Old 02-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Azza449 (Aaron)

Research project

Hey fellow astronomers,

I am not sure if this is allowed on here or not, so I apologise if this is not and can remove it. However, if this is allowed, I am conducting research at Federation University for my thesis and thought this may be a good place to post. I would really appreciate if you would be willing to have a read and fill it out.

Researchers at Federation University are seeking participants to participate in a research project investigating the relationship between sleep disorders, depressive symptoms, and cardiovascular risk. We are looking for both Australian men and woman aged 40 years or older to complete an approximately 20-minute survey. If you are interested in participating, please click the link below. The ethics reference number is 2022-114. Feel free to share with your friends!
https://federation.syd1.qualtrics.co...M5KLdbLryVk5BI
Old 02-08-2022, 04:03 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Well, I get depressed when it is cloudy for weeks, sleep deprived when its a clear night and chest pains when setting up a telescope and mount, so I'm in.

Chris
Old 02-08-2022, 04:16 PM
Azza449 (Aaron)

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate it! I am sorry to hear that you have those issues though!
Old 02-08-2022, 04:31 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza449 View Post
Thanks Chris, I really appreciate it! I am sorry to hear that you have those issues though!
I'm joking... sometimes it takes 2 or 3 clear nights in a row before I get sleep deprived.

Survey done.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:34 PM
Azza449 (Aaron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I'm joking... sometimes it takes 2 or 3 clear nights in a row before I get sleep deprived.

Survey done.
What a demanding hobby we have on our bodies hey

Legend, thankyou
Old 03-08-2022, 11:21 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I can't add much in relation to sleep disorders, but I do know that shift work (the dreaded Night Shift) has a considerable amount of research showing the impacts on the body, including the cardiovascular system, and how it can give rise to sleep disorders. Much of the research looks at personnel in the emergency services (police, ambulance paramedics) and associated fields - nursing, for example - and how the impact of sleep deprivation and dependence upon stimulants such as caffeine can reduce the quality of sleep after the shift is over.

It may be going off at a bit of a tangent to your thesis, but the field could also yield some information that may be of use to you.

Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:43 AM
Azza449 (Aaron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
I can't add much in relation to sleep disorders, but I do know that shift work (the dreaded Night Shift) has a considerable amount of research showing the impacts on the body, including the cardiovascular system, and how it can give rise to sleep disorders. Much of the research looks at personnel in the emergency services (police, ambulance paramedics) and associated fields - nursing, for example - and how the impact of sleep deprivation and dependence upon stimulants such as caffeine can reduce the quality of sleep after the shift is over.

It may be going off at a bit of a tangent to your thesis, but the field could also yield some information that may be of use to you.

Just a thought.
Thankyou for that input Warren. That is very interesting and I definitely may be able to find some research around that, as well as sleep disorders to discuss for the implications of my study.