Old 07-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Jamesacrux (James)

Secondary screws

What can I use to replace secondary mirror collimating screws on a 10 inch collapsible skywatcher dobsonian

James
Old 07-09-2021, 06:18 PM
astro744

Welcome!

Try Bobs Knobs. See http://www.bobsknobs.com/Newt/page66/SWdob.html

(You could ask Bintel but I’m not sure if they have them in stock or can get them for you).
Old 07-09-2021, 07:03 PM
Jamesacrux (James)

Thank you

James
Old 12-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Bob's Knobs were developed for Tom Johnson's Schmidt-Cassegrains, and to keep them pretty, aesthetic. I get these from my local hardware, and for my Newtonians rather...

Click image for larger version

Name:	secondary hub screws5c.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	280670

The socket-cap screws can be a mile long, as long as they don't flex and sway into the light-path. They can also be had in stainless-steel.
Old 13-09-2021, 08:36 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Last year I purchased 5 stainless steel knurled thumb screws M4 or M3 (can’t remember thread size) for my 10”SW on eBay for about $5 posted, They work fine . If you remove one and check with your local hardware shop you can determine M4 or M3 , or someone here may know.
Regards philip
Old 13-09-2021, 09:58 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

As others have alluded to, M4 bolts from a hardware store, and any sort of knob which accepts an M4 thread will do the trick. I bought three small furniture knobs from Bunnings, (make sure they're small!) added the threads with a bit of Locktite glue, and they're perfect - you can easily adjust them by hand without the need for allen keys, etc.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:03 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ash View Post
Last year I purchased 5 stainless steel knurled thumb screws M4 or M3 (can’t remember thread size) for my 10”SW on eBay for about $5 posted, They work fine . If you remove one and check with your local hardware shop you can determine M4 or M3 , or someone here may know.
Regards philip
Here’s a picture of the above thumb screws, total cost including postage was $5 for 5 screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ECDF53B4-A445-4159-84A1-5D4A313F5F34.jpg)
204.5 KB50 views
Old 20-09-2021, 11:26 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ash View Post
Here’s a picture of the above thumb screws, total cost including postage was $5 for 5 screws.

That's the easiest and cheapest way to do it and you end up with the same result if not better. Bob's knobs are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

I replaced my secondary collimation screws on my 10" GSO dob with 304 grade stainless thumb screws about 15 years ago. I can't remember what length they were, but I remember they needed to be quite long to go right through the secondary holder and have enough length remaining to leave full adjustment of the secondary. They are definitely 4mm x .7mm pitch and I think they needed to be either 40mm or 50mm long. Measure the depth of the secondary holder and add about 15mm to give sufficient travel both sides of the holder. I also replaced the primary collimation screws on the GSO mirror cell with stronger stainless steel springs and 7mm metric thumb screws. I think they use a different primary collimation set up on the more recent manufacture scopes.

Cheers
John B