Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-10-2021, 12:08 AM
nPAE (Dave)

nPAE World Champion Astrophotographer 2021 Public Vote

This is it people! It’s time to decide who the nPAE World Champion Astro Photographer 2021 is…

Will you choose the reigning champion, Boris from Chile with his “Grito Galactico” photo? Or maybe Lorand from Hungary who won the Northern Hemisphere this year with his amazing Andromeda shot, or perhaps you’ll vote for the Southern Hemisphere winner by Hugo from Argentina with his incredible all-seeing eye Helix nebula image!

You decide at this link. Voting closes at midnight on Sunday 24th October.

https://www.npae.net/world-champion-2021/
Old 19-10-2021, 03:19 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

I actually submitted my photo into nPAE :

https://www.npae.net/southern-hemisp...1-public-vote/

Mine’s the Eagle Nebula. When I shared the votes to my friends, they identified a flaw in the voting system that if your browser is in Incognito mode you can keep voting forever repeatedly which will naturally artificially inflate the number of votes.

@Nikolas, I gather yours is the other Australian pix, Dragons of Ara.
Old 19-10-2021, 10:35 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Mine’s the Eagle Nebula. When I shared the votes to my friends, they identified a flaw in the voting system that if your browser is in Incognito mode you can keep voting forever repeatedly which will naturally artificially inflate the number of votes.

Yep it was and it is a true Southern image.
The voting was one thing but that helix was rubbish compared to efforts I've seen from others, the second and third prizes rang rings round that helix image.
Old 19-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Your eagles is stunning
Old 19-10-2021, 04:50 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Cheers, I rarely submit into competitions. Just doing it for fun. Your Dragons of Ara was very beautifully captured and processed too!

Anyhow, irrespective of our pix, I am hoping that the final decisions for the 24th Oct aren't based on the public anonymous votes as per the OP's link. What I was trying to convey in my post was that, that type of voting is technically flawed. It is based on Web browser cookies to indicate that you have already voted, and you can't vote again.

However it is easily bypassed by visiting that site in Icognito mode, or using Firefox Focus, or Ghostery Dawn Ghost mode browsers - which would still allow you to vote over and over and over again which will artificially inflate the voting figures.

So some bright spark could write a script that'll visit that site without browser cookies and lodge his/her vote in a continuous loop, which would botch the voting figures.