Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 23-10-2021, 04:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Smart Watches

I just bought one during my online buying rampage..I know nothing about them and only bought this thing cause they claim it gives you your blood pressure..I have to take my blood pressure twice a day but I wanted yo be able to look at it say when I go shopping and away from my tester... Sortta worked that put but I am curious to hear from folk that have had them for some time and which function they find useful.
Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 04:50 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

We recently got one for a parent, the fall detector was a great feature...

Her ability to answer her phone no matter where she was or what she was doing was not...

If you have fall detection I would seriously suggest you enable it with the appropriate numbers.
Old 23-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Unless you wear that 'Smart Watch' on your upper arm I wouldn't trust it as being very accurate in measuring Blood Pressure particularly given the rules you need to follow when using dedicated wrist cuff Blood Pressure Monitors.
Old 23-10-2021, 05:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Unless you wear that 'Smart Watch' on your upper arm I wouldn't trust it as being very accurate in measuring Blood Pressure particularly given the rules you need to follow when using dedicated wrist cuff Blood Pressure Monitors.
Yes but I will test it along side my "real" unit.
Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 05:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
We recently got one for a parent, the fall detector was a great feature...

Her ability to answer her phone no matter where she was or what she was doing was not...

If you have fall detection I would seriously suggest you enable it with the appropriate numbers.
Interrsting..I want to move back to my little van and that could be useful
Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 06:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, I have researched these watches, and bought one to help with my Cardiac Rehab. As far as blood pressure is concerned, they should not be relied on at this time. I still use my automatic Cuff device, but thankfully do not have to check BP very often any more, but if needed its there. An important function to have in a watch is oxygen saturation level, and many have this function now. Oxygen saturation is measured by that little device they clip into your finger in hospital, or in the ambulance. It reports how much oxygen is being carried by your blood stream, and this is an important diagnosis tool. Generally you want your oxygen saturation rate to high, and if It drops below 90% a clinician will put you on supplemental oxygen.
Some smart watches provide ECG function, but it is a gimmick in my opinion as without the multiple leads attached to your chest the best it can do is infer, and potentially scare you. What they do well though is spot arterial tribulation.
The Apple Watch has been improving its health monitoring with each release, and I am considering one. However, my good old Fitzbit does a great job tracking my Cardiac activity, breaks it down into time spend in the various categories, provides constant pulse rate monitoring, etc. The online app that it syncs with presents some wonderful reports, monitors your weekly activity to keep you informed of your exoected targets for your age.

Certainly smart watches are a big growth sector for this technology, and things like fall monitor and remote alerts are going to be important for many people. Just pick something that gives you the data you need to keep track of, and usually doctors have opinions on what might be useful. Cardiologist certsinly do have opinions.You can buy your own finger clip on oxygen saturation device, they are on eBay and pretty cheap, a good investment in my opinion.
Old 23-10-2021, 07:10 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Glen very helpful indeed.
I still have not compared the readings on the watch and the blood pressure unit.
But I am very happy as rather than ignore this stuff like many old folk do I am going to get into it..If you think back to the time I passed out in Harvey Norman with the watch I probably would have known or some idea things were going downhill some 45minutes earlier even if the reading were not accurate I expect...the end of the world here very heavy rain small hail lightning...flash four seconds count..that is close...
Thanks for everything.
Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 07:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Wow under two seconds...and according to rain warning it has yet to hit.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2021-10-23-19-14-22-38_resize_53.jpg)
167.7 KB34 views
Old 23-10-2021, 07:33 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I've had an iWatch since September. I have NOTHING good to say about it.

Sits in a drawer. I wear an old Soviet air force self-winding watch instead - hasn't missed a beat in the 15 years I have worn it (wedding gift)
Old 23-10-2021, 07:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I've had an iWatch since September. I have NOTHING good to say about it.

Sits in a drawer. I wear an old Soviet air force self-winding watch instead - hasn't missed a beat in the 15 years I have worn it (wedding gift)
I have a wrist watch that will now go on my right arm and also a pocket watch but if I want the time I ask someone as it saves me lifting my arm or pulling the pocket watch out..in fact i don't need to know the time.as my carer drives me so she can keep an eye on the time...but really Lewis at your age I would wear it just to cover the falling down side of things

What was your main area of dislike?
Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 11:59 PM
AdamJL

I've had a variety of smart watches. A Garmin, a Microsoft Band 2, a Fitbit Ionic and am now using an Apple Watch S6.

I like the Apple one. Little things like Auspost integration are nice. I use it a lot to set timers when cooking. Siri's a bit of a dopey assistant, so she's good for that at least. The Watch does sleep tracking a bit weirdly; the Band 2 was the best at that.

I buy these things mainly for fitness though; weights and plyometric training (though my hip flexors are going, so maybe less plyo now) and they've all mostly been great.

My absolute favourite of the bunch was the Microsoft Band 2. I had 4 of them, because they all failed due to dodgy straps (a big and known issue) yet it was one of the best gadgets I've ever owned.
The screen, the fitness features, all way ahead of it's time, like a lot of Microsoft's products and failed because of that, and because of execution that fell flat (again, like a lot of Microsoft's products).

