Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-08-2021, 10:21 PM
Startrek (Martin)

NINA Polar Alignment Routine

I just watched a few YouTube clips on the latest NINA polar alignment routine where you don’t require a view of the pole
It uses plate solving to identify 3 alignment stars in which to perform Star centering via Altitude and Azimuthal iterations to reduce your error down to acceptable polar alignment
This so called new alternative method of polar alignment by NINA is suppose to be a game changer for people who have no view of the Pole

A lot of folk are probably not aware but Synta ( Skywatcher, Orion etc... ) originally developed this type of polar alignment routine with their Syncan hand controllers approximately 15 years ago
I’ve been using the Syncan Polar Alignment Routine for 5 years ( V3 and V4 ) as I have no view of the Pole
I can usually be polar aligned in 5 to 10 minutes below an arc minute using 2 to 3 iterations.Like everything the more you use it the quicker it becomes.

So the NINA PA routine whilst being an excellent method to polar align without a view of the pole , certainly isn’t a “new” alternative method , it’s probably taken the principles of the original Syncan method and some added plate solving

Comments welcome
Old 22-08-2021, 10:44 PM
AdamJL

Hi Martin

I’m not sure who’s saying it’s a new method, it’s just new to NINA (the previous in-built routine was sketchy at best)

I’ve given it a go and it’s as accurate as my Polemaster which says a lot because that thing is very very accurate.

I will likely use it occasionally for those times when the south is obscured by clouds and I want to setup quickly but whilst I have the PM I’ll stick to that for now (though one less device and cable is good too!!)

It was briefly discussed in the NINA thread as well btw

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...84#post1527884
Old 23-08-2021, 10:37 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

i'm looking forward to trying it - i've always used the hand controller but been meaning to go full pc for a while now.
Old 23-08-2021, 11:17 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
i'm looking forward to trying it - i've always used the hand controller but been meaning to go full pc for a while now.
With Syncsan I use the handcontroller but use BYEOS on my PC ( not looking through an eye piece which is not accurate enough )
I use BYEOS with my DSLR on the polar alignment feature reticle screen ( live view on BYEOS with my DSLR is instant no buffering or time lag like with my cooled Astro camera 2600MC using APT ) plus the zoom box is really accurate too with good resolution. I can defocus the Star into a donut for precision star alignment centering
My PC is 1.5m from the mount so a good view when adjusting Az and Alt bolts
Normally I can get the error down to below an arc minute within 2 or 3 iterations ( sometimes as low as 0.30 to 0.50 arc min )
So it’s similar to NINA but only using 2 stars ( one alignment star and a second alignment star which is your PA star as well )

My original point was that Synscan has been around for a long long time , 15 years or so ( you can use it with a PC with your favourite PA alignment software like I do with BYEOS )

NINA may have just piggy backed the idea from the principals of the Synscan routine, maybe who knows ?
Old 23-08-2021, 11:30 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
With Syncsan I use the handcontroller but use BYEOS on my PC ( not looking through an eye piece which is not accurate enough )
I use BYEOS with my DSLR on the polar alignment feature reticle screen ( live view on BYEOS with my DSLR is instant no buffering or time lag like with my cooled Astro camera 2600MC using APT ) plus the zoom box is really accurate too with good resolution. I can defocus the Star into a donut for precision star alignment centering
My PC is 1.5m from the mount so a good view when adjusting Az and Alt bolts
Normally I can get the error down to below an arc minute within 2 or 3 iterations ( sometimes as low as 0.30 to 0.50 arc min )
So it’s similar to NINA but only using 2 stars ( one alignment star and a second alignment star which is your PA star as well )

My original point was that Synscan has been around for a long long time , 15 years or so ( you can use it with a PC with your favourite PA alignment software like I do with BYEOS )

NINA may have just piggy backed the idea from the principals of the Synscan routine, maybe who knows ?
I forgot to mention that I bought a longer curly cord ( 1.5m ) for my hand controller so I can sit at my little Laptop table and do Star centering with the hand controller. Very easy and comfortable
Longer curly cords available from www.curlycords.com.au in Brisbane
Cheers
Old 23-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Huge benefit using NINA is getting rid of the hand controller all together.
I haven't used it since the start of this year.
Good riddance in my opinion.
But everyone to their own.

You could have said the same about plate solving.
Other programs have used it for years, like SGP, APT to name a few.
I haven't seen you post something about that yet.
Old 23-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
Huge benefit using NINA is getting rid of the hand controller all together.
I haven't used it since the start of this year.
Good riddance in my opinion.
But everyone to their own.

You could have said the same about plate solving.
Other programs have used it for years, like SGP, APT to name a few.
I haven't seen you post something about that yet.
I only use the HC for PA so in Sydney my rig is set up for weeks and weeks in the yard with a WP cover , HC only used for 10 minutes or so for PA then unplugged and packed away
Down the coast I have my Obs , same deal, use HC for 10 mins or so , then unplugged and packed away , I usually check my PA every 3 months in the Obs

So doesn’t really worry using the HC , bit of fun , some folk hate them
My visual scope , 12” Goto dob has a HC , again doesn’t really worry me

I don’t use plate solving , I use EQMOD with Stellarium ( alignment point modeling ) find objects pretty quickly and framed up ready for imaging in a few minutes
Each to their own , it’s great we have some many options in the hobby , caters for everyone’s personal choices , dislikes and likes
Cheers