Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2022, 07:44 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

The Arrow Cluster

G'day mates. Just want to hear your opinions on this wonderous open cluster in Crux, NGC 4103 "The Arrow Cluster". It is an amazing sight and really does look like an arrow! Have you observed it before? Let us know what your observations have been like observing this southern original!

Joe
Old 14-03-2022, 02:27 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Joe,

These are my observing notes using 25cm nearly 30 years ago:

NGC 4103 OC Crux
25cm x86: Quite an attractive little grouping of stars magnitude 10 down, perhaps 60 - 70 stars. Rich and well detached. String of stars leading away from the cluster to the W with some stars near centre forming an arrowhead type asterism at the top of the string. Lots of curved lines and sprays with darker zones near centre. 8 - 9' diameter.

Best,

L.
Old 14-03-2022, 08:27 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Joe,

These are my observing notes using 25cm nearly 30 years ago:

NGC 4103 OC Crux
25cm x86: Quite an attractive little grouping of stars magnitude 10 down, perhaps 60 - 70 stars. Rich and well detached. String of stars leading away from the cluster to the W with some stars near centre forming an arrowhead type asterism at the top of the string. Lots of curved lines and sprays with darker zones near centre. 8 - 9' diameter.

Best,

L.
Hi Les. Your notes describe this object very well! Thanks.

Joe
Old 09-05-2022, 06:42 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Joe,

Yes, an interesting and visually appealing open cluster. I have viewed previously through my 140mm refractor.

Here is an update from my observing logs - an EAA observation last night, as part of an EAA tour through Crux. The arrow asterism stands out clearly.

SharpCap live stack through Vixen ED103S and ASI385 camera: 60 X 2 second subs, total exposure 120 seconds and gain 300. No post processing.

Crux has a number of interesting open clusters that are often overlooked. Most people seem to be entranced by the Jewel Box and then move onto other constellations. NGC4609, peering through the Coal Sack is another interesting small open cluster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC4103_2022-05-08_ED103S_ASI385_Stack_subs2.0s_frames60_exposure120s_Gain300.jpg)
40.0 KB34 views
Old 09-05-2022, 10:19 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post

Crux has a number of interesting open clusters that are often overlooked. Most people seem to be entranced by the Jewel Box and then move onto other constellations. NGC4609, peering through the Coal Sack is another interesting small open cluster.

You're spot on Steve. There are a number of very delicate little OC's littered around Crux (and even inside it), and between Crux and Carina. I've been doing a bit of binocular work around these areas lately and there are a terrific number of open clusters in this area other than the Jewel Box, Gem, Pearl and Wishing Well.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:09 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Right on Patrick and Steve! Another delicate open cluster in Crux is NGC 4439, it is shaped like the Euro symbol