at -3.10 and keep drawing more and more power.
Decided to disconnect/reconnect and it turns out it had actually hit target temperature of -10 but it didn’t update in NINA. After the reconnect, things worked as normal.
Since then it’s been performing fine but what a rubbish start to the night

Any other stories out there?
Old 08-04-2021, 10:54 PM
Karlz (Karl)

I had the nightly release of NINA, after being at RCW 38 I went to running chook for a few more subs. It did that no worries but then I decided to change the rotation of my frame, so NINA thought it should do a clock wise slew ( when looking from behind ) when I was 15 minutes off meridian. I've never had tripod crash till tonight, luckily enough I got away with a focuser pushed in a little and a laptop that had a hissy fit for about 20 minutes.
It must have been the night for it, nice and clear with bugga all breeze.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:16 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Way back in the early 90's, had my near new Astro-Physics 130EDT on the sofa while I unscrewed the 2.7" extension piece from the visual back. Naturally as the threads separated, so did the extension from my hand taking a large chunk of paint out out of the tube. Annoyed at the time but I got over it and used and used that scope for 22 years. Sure when I sold, the mark (and others) took the value down, but I had had a lot of good observing with that scope. So the moral is - don't worry about it, just make sure you get a lot of use out of the camera so you get the value out of it.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:37 AM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I've nothing like dropping expensive equipment ... yet .. but I can admit to multiple times of cursing the thing to realise that imaging works best with the lenscap off.....

Last edited by RB; 09-04-2021 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Profanity deleted - bypassing profanity filter TOS
Old 09-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Startrek (Martin)

About 3 years ago I decided to clean the primary mirror in my 6” newt for the first time
So removed it and placed it on a towel next to the kitchen sink , then picked it up with one hand from behind and started pouring distilled water over it and the bloody thing slipped off my palm and fell in the sink
Chipped a 10mm slither of glass on the edge just below where the polished mirror finishes
Phew lucky
After that lucky stuff up I now sit the mirror in a plastic grated bowl in the sink and wash it without holding it
You live and learn
Scope is nearly 5 years old now and still has a chip in the primary mirror edge and still produces good images
My little old gem
Old 11-04-2021, 12:21 AM
AdamJL

thanks for sharing your stories. They gave me a laugh and looks like some of us have learned some important lessons!

Here's another one from tonight.
We drove to our little dark site, and the skies were BEAUTIFUL. Clear everything. Thinking I could finally get a good night's imaging, we setup the tent, and I setup the scope. It was freezing up there, and with the little ones tucked away, I thought "great, here we go"..

first problem: I noticed my power cable for the camera wasn't working. Something I'd noticed at home previously, and LUCKILY I brought a spare just in case it died. Result! Finally I was prepared for a problem.

This is the power cable... more on this later
https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-3a-c...utlet/p/MP3671

Of course I connect everything, power the camera... and oh dear. It connected, but I couldn't cool it. I couldn't even take a test exposure, as the camera didn't want to talk to my PC.

I thought maybe it was the infamous ZWO flat cables finally showing me a hard time, and resolved to test a new cable the next day.

But my gut said it was an issue with the camera after dropping it earlier, and with everyone freezing, we decided to pack up and come home and at least get a decent night's sleep for once.

Halfway home, I remembered something.... and when I eventually got through the door, I tested my theory.
Bingo. It was a simple problem. The above power cable has a voltage switch. On the old one, I'd already switched it to 12V. This replacement was still on 3V.
So all I needed to do was switch voltage!!

At least the problem is solved, but I stuffed up tonight!
Old 11-04-2021, 10:19 AM
RyanJones

There’s some funny stories coming out here ( in hindsight )

Mine was my collimating laser last week. I stupidly undid the single thumb screw from the 1.25 - 2 “ adaptor instead of the pair on the two inch end and watched my beautifully collimated laser do a lemming onto my tile floor. Suffice to say she’s far from a collimated laser now

Ryan
Old 11-04-2021, 12:14 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Nothing worse for me is to go to a dark sky site away from home and while trying to attach knobs and screws (of course dark in colour so that match the darkness well! ) and drop them in the grassy area. Then spending a long time trying to find the dropped item. Usually when setting up a truss dobsonian.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:10 PM
leon

Yes, I have seen my Canon 5D and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens slide off the tripod and hit a concrete floor.

My heart sank as it lay on the ground, however it took it pretty well and other than a few dents, it worked for many years there after until such time i tried to fix the lens because of some wobble feeling and stuffed it completely.

Now it is totally stuffed.

Leon
Old 11-04-2021, 01:21 PM
SB (Chris)

Stuffed up stories

My story was in 2019. I had just started imaging and was showing my setup to a friend. We decided to slew to another object not realising some cables were snagged on the mount frame. The scope tightened on the cables tearing out USB ports and damaging cables. Now I only have one cable coming from the mount for power!

Chris
Old 11-04-2021, 01:47 PM
leon

Oh dear all these stories, and i bet there are many who are not game to talk about their misfortunes. all good

Leon
Old 11-04-2021, 08:36 PM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Ok, few stories in one here ... never taken my scope/gear to a dark site, or anywhere away from home. Had it all for 10 years so far. Friend convinced me to take it away this weekend, after not even using it for the past 12 months, except to collect dust.

