Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 25-10-2021, 01:23 PM
TMTYL (Dennis)

#82a light blue filter - Jack of all trades?

After reading a little about how filters can enhance viewing, I've decided to dive into getting the 82a. Can someone recommend a place to source a 1.25 piece that won't charge astrological prices? I'm in Sydney. Thanks.
Old 25-10-2021, 02:59 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Dennis,

Have you read the presentation notes from the presentation I gave on Filters at the Ice In Space AstroCamp 10 years ago?

Here is a link if you haven't read it.. You can download the PDF from this link. The planetary filters section is right at the end.

Can I ask why you have chosen 82A, what other filters you already have and what details you are trying to enhance? If you don't have any other filters that probably wouldn't be my first choice, unless it's for a specific purpose.

Cheers
John B
Old 25-10-2021, 04:52 PM
TMTYL (Dennis)

Thanks Aus.. Will certainly look into your presentation. What intrigued me was a YouTube video that mentioned that the 80a and 82a were basically filters that cover a lot of aspects in bringing out detail on planets and moon, he used the term jack of trades implying that if one was to buy just one filter then those are great options. I'm obviously naive and didn't look into alternatives or something better for my purpose. I really need to educate myself before making a purchase.
Old 25-10-2021, 06:10 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

I've got #82A (and heaps of other colour filters as well) - used it for Jupiter. It works, but if you want the Jack of all trades I would highly recommend Baader Contrast Booster. It's works very well on Jupiter, Mars and Moon. You don't really need any for Saturn, however Baader Contrast Booster would work as well. Baader Contrast Booster is the only filter you need for planets and Moon. Just save some money on buying colour filters and get CB instead.