Old 09-08-2022, 10:08 AM
Greggles (Gregory)

First Images with SV405CC

Hi All,

here are my first images with the new svbony sv405cc. unfortunately was a bit of a rocky start with some driver issues (which have now been fixed) full moon for the eagle nebula image and bad tracking and pinched optics for the omega nebula.. BUT with the current weather i was pretty desperate to get imaging and see what teh camera could do as who knows when ill be able to get out again.

equipment:
GSO/Bintel 10" dobsonian
diy eq platform
sv405cc
baader neodymium sky glow filter

Software:
sharpcap
siril
photoshop

Eagle Nebula
- 600x 10s exposures stacked in DSS
- gain 394
- Black level 35
- 33 darks (settings same as lights)
- 70 flats (same gain as lights, exposure dropped to 16ms for Histogram peak about 60%)
- 70 dark flats as per above.
Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle nebula SIRIL Tutorial ps copy 16.07.22.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	294168

Omega nebula
- 650x 10s exposures stacked in DSS
- gain 406
- Black level 35
- 33 darks (settings same as lights)
- 70 flats (same gain as lights, exposure dropped to 16ms for Histogram peak about 60%)
- 70 dark flats as per above.
Click image for larger version

Name:	omega dss 2 sec flats pp siril ps 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	294169
Old 09-08-2022, 01:17 PM
Dave882 (David)

Great shots and well done getting some lovely colour and detail out of the dob!! Looking at the stars in your corners may suggest you need a bit more backspacing in your image train. Should tighten those stars up a bit.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:41 PM
Greggles (Gregory)

Thanks Dave.

Backspacing between what exactly could help me with those stars? I'm not using a focal reducer or field flattener or anything btw.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 09-08-2022, 03:21 PM
Dave882 (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggles View Post
Thanks Dave.

Backspacing between what exactly could help me with those stars? I'm not using a focal reducer or field flattener or anything btw.

Cheers,

Greg
Sorry mate my bad I misread -yes would need a coma corrector first. Even though what you are doing is effectively EAA with some post processing you’re getting really nice results and I reckon if you catch the bug for imaging it might be worth picking up a mpcc or similar- there’s a couple of them secondhand at the moment. Pretty affordable for a big improvement to your images.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:59 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Apart from the field and star shape issues which will be easily rectified two superb shots. You've nailed the colors. Well done.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:11 PM
Greggles (Gregory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Sorry mate my bad I misread -yes would need a coma corrector first. Even though what you are doing is effectively EAA with some post processing you’re getting really nice results and I reckon if you catch the bug for imaging it might be worth picking up a mpcc or similar- there’s a couple of them secondhand at the moment. Pretty affordable for a big improvement to your images.
Thanks mate, very tempting, may shoot a message to those sellers on market place. Would love a focal reducer with coma correction like the starizona nexus but wow they are expensive!
Old 09-08-2022, 04:13 PM
Greggles (Gregory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Apart from the field and star shape issues which will be easily rectified two superb shots. You've nailed the colors. Well done.
Thanks mate, Siril definitely helps with getting colours right. only started using it with the new camera as i was having trouble with the green hue.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:36 PM
ahmed_haider (Ahmed)
Resplendent_southern_sky

Hey mate nice images! Well done with the processing.
I have a GSO coma corrector you can borrow if you want to try it out, I live in Sydney too.
The only problem I had with the GSO coma corrector was that since my scope is an F4 the focal plane is farther out so I needed to add spacers between the focuser and CC. AND with the coma corrector itself needing 75mm of backspacing between it and the camera I got weird stars on one of the corners because of all the spacers adding a bit of tilt. But you are on F5 it should be better for you. I got a baader coma corrector recently so the GSO coma corrector is extra for me.
Let me know if you're interested
Cheers
Old 11-08-2022, 10:35 AM
Greggles (Gregory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed_haider View Post
Hey mate nice images! Well done with the processing.
I have a GSO coma corrector you can borrow if you want to try it out, I live in Sydney too.
The only problem I had with the GSO coma corrector was that since my scope is an F4 the focal plane is farther out so I needed to add spacers between the focuser and CC. AND with the coma corrector itself needing 75mm of backspacing between it and the camera I got weird stars on one of the corners because of all the spacers adding a bit of tilt. But you are on F5 it should be better for you. I got a baader coma corrector recently so the GSO coma corrector is extra for me.
Let me know if you're interested
Cheers
Thanks Ahmed, i just may need to take you up on that. been looking at the GSO coma corrector for quite some time. Always wondering if its worth it for me as i image with a dob on eq platform im never really striving for perfection just a bit of fun to find/see objects i cant otherwise see with the naked eye. So i guess its a mix of EAA and Astrophotography

What part of sydney are you in? I'm in botany, with wonderful bortle 9 skies
Old 11-08-2022, 06:41 PM
ahmed_haider (Ahmed)
Resplendent_southern_sky

Great project Greg! The coma corrector will help both in imaging and visual when you use eyepieces with wide fov.
Let's take this up on pm/msg
Cheers
Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggles View Post
Thanks Ahmed, i just may need to take you up on that. been looking at the GSO coma corrector for quite some time. Always wondering if its worth it for me as i image with a dob on eq platform im never really striving for perfection just a bit of fun to find/see objects i cant otherwise see with the naked eye. So i guess its a mix of EAA and Astrophotography

What part of sydney are you in? I'm in botany, with wonderful bortle 9 skies