So, I prepared myself ... did a test run (inside) checking I had all cables etc. and it all still works. A 3.5 hour drive from home, we get there, beautiful clear skies, the clearest I've ever seen. Could clearly see the Coalsack Nebula and LMC with unaided eyes without dark adapting. Friend had a medium format camera to try out!!!

First night: "Stuff up #1" - It takes me an hour of frustration to realise I should have added 12.7 degrees for magnetic declination instead of minus! "Stuff Up 2", wrestled and couldn't get guiding working, despite PHD saying it calibrated (turns out I didn't level the mount, remembered that the next day after a refresher of reading articles).

"Stuff up 3": Wasn't careful packing away in the dark after the first session and squashed my USB cable for the AutoGuider (not too bad, now fits better than the losse connection it had before, a half win!?).

"Stuff up 4": my finder scope was a little off alignment from my imaging scope, couldn't point accurately enough to find targets!

Second night: after re-reading all the guides, now actually aiming at True South, ie 168 degree bearing, levelled my scope, used the imaging camera to align my hand controller (this way we're more on target) ... the hand controller kept rebooting... turns out the cable wasn't clicked in properly (Stuff up 5). Despite re-connecting, had many issues with getting a successful alignment!

Turns out, I hadn't locked off my counter weight shaft and it kept sliding slightly, ruining everything (stuff up 6).

In the end, after a total of 2 nights, 4.5 hours, much fatigue and cold, with the outside air around 2 degrees, and ditching my autoguider as I'd had enough troubles ... we managed a few subs, 30 seconds long of an incredible nebula, somewhere near NGC 3372 but not it!

Will try and post an image once we get it sorted/processed.

My TLDR: practise, practise, practise!!!

If it's been a while, or you don't normally setup in a "new"/remote place, be sure to do it, with lights on, with a checklist and physically tick off items, until you can do it blind folded ... and even then, don't DO IT BLINDFOLDED, hahaha.

But stick with it!!! The results can be so rewarding and amazing!!!

P.S Yes I've dropped my Canon 50D once, in the early days, and had trouble pointing my scope at the moon to show a friend (before I had a finder scope). It's a very easily solo hobby, which goes pair shaped when demonstarting to others ... but much more fun with friends who are interested and keen!
Old 11-04-2021, 09:36 PM
AdamJL

Ha, I've been doing "normal" photography for nearly 20 years. I've dropped cameras (multiple), lenses (multiple), filters (multiple), tripods (multiple)... almost everything has kept working, so they're built like tanks in that market.
I'm new to astro, and it'd be nice not to have that habit continue here...

Also, Daniel's comment about practicing and having a checklist is SOUND.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:03 AM
N1 (Mirko)

I drove from Tahmoor to Yass to see the 2012 Transit of Venus, found a beautiful site, set up, only to find I'd left my eyepieces at home. Luckily, no one else was there to hear it.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:55 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
I drove from Tahmoor to Yass to see the 2012 Transit of Venus, found a beautiful site, set up, only to find I'd left my eyepieces at home. Luckily, no one else was there to hear it.
I drove pretty far a few times forgetting counter weights, the gemini box and even the mount tripod once. I now have a routine to assemble and power up everything in the kitchen then pack it up in the car once done.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:09 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I drove pretty far a few times forgetting counter weights, the gemini box and even the mount tripod once. I now have a routine to assemble and power up everything in the kitchen then pack it up in the car once done.
So, what your telling us Marc is that you bring everything along.
Even the kitchen sink.

I thought only Houghy did that.

Old 12-04-2021, 03:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
So, what your telling us Marc is that you bring everything along.
Even the kitchen sink.

I thought only Houghy did that.

Since astrofest we coordinate. He brings the sink, I bring the wine and cheese.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:23 PM
RB (Andrew)

Old 12-04-2021, 03:33 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Not a major stuff up, but disappointing...

After 18 months of accidents, ill health, our own and family members, my wife suggested we get away for a few days of peace and quiet.
We love the Grampians district in Victoria, so I went searching for pet friendly accommodation over that way.
Found a farm stay for $125 a night, in the foothills of the Grampians, remote, wildlife, fabulous views etc.
No internet access but it might be good to have a rest from that too!
Restricted dates available so jumped in and booked 3 nights April 26th through 29th, wife very very happy!

Then I thought about some star gazing.

Can't fit the big scope, the dog, and the wife and her 3 day wardrobe of essentials, all in the Corolla,
so just take the ED80 on my Porta II mount and a couple of eyepieces, oh, and the wife and the dog.
Light pollution map tells me Bortle Class 1 skies, you beauty!
On to Skytools 4 Visual to do my planning...

You guessed it, full moon!

Happily, under Bortle 1 skies we are still going to get to see a whole bunch of favourites!
Old 12-04-2021, 08:47 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Major Stuff Up ..... I left my RDF switched on ...forget to turn it off...I was mortified when it wouldn't work next time ....!! ...

Last edited by FlashDrive; 12-04-2021 at 09:51 PM.