Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 18-10-2021, 04:29 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
This thread has to have a mention of the Curies .. Marie (first and only woman to win the Nobel Prize twice) and Pierre.
Very good point Hans.

I was going to pick Marie Curie as my female nominee and in the male category Nikola Tesla and a bunch of others: Newton, Einstein, Euclid, Pythagoras, Archimedes, Leonardo da Vinci, etc... Actually looking at them all, with the exception of Leonardo they're all focused solely on scientific discovery and achievement, but scientific smarts is not the only game in town. There's arts, politics, business, music etc.....

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 18-10-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 18-10-2021, 04:33 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hedy Lamarr would be a good name for an entertainer who got no cred for the smarts...
Old 18-10-2021, 04:43 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post
Much of the development in the sciences is based on observation and fitting the math to the observational data. It takes a great mind to see something and develop a framework that fits the observations. It took an astute mind like Newton's to develop the equations to describe the motion of the planets. In fact he had to develop calculus to help him along.

But I'm going for Albert Einstein. He developed a theoretical framework for gravity before the observations that confirm it were made. When general relativity came out it was counter-intuitive to how we thought the universe worked. In fact, they had to devise experiments and do many further observations to see if this "crazy" theory would hold up. The bending of light by the Sun and galaxy clusters, gravitational lensing, time dilation, black holes, gravitational waves continue to confirm his theory.

Regards, Rob

I'll go for Einstein but his relativity ideas were helped by Lorentz.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation
Old 18-10-2021, 05:05 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hedy Lamarr would be a good name for an entertainer who got no cred for the smarts...
And also Hedley Lamarr for outsmarting Governor William J. Le Petomane.

Old 18-10-2021, 05:15 PM
anj026
Plyscope

Not many people are aware of Thomas Harriot. He is credited with observing the moon through a telescope and creating a drawing in July 1609, 4 months before Galileo. He has many other achievements in navigation and mathematics as well as astronomy. He worked on the early basis of continuous compounding. Something we take for granted these days with our super accounts. The vast majority of his work was unpublished. This may be due to the risk of persecution or unwanted attention by religious authorities and political factions.

https://mathshistory.st-andrews.ac.u...phies/Harriot/
Old 18-10-2021, 05:26 PM
anj026
Plyscope

Must not forget Katherine Johnson, NASA mathematician. A very smart lady.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/katheri...nson-biography
Old 18-10-2021, 05:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Not a bad list... very western bias... Ie a Jesus but no Budha and next to no females.

https://www.ranker.com/list/greatest.../walter-graves

Srinivasa Ramanujan and Ada Lovelace I would be adding in though...

Steve
Ps. But time dulls all things, even brilliance.

George Stephenson change the world, but he was neither the inventor or a genius.
Yes..like the man who made China ...see I cant even recall his name
But obviously he had a great team.

Alex
Old 18-10-2021, 08:06 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Very good point Hans.

I was going to pick Marie Curie as my female nominee and in the male category Nikola Tesla and a bunch of others: Newton, Einstein, Euclid, Pythagoras, Archimedes, Leonardo da Vinci, etc... Actually looking at them all, with the exception of Leonardo they're all focused solely on scientific discovery and achievement, but scientific smarts is not the only game in town. There's arts, politics, business, music etc.....

Best
JA
Da Vinci has to score high given he received no formal education and was essentially self taught having both a scientific and artistic mind. Of particular note is how he wrote his Codex Leicester.
Old 18-10-2021, 08:33 PM
IanT
Ian

Mustn’t forget Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Shakespeare, Dante, Van Gogh and loads of others whose talents were colossal and who have made more people awestruck in the face of their accomplishments than have any scientists.
Old 18-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

When I was at uni I had the amazing experience of a small group meeting with Gus Nossel. We were analysing the various steps of a particular immune reaction, involving a near endless chain of stimulatory and inhibitory factors. My head was spinning, losing track of a multitude of chemical interactions, but Sir Gus was easily across every detail and could clearly visualise all these molecules and enzymes dancing about. I remember thinking at the time that I was in the presence of the smartest person that I'd ever met. 40 years on, lots of clever and amazing people since, but I'm yet to change my mind.

In terms of people we've never met, I'm a bit surprised that no one as mentioned either Richard Feynman or Claude Shannon...
Old 19-10-2021, 05:30 AM
leon

I am not that good at remembering names but i reckon the Sheila that invented the Pop Rivet gets my vote.

Leon
Old 19-10-2021, 06:28 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
I am not that good at remembering names but i reckon the Sheila that invented the Pop Rivet gets my vote.

Leon
Her name was Ms Dyna Bond.

Old 19-10-2021, 08:17 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post
It took an astute mind like Newton's to develop the equations to describe the motion of the planets. In fact he had to develop calculus to help him along.
I think it was Kepler who first (correctly) described the motion of the planets. Newton developed and formalised concepts like inertia (what Kepler initially called “laziness” but couldn’t explain from a physics point of view) and acceleration.

Regarding calculus, I think both Newton and Leibniz approached this around about the same time, Newton from a physics/mechanics perspective and Leibniz out of pure mathematical necessity.

The d/dx notation is Leibniz’, the “dot over the x” sometimes seen in physics and engineering is Newton’s.
Old 19-10-2021, 08:23 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
This thread has to have a mention of the Curies .. Marie (first and only woman to win the Nobel Prize twice) and Pierre.
Indeed. Lise Meitner missed out when out of rampant sexism the Nobel Prize went to her assistant Otto Hahn. Despite dozens of nominations she was never awarded a Nobel Prize.
Old 19-10-2021, 09:16 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Indeed. Lise Meitner missed out when out of rampant sexism the Nobel Prize went to her assistant Otto Hahn. Despite dozens of nominations she was never awarded a Nobel Prize.
Unfortunately history has shown that women are the quiet achievers. Another name that springs to mind ... Caroline Herschel
Old 19-10-2021, 09:32 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is very comforting to be reminded of the many smart humans when one is confronted, via the net, with so many idiots...
AND I am happy that sexism, although still with us sadly, is less than it would seem to be in the past.
Alex
Old 19-10-2021, 11:47 AM
drylander (Peter)

Also no Australian of the year....they lose the plot once nominated.
Pete
Old 19-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I don’t know if there is a smartest person on the planet in our history , but one smart cookie that comes to mind was Dr Charles ‘Doc’ Draper who invented internal guidance and navigation at MIT in the late 50’s.Without this incredibly clever method of air and space navigation using gyroscopes and accelerometers we would never have reached the moon let alone returned safely.
Old 19-10-2021, 12:31 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi there, Charles Darwin deserves a mention I think.
Cheers, Richard.
Old 19-10-2021, 01:44 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Not yet born. The one who will find a solution to get out of the mess we're all headed for right now.