Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 04-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
If Chernobyl is anything to go by....most of our cities will return to the jungle in less than 100 years...

Most Mayan buildings disappeared under trees within 1000...

I think the aliens will be confused by why we kept dog poo in indestructible plastic bags...

Haha, yeah they'll probably ascribe it to religion.

I agree, I don't think today's housing will be around for long before being reclaimed by the local flora. I remember reading that the ancient structures (ie Roman) have lasted so long because they used seawater when making their concrete. Hence why modern structures get concrete rot when 2,000 year old structures endure.

Chernobyl, in spite of being overgrown would still be radioactive, so there's that, I guess.

Maybe radioactive dog-poo is what we should be scanning for on exoplanets :-D
Old 05-08-2022, 10:32 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I often wonder if there could have been civilizations around millions of years ago... such is easily dismissed as the fossil record shows humans only got going a couple of million years ago ... but I see no reason why say 50 million years ago a species existed on a continent long sunk below the seas..not Atlantis but even Atlantis is possible...and of course we believe that's not possible but in fact it is...

There may have been a advanced city right where the big rock hit that took out the dinasours..in fact I am almost certain there was

Alex
Old 05-08-2022, 10:48 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I often wonder if there could have been civilizations around millions of years ago... such is easily dismissed as the fossil record shows humans only got going a couple of million years ago ... but I see no reason why say 50 million years ago a species existed on a continent long sunk below the seas..not Atlantis but even Atlantis is possible...and of course we believe that's not possible but in fact it is...

There may have been a advanced city right where the big rock hit that took out the dinasours..in fact I am almost certain there was

Alex

I believe they refer to that as the Silurian hypothesis (yes, after Dr Who, but it's an actual hypothesis that has been put forward)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silurian_hypothesis
Old 05-08-2022, 11:43 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
I believe they refer to that as the Silurian hypothesis (yes, after Dr Who, but it's an actual hypothesis that has been put forward)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silurian_hypothesis
Thanks Markus...so past civilizations are real

Alex
Old 05-08-2022, 11:59 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

A dead giveaway sign that there was an advanced civilisation would be the nuclear waste dumps, followed by thevremains of Chernobyl and then