Old 21-04-2022, 03:22 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Askar 200 + 294mc clone follow up pics

Some months ago I posted on buying the 200mm f4 Askar 5 element lens and promised some follow up pics. Since then, I also posted on buying "A blue one", being a reference to Cuiv's YouTube video on rebranded clones of Astro cameras. I purchased from AliExpress a copy of the 294mc pro, (coloured blue instead of ZWO red) and at a significant saving, with "instant availability" being the deciding factor.

This thread is not meant to be a review. Both items have performed flawlessly, and since we have now finally had some glorious astro nights up here on the Bortle 2 Darling Downs, I thought I'd follow up with some pics as promised. They're all taken with the Askar 200mm+ 294mc pro clone combo, on an AzEq6 with guide scope. I'm very satisfied with this little package sitting on the front verandah with me cosy inside via wifi.

No processing, apart from integrate/stack in APP, then save to jpg. Intent is mainly to allow evaluation of quality and evaluation of how much the combo will stuff into one widefield picture. LMC, Eta, groups of galaxies and star clusters, they all are quite satisfying to my "happy snap" approach. YMMV but processing would also improve them a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ETA_ngc3324-Luminance-session 67x15s mid.jpg)
212.4 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (ngc2105-Luminance-session 91x30s mid crop-St.jpg)
200.9 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (ngc2516-Luminance-session 62x60s mid.jpg)
210.2 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (ngc4976-Luminance-session 43x60s mid.jpg)
207.6 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (ngc5139-Luminance-session 151x5s mid.jpg)
202.9 KB46 views
Old 21-04-2022, 03:44 PM
Hemi

Thanks Mike,

What is the software/driver support like?

Hemi
Old 21-04-2022, 05:38 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Support

Can't say I've had any reason to contact support for either item, they both just work! Having said that, I would seriously doubt that the camera support would be up to ZWO standard, basically it's just flogged by a rebrander who probably doesn't even know which end is which

Software and packaging wise, it comes in the same packaging as the ZWO, and includes all the same accessories, including a software disc which has a full set of drivers, both direct and ASCOM, plus an SDK, a help manual, camera application software, etc, and an install autorun file that works. As usual, Windows only. and I'm using Win 10 pro with Nina, PHD2 and EQmod. Cooling works fine and build quality is identical to ZWO.

Would I recommend it over the ZWO? If you can't find an ASI294mc Pro at the right price/availability, then, yes. Both come from the same factory.

As for the Askar Lens/scope, one of my better investments. Small, built like a battleship, great quality, and you can even use it with a camera for terrestrial shots at f4 to f22 with manual focussing, although I've fitted the EAF to mine for astro use.