Old 14-12-2021, 10:02 PM
mildredbass (Midred)

Hello everybody! I'm glad to join your community.

Last edited by mildredbass; 16-12-2021 at 04:19 AM.
Old 28-12-2021, 09:46 AM
mloutfie (Mahdi)

Hi All, new member here. Been doing backyard observing for a month now in NOBLE PARK area in Melbourne. Any suggestion on nearby observing sight with less light pollution within 30 minutes drive from me?
Old 28-12-2021, 10:29 AM
DavidS (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloutfie View Post
Hi All, new member here. Been doing backyard observing for a month now in NOBLE PARK area in Melbourne. Any suggestion on nearby observing sight with less light pollution within 30 minutes drive from me?
Hi. Welcome to IceInSpace. I suggest you have a look at lightpollutionmap.info

You want a place with radiance if you can.

David
Old 14-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Miawilson (MIA)

Hello Everyone, I am new here and glad to join your community and seeking for information with the help of this platform.
Old 14-01-2022, 06:40 PM
AdamJL

Hello Mia, welcome to IIS
Old 17-01-2022, 11:01 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emywilson View Post
I am new here, please welcome me Thank you
Welcome Emy, enjoy your stay.
Old 19-01-2022, 05:49 PM
Miawilson (MIA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Hello Mia, welcome to IIS
Thank you Adam hope i will get useful information here
Old 29-03-2022, 12:56 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hello all,

Medium-term lurker here, finally surfacing to say "Hello" and to join in the conversations.

Current gear is a DSLR + Star Adventurer, long-term goal is to have a dark sky site and my own observatory. (Although that goal is a long, long way off at the moment!)

Cheers,
V
Old 29-03-2022, 02:43 PM
AdamJL

G'day Steve and welcome. Yep, that's the dream of everyone here!
Old 05-04-2022, 08:34 PM
Enceladus76 (Justin Young)

Hey all,

Justin here and dipping my toes into Ice in Space. Hoping to increase my knowledge, gear and skills in astro...
Old 05-04-2022, 10:15 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Justin,

Welcome

Have fun and its a great learning experience.

Equipment acquisition can be a slippery slope, I would say just go easy at the start if possible.
Old 15-05-2022, 11:15 AM
PhillipB

New to iceinspace

Hello,

I'm a middle aged man with a lifetime interest in astronomy new to Ice In Space. Over time I've used (just visually, nothing fancy ) an 80mm refractor when I was a kid and a Celestron C8 SCT as an adult. A few years back I upgraded to a Meade 12 inch scope but I've never got around to using it. Astronomy has been a bit sidelined for me lately and Ice In Space was suggested to me by someone at Bintel as a place where equipment could be offered for sale. Once I have "served my time" on this forum (30 days and 5 posts) I intend to list for sale a Meade 12 inch LX200 ACF and Giant Field Tripod. Probably also a Coronado SolarMax 40 (solar Hydrogen alpha) telescope. Till then I'll just keep using my pair of 1x7mm eyes (the focusser needs attention nowadays! ) under the night skies of Penrith NSW. Well, day skies for the solar telescope...

Nice to be here. Thanks for reading
Phillip
Old 22-05-2022, 09:03 PM
RDB (Ron)

hello I am fairly new to astronomy-have a 120mm ED Black Diamond refractor scope with a NEQ6 Pro Go To Equatorial mount.
Seems a pretty good telescope to me, any suggestions please
cheers
Ron
Old 10-06-2022, 08:41 AM
Ironh59

Hi all
Newbie here.
Really grateful for the support I have been getting from the community in general. Wherever I go for stargazing, fellow astronomers offer their support, knowledge and even let me use their gear. Its a wonderful community and I am proud to be a part of it.

Just letting you all know that I own a 3D printer. I have come to know that it is useful for making some of the parts/accessories like bahtinov mask. If you are in Sydney I will be more than happy to print them for you at no cost if you are able to provide stl files. Its little something I can do for the community.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2022, 01:14 PM
meltaxa (Dennis)

Hi everyone. My name is Dennis and I'm new here too. Based in inner city Brisbane. Starting out looking at the moon and the planets to know my gear better before targeting DSO. I find IIS a valuable resource. I've been documenting my journey on a FB page, in particular I photo-chop my astro images into fruit when the skies are cloudy: https://www.facebook.com/fruityastro.
Old 17-06-2022, 11:01 AM
Peter72 (Peter)

Hi all. Another newby, am in rural NSW.
So, I've recently purchased an 8 in Bintel Dobsonian, and hopefully it'll arrive next week.
I really only started getting serious about going down this rabbit hole recently and after finding the Ed Ting channel on YouTube I decided to hand over the hard earned.
The interesting thing about this forum besides the obvious amount of info available, is the more I read the more I realise I have no idea about 99% of the content, but it's thoroughly interesting.
I've downloaded a few apps which have been a tremendous help and got the cheap binoculars out.
Can't wait for the telescope to arrive 😀
Old 01-07-2022, 10:13 AM
generalzod (Stan)

Hi All I'm new in the Astronomy/Astrophotagraphy, here is my set up

Skywatcher Az GTI
ZWO Camera ASI485MC
Raspberry Pi 4 Running Stellarmate
Skywatcher Evolux 62ED
Old 06-08-2022, 11:41 AM
nosleep (Nick)

Hi to all

New to all this and looking at buying a telescope and would also like to get into astro photography at some point.
Will probably get a cheap setup to begin with such as this :https://www.sirius-optics.com.au/sax...ve-system.html
No idea if this would accept a camera a little later on. But no matter, just wanting to begin my astronomy journey.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:50 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

The telescope below was recommended as a good starting scope by an experienced astronomer and having looked at the specs it is a great buy bang for buck...

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/teles...so_Dob150.html

The 150mm will give you a more aperture and the tabletop setup will be way easier to use.

I doubt either setup would take a DSLR well and both mounts will be limited how much extra weight you can load onto them.

I think the table top with GOTO at the same price with more aperture would be a better intro scope imho. A cell phone mount will work with the table top pretty well depending on your phones adjustment settings.

Mobile phones are taking some decent snaps you just need to check the manual for how to access settings for aperture etc on your model.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:34 PM
nosleep (Nick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

The telescope below was recommended as a good starting scope by an experienced astronomer and having looked at the specs it is a great buy bang for buck...

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/teles...so_Dob150.html

The 150mm will give you a more aperture and the tabletop setup will be way easier to use.

I doubt either setup would take a DSLR well and both mounts will be limited how much extra weight you can load onto them.

I think the table top with GOTO at the same price with more aperture would be a better intro scope imho. A cell phone mount will work with the table top pretty well depending on your phones adjustment settings.

Mobile phones are taking some decent snaps you just need to check the manual for how to access settings for aperture etc on your model.
Thanks for the feedback Steve, much appreciated. That 6" Dobsonian is sure worth serious consideration.