But anyway, I buy them for fitness. I'm going to take the Apple Watch out for a spin this week and try out the Apple Fitness app. There are some good plyo training sessions I saw on the Apple TV that I can link to.
Old 24-10-2021, 11:40 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have a wrist watch that will now go on my right arm and also a pocket watch but if I want the time I ask someone as it saves me lifting my arm or pulling the pocket watch out..in fact i don't need to know the time.as my carer drives me so she can keep an eye on the time...but really Lewis at your age I would wear it just to cover the falling down side of things

What was your main area of dislike?
Alex

Battery. Even with very few apps installed on it, from 100% to dead varies between a day to maybe 2 if lucky. The Garmin Vivoactive I have will go 3 weeks between charging. Apple said the battery was well within parameters. Yeah, just be abysmal parameters.

The supplied band is dreadful. Buy afternarket.

It came to the point I un-synced the thing from my iPhone and removed more apps. Didn't help. Put it back in its grossly oversized wanky box in a drawer.

I have gone off Apple a lot the last few months. My Samsung Galaxy S9 hand me down from the wife phone has been faultless - I cannot say the same about the new iPhoney SE2020 I bought...
Old 24-10-2021, 12:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Lewis.
The band I have certainly is useless..to take the watch off you have to lever up a dohicky which is just extrodinarily stupid.
I have compared the blood pressure on the watch with my "flash" $70 unit and close enough..but I will do this comparison another six times...but so far that is encouraging..if it only does that I will be happy.
Already I like that it buzzes when I get a message as for ehat ever reason my phone seems to go silent of its own choice...But being in the girls house that is lrobably a good thing.
But what is rather annoying, and I dont think I am causing this problem..although I would hope that it is indeed me and not the watch...you press the button for it to come on and nothing..zip..press until you are blue in the face..nothing...at the moment the way I fix it is take the watch off and charge it...but given it was charged only hours earlier and will show 100%charge one womders...the band I first thought was great as the first watch I bought needed two links taken out of the band and after I try it on it seems it needs yet another two..so a band that you can adjust was very welcome..I now think the good old leather band is the way to go.

Lewis put yours back in its box gift wrap it and give it to mmmm someone "special".
I could handle charging it daily...say plug it in when you go to bed.. already winding the pocket watch is a happy ritual...but this wont turn on is the pits.

Anyways I am going to work with it and it probably will teach me what to consider in next purchase...probably an hour glass.

Thanks for your input Lewis.
Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 12:49 PM
leon

Alex I have discussed this very idea with medical professionals and their opinion it is that it's not a good idea as they actually don't work very well.

Even the ones in the doctors rooms that are electronic and they just press a button are not as accurate as the old fashion Mercury Rising Machines.

Just my two cents worth Alex, however they may have other functions you might get some use out of.

Leon
Old 24-10-2021, 01:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for all that Leon.. first.. matey recons he hasn't received my money order and you can imagine all the strange things I am thinking.

I certainly don't expect a doctor to say they are accurate and I will do my comparisons which will tell me of they will fit what I want from it...
It just needs to turn on each time I push the button..got the band working so lets hope other faults ste also of my creation.
Alex
Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 01:59 PM
leon

matey recons he hasn't received my money order and you can imagine all the strange things I am thinking.

Yea I bet the mind is ticking over Alex, I will leave it at that mate.

Leon
Old 25-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

I haven't worn a watch for over 5 years. Sun comes up, sun goes down. Daylight saving has no influence. An advantage of living in the land that time forgot. Living quite a distance from town, I have a little portable BP cuff to check if I feel a bit squiffy, then I might let somebody know. Otherwise.......
Old 25-10-2021, 05:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
I haven't worn a watch for over 5 years. Sun comes up, sun goes down. Daylight saving has no influence. An advantage of living in the land that time forgot. Living quite a distance from town, I have a little portable BP cuff to check if I feel a bit squiffy, then I might let somebody know. Otherwise.......

Yep. I refer not to wear one. Got plenty as presents etc, all sitting in a drawer... should sell
Old 25-10-2021, 05:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I tested the iWatch again since this reminded me. Full slow charge overnight. This afternoon battery is dead. And that's sitting on my desk at home doing nothing. Yet Apple assures me it's in spec...yes, sure it is. If I paid for it, I'd care, but since I didn't, back in it's foot long box in a drawer...

Seriously unimpressed.
Old 26-10-2021, 07:00 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I tested the iWatch again since this reminded me. Full slow charge overnight. This afternoon battery is dead. And that's sitting on my desk at home doing nothing. Yet Apple assures me it's in spec...yes, sure it is. If I paid for it, I'd care, but since I didn't, back in it's foot long box in a drawer...

Seriously unimpressed.
I am not sure but it seems to me that the watch needs to be turned off and on...with emphasis on "turned off".

I find when the button is pressed in a secret way it shows a screen asking if you wish to turn off in effect and since I have been turning off I think the battery lasts longer......using this watch is guess work for me as the instructions on the paper in the box are in a print too small to comfortable read.

I did some more blood pressure comparisons and the watch is close enough so it seems useful but I eill krep testing.

It feels odd on my right arm and it looks strange but I am treating it as a tool for all the things un "clock" related and using my left arm for my wrist time piece.

The good news is my flash shirt arrived...I had forgotten about it and because of various emails was expecting an overcoat that I had ordered...so when I got the packet in my hands and realising it was clothing I thought that I had been duded as it must be the thinest overcoat ever...I was very happy to find it was my shirt.

So with confidence restored in net shopping this morning I ordered 400 metres of Telecom rope at $70 I dont know what I will do with it but at that price you could not let it get away.

Alex