Old 24-09-2021, 08:14 PM
DavidLJ (David)

Host Mode

Recently I added a small Win10 computer to the telescope setup in my observatory. It is attached to the telescope tube and the intention is to use it via its wi-fi capability to remotely control the telescope mount, imaging camera, auto-guiding camera, etc. from the house located some 30 meters away. For simplicity, I'll refer to that computer here as “TC”.

Attached is a graphic showing TC and the other components of my home setup. TC can be directly controlled by use of a screen, keyboard and mouse but for the most part they are only used for the initial installation of background software such as SharpCap. In normal use they are disconnected and control of TC is exercised via wi-fi.

TC has two different wi-fi modes : AP and Host. So far I have used only the AP mode. In that mode, and after establishing a wi-fi connection to TC, the controlling device (desktop, laptop or iPad – but only one at a time) uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop software to display TC's desktop and thereafter to use all of the software loaded onto TC - mount control, imaging and autoguiding camera control, etc, etc. And this works very well. Should it be relevant, I should add that not only can I establish a direct wi-fi connection between the desktop and TC (in the same way that I can directly connect the laptop or iPad) but I can also establish an indirect connection of the desktop to TC via the ADSL modem/router unit to which the desktop is cable connected.

My question relates to TC's alternative Host wi-fi setting. The underlying problem is that while I'm reasonably confident as an end user of software and astro equipment I have no real understanding of electronics. So I have no idea what the Host setting does, how to use it and whether or not it would be of any use to me. Again should it be relevant, a few years ago I did try to use Night Skies Network to broadcast a live stream from my telescope (using TeamViewer as the link from the desktop to a laptop by the telescope) but gave up the attempt as my ADSL connection to the internet was not up to the job. We have recently been promised that a broadband service will be made available by the end of the year. That got me to wondering if somehow the Host wi-fi setting could then be useful.

I should be most grateful if someone could give me some pointers as to how I might make use of the Host wi-fi setting, hopefully using simple, non-technical language.

Thanks in advance
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Telescope Control.jpg)
145.8 KB32 views
Old 25-09-2021, 07:22 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Your only option is AP mode. In host mode, you would need to have the internet directly connected to the TC. If you do not need the Internet on the TC then Host mode could be used but is limited if you need timing access for external sync or a planetarium feature using connectivity.

My TC which is a Raspberry Pi is on AP mode all the time including when I go out. When I go to a remote location. I use my mobile as the host and the TC connects still using AP mode.

One of the confusing things is the terms AP and Host. I understand what you mean although never used those terms. They are usually reserve for the router but I suppose it can be used for a PC.
Old 26-09-2021, 12:26 AM
DavidLJ (David)

Thanks for your reply Malcolm. It is much appreciated.
I believe that AP stands for “access point”.
Old 27-09-2021, 05:01 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

I've experimented with both modes over time and quickly settled on the AP (access point) mode.
In my case the TC (Intel NUC) and the mount's SkyWatcher wifi adapter both join the in-shed router's Wifi hotspot when they power up. I have found this to be the most reliable and useful configuration as every device is then accessible on the LAN plus I still have Internet access.