Old 17-08-2021, 08:57 PM
EvolutionaryPS (Paul)

Synscan Pro dropping connection

Hi I've just got a skywatcher goto dobsonian I'm using Synscan pro with Stellarium but I keep dropping the connection, any suggestions how to resolve on a Samsung phone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18-08-2021, 06:56 AM
Startrek (Martin)

My advice for the interim , just use your handcontroller to find objects in the sky , master that first and then think about remote wifi control from a phone , it’s a bit complicated and the Syncan wifi dongle has had inherent issues especially from phones
You can use Stellarium to visually locate objects where they should be in the sky then use your hand controller to find that object in that location
Others may offer more advice but for the interim that’s what I would do
Also Stellarium is limited to certain telescope mounts using plug ins , not sure about a Skywatcher AZ Alt
Cheers
Martin
Old 18-08-2021, 07:29 AM
Startrek (Martin)

If your still adamant on using your phone to control the scope
Here’s a link
https://www.stellarium-labs.com/tele...m-mobile-plus/

This is a 3rd party company in China ( they are NOT related to the official Stellarium )

Personally I’d just use the handcontroller ( it’s a no brainer and works fine ) , you can’t look at star centering and centering objects while looking at your phone at the same time through the eye piece
Good luck !!
Old 18-08-2021, 09:01 AM
EvolutionaryPS (Paul)

Thanks I don't have a hand controller. It's sycscan wifi enabled no dongle required. Perhaps a hand controller would be a solution. I had great success just with Sycscan on its own the first night, but was extending to use stellarium to select objects of interest that I know are in my restricted view rather than names I'm only coming up to speed on and don't know if the are visible to me.

Last edited by EvolutionaryPS; 18-08-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 18-08-2021, 09:07 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionaryPS View Post
Thanks I don't have a hand controller. Maybe that is what I need. But with restricted sky views I need to know that what I slew to is visible to me so like using stellarium to select what I'll observe.
For visual you just need the handcontroller ( it leaves your eyes free for Star centering and object centering etc.. remote control of the telescope is more for Astrophotography down the track

If you hired the scope get he supplier or hirer to send you a Syncan hand controller V3 or V4
Old 18-08-2021, 01:13 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I never had a lot of success using Stellarium, admittedly this was with cords and into a laptop. I moved to Synscan on my Samsung phone with a wifi dongle and connect it to SkySafari on my Samsung tablet, and the issues have greatly reduced. There may be a setting in the phone which attempts to connect with other nearby wifi signals, causing you to drop out. Sometimes it still disconnects for no apparent reason, although I recently discovered that microwave ovens can disrupt a wifi signal - maybe if someone is using the microwave nearby it's stuffing you up? Bit of a long-shot, sorry. I would also add that I never got Synscan Pro and SkySafari to work properly on the same device.
Old 19-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Malcolm

The solution I have found (works for me) to prevent drop-outs is to turn off the home wifi as it may be a better signal and the phone tries to connect to it instead of the SynScan, also turning off the mobile data helps as well. You can also try changing the wifi channel in the app, I think that's doable. SynScan Pro and SkySafari now work on the same device (iOs). Select SynScan Link in the scope setup menu in SkySafari. Selecting Connect in SS opens the SynScan app for alignment.
Old 19-08-2021, 12:09 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

As per the previous two posters.

Your phone will most likely give preference to any network that has internet and will drop the skywatcher wifi if it can sense your home network for example.

You can turn off auto-reconnect in the wifi settings to prevent this happening, but remember to turn it back on to prevent chomping through your data plan accidentally!

The same is true for ASIAir users.

Needless to say, if you are in the middle of nowhere away from home and it is still happening, then this is not your issue