Old 12-11-2021, 06:27 PM
Cynicide (Anthony)

NGC3372 - Carina Nebula

Click image for larger version

Name:	Take-1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	283518

First go at some astrophotography. Just a quick session from a nice spot near my house. Looking forward to improving my settings and technique.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-G7 m43
Lens: 25mm (50mm full frame) f2.0
ISO: 1600
Exposures: 10 exposures for 10 seconds each stacked in Sequator and contrast balanced in Lightroom. In camera noise reduction enabled.

Last edited by Cynicide; 14-11-2021 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Updating method
Old 12-11-2021, 08:09 PM
Tony Leece

Excellent first go Anthony, onwards and upwards mate
Old 12-11-2021, 10:40 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Good start Anthony, it's an interesting journey you'll be undertaking from this point and there'll be lots to learn. Did you take this with your camera attached to your telescope? Without tracking, you will be limited to stacking many short exposures. I'm not sure how long each of your 10 sub-exposures were but if you were to do at least 100 of these, you would notice a huge difference after stacking. I'm sure you'll be giving it another go when this wet weather passes and we will be interested in following your progress.
Old 13-11-2021, 12:09 AM
Cynicide (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Good start Anthony, it's an interesting journey you'll be undertaking from this point and there'll be lots to learn. Did you take this with your camera attached to your telescope? Without tracking, you will be limited to stacking many short exposures. I'm not sure how long each of your 10 sub-exposures were but if you were to do at least 100 of these, you would notice a huge difference after stacking. I'm sure you'll be giving it another go when this wet weather passes and we will be interested in following your progress.
This was without tracking and no telescope in a fairly light polluted area. I just have a cheap $40 tripod that I just mounted the camera to. 10 second exposures at f2.0 lens equivalent of a 50mm full frame lens. The full photo contains the ground as well but I cropped it out as an astrophotography subreddit I'm on has rules like not posting things below the Kármán line and I wasn't sure if that was the case here.

I'm keen to do more exposures before stacking but I want to get an intervalometer so I don't have to keep count in my head.
Old 13-11-2021, 01:14 AM
raymo

It is customary to post the capture details so that members can make
informed comments and/or help you improve your pics. For example what
ISO did you use? around 800 is a good starting point. It would help you if
you find out what your camera's sweet spot is. The majority of DSLRs are in the 800-1600 range. Are you taking darks? If for some reason you are not,
then at least enable in camera noise reduction; it will double your imaging time, but make a great improvement to your pics.
raymo
Old 13-11-2021, 03:54 PM
neurosis3000 (Reggie)

Very nice start to astrophotography
Old 13-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicide View Post
This was without tracking and no telescope in a fairly light polluted area. I just have a cheap $40 tripod that I just mounted the camera to. 10 second exposures at f2.0 lens equivalent of a 50mm full frame lens. The full photo contains the ground as well but I cropped it out as an astrophotography subreddit I'm on has rules like not posting things below the Kármán line and I wasn't sure if that was the case here.

I'm keen to do more exposures before stacking but I want to get an intervalometer so I don't have to keep count in my head.
You're on the money with your 10 second subs using the 500 rule, just shoot a lot more. You can get intervalometers for around $20 on eBay for almost any camera. If you want to leave your foreground in without cropping, you can always post them in the Nightscape section of this forum. If you'd like to increase your exposures, look around to buying a small tracker that will mount on your tripod, this will open up possibilities of introducing longer focal length lenses.

PS. Just realised you are using a 25mm lens, so you could increase your exposure to 20 seconds and still maintain round stars.

Last edited by Mickoid; 13-11-2021 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 14-11-2021, 10:18 PM
Cynicide (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
It is customary to post the capture details so that members can make
informed comments and/or help you improve your pics. For example what
ISO did you use? around 800 is a good starting point. It would help you if
you find out what your camera's sweet spot is. The majority of DSLRs are in the 800-1600 range. Are you taking darks? If for some reason you are not,
then at least enable in camera noise reduction; it will double your imaging time, but make a great improvement to your pics.
raymo
Apologies. I've added more information.
Old 14-11-2021, 11:35 PM
raymo

No need to apologise, just informing you. Your stars look pretty round, so you could probably go a little longer, maybe 13- 15secs, and lots
more subs.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 14-11-2021 at 11:40 PM. Reason: more text