Old 08-09-2021, 07:29 AM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Help with goto

Hi all, hoping someone can give any suggestions for my sw 10” goto.

I purchased in March and have never been able to get the goto function to work correctly. Alignment is apparently successful but when I choose an object to goto it never goes to the correct place. AZ is fairly close, alt is off - to the point I can be looking at said object with my eyes - but the scope looks for it below the horizon or tries pointing straight up.

I have it north, I have it flat (spirit level checked), I have had an experienced user check the coordinates are entered correctly and also use synscannit, I have disabled the auxillery encoders, I have tried two star and brightest star, my hand controller is updated (4.39.15). I have checked the power input on the hand controller. I have no idea what else to do. I have contacted Sky-Watcher snd are waiting for a response (they suggested the power, checked that and replied with all the issues).

Does anyone have any further ideas? I’m confident that the alt clutch is tight enough and not loose as I can track the planets without too much problem (recently did tighten az clutch as it was a bit fast and this has improved tracking). It is a truss dob with the clutches being a locknut under the covers. I can manually slew with the hand controller….it just can’t ‘goto’.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2021, 08:49 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Emma,

I have a 14inch Skywatcher goto and the steps I do from memory:

1) Ensure the scope is flat
2) Collimate the scope
3) 12volt battery is charged and connections stable to connect the cigarette plug
4) Ensure the clutch knobs are tensioned
5) Turn on the scope with the power switch
6) Enter latitude and longittude co-ordinates in hours and minutes.
7) Set Timezone
8) Elevation input
9) Enter Date and time - US format of MM/DD/YY.
10) Enter Daylight savings - yes or no
11) Begin Alignment - 1) yes
12) 2 Star Align - pick two stars in different regions
( Now I pick Alpha Centauri and you need to move the scope so that star is in the eyepiece) and then hit enter.
13) Pick the second star (currently I use Antares) and the scope should automatically slew to Antares. It will be a way off usually and you will need to get the scope to the point where the star is in the eyepiece of the scope.
Once the star is in the eyepiece hit enter and it should say alignment succesful.
14) Test the goto by using any of the messier/ngc/planet catalogues and pick an object - hit enter a few times to go to it. Once it does it should track the object.

If you need help doing it , ping me in iceinspace happy to help or happy to have a call.

Mel
Old 08-09-2021, 02:31 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Thanks for your reply Mel

I do all of that (except I plug direct into mains power and don’t have clutch knobs).

I have been using Alpha Centauri and Spica…are they far enough apart?

When you say ‘hit enter a few times’ do you mean it’s a few times to get to where it says ‘goto object’ or do you hit enter again once it’s tried to go to the chosen object? As in - goto, miss, hit enter again, miss, enter again? That won’t really be an option as I often have to cancel it because it’s trying to point down further than it can…

I’ve also compared the hand controller coordinates to sky guide and they match…so I’ve no idea why it’s missing targets so badly.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:36 PM
m11 (Mel)

As long as the battery has enough charge its ok. Its more in the cold I find some batteries cut out and I lose my power to the handset and motors.

Alpha Centauri is ok but I think Spica might be getting too low. Can you try using Antares as its higher in the sky?

I mean hit enter a few times to goto the object you have chosen.

It sounds to me its got the wrong information in the handset if it goes straight down or up.

In regards to the co-ordinates its got S and not N to confirm? I would check all your settings after alignment to confirm they are set correctly.

The other option is to try with another synscan handset to test if its faulty as the motors sound they are working ok?

Mel
Old 08-09-2021, 06:57 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Is it a Dobsonian that you a referring to?
Is it brand new or second hand?
Only reason i am asking is that i have had the exact same issue with a 10" Skywatcher goto Dobsonian from new.
For me it was a faulty unit, I had the dealer send it to Tasco for a warranty job and they fixed it right away.
I might be looking at things a bit the wrong way here, but it just sounds like the same exact issue i had with mine from new.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:06 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Bluesilver - interesting! It’s not second hand but it was a display model. I bought it in March. I’ve been emailing Skywatcher….response is a little slow but hoping they will get on it. Just thought I would ask here in case someone had another suggestion I hadn’t tried.

Mel - Im in WA - Spica is probably around the same alt as Alpha Centauri when I’m aligning…is that still to low? Will try Antares as well though…although pretty sure I’ve tried Arcturus as well. I’ve checked and double checked the coordinates. Will look at them again after alignment next time (once the clouds clear…🙄&#128556
Old 09-09-2021, 05:05 AM
Malcolm

I found the handset to be clunky and a PITA to use. I use a SynScan WiFi dongle, the free SynScan app and SkySafari 6 Pro to run my three Goto dobs. I read somewhere that one handset version was buggy and users were rolling back to another version. Using WiFi there's no need to enter any data, the phone GPS does it all. Works on iOS now on a single device if that's your device type. I use SkySafari 6 Plus on an iPad and the Pro version on an Android.
Power supply should be minimum 2A, and 5A is better and a 13.8v output is better still. I use an SCA 4cyl jumper pack in the field for my dobs and a 240v-13.8v 12A transformer at home. I don't use cig lighter sockets and plugs, Jaycar bullet plugs give a better connection.

I suspect it's a handset fault and you're really better off going WiFi so you're not tied to a handset. Also, fit Bunnings leveling feet with timber spike nuts to the groundboard and a bullseye spirit level in front of the azimuth motor. Screw three 19mm thick hardwood blocks to the groundboard to accept the leveling feet threads. That way the feet threads will not go right through the groundboard. Put a bit of electrical tape on the drill bit as a depth gauge. :-)
Old 09-09-2021, 07:57 AM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Hi Emma,

Welcome to IIS. Lots of really helpful people on here so hopefully you can soon be up and running.

Not too sure which Skywatcher go to you have, but you mention in your first post that you point it North. I may be barking up entirely the wrong tree (my name totally accurately describes my astronomy proficiency) but with my Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro I have to align it with the Southern Celestrial Pole, a consequence of living in the Southern Hemisphere.

Hope this helps as I know well from experience how frustrating getting go to and tracking was when I first started.

Calvin
Old 09-09-2021, 08:25 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Emma,

Yah fair enough, I found the alignment stars need to be around ~40 degrees above the horizon to provide a good reference.

Does it say Alignment successful after going through the routine? Does the settings look right when checking after the alignment on the handset?

Based on what you saying is occurring. I reckon try with a different handset or as Malcolm has suggested to test with the Synscan wifi dongle.

I did have a Synscan v3 handset I would have sent to you for no cost but I gave it away to another person.

Not sure if you can find someone local who would be kind enough to lend the handset to test or get Skywatcher to give you one? A Synscan handset v4 costs around $220 so preferable to borrow and see if that fixes the goto issue you have.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:04 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

I have just pulled the manual out again and have noticed something I haven’t noticed before. Under ‘initial setup’ step 1 is making sure the mount is level (done)…but step 2 is to point to the brightest star to your naked eye. Then it goes through entering latitude etc into handset and then onto alignment! So from this - I’m guessing perhaps it doesn’t start at north OR south. A few rainy days expected here but I will be trying this out!
Old 09-09-2021, 08:23 PM
m11 (Mel)

As mentioned, I would check your settings ie 37° S , 145 E which is for Melbourne. You will need to enter for Perth and confirm the settings are correct. The alignment should say alignment successful.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:44 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Thanks Mel, yes I have definitely done this and also use synscannit to double check.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:48 PM
AdamJL

Silly question, but how are you entering the coordinates? -33 and S for South or 33 and S for South?
If it's trying to go below the horizon, it might think it's in the wrong hemisphere.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:54 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissE_40 View Post
Thanks Mel, yes I have definitely done this and also use synscannit to double check.

Ok - so it does say alignment successful?
A hint that you may have the wrong info like date/time/location is the available alignment stars available. If you get Sirius then the info entered is off for example.

Probably worth testing with another handset if possible?
Old 09-09-2021, 09:10 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Mel - are you happy for me to message you? I can send the photos of my settings to be sure…
Old 09-09-2021, 09:14 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Adam…I have 32…should it be -32??
Old 09-09-2021, 09:15 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Mel…yes it says alignment successful
Old 09-09-2021, 09:22 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Emma,

Apologies If I am asking questions that you have already done.

Happy if you want to message.

Mel
Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 PM
MissE_40 (Emma)

Mel…I have no idea if my messages are going through or how to send a photo…
Old 10-09-2021, 08:16 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Emma,

Got the messages but no attachments.

I have sent my email details if that makes it easier and phone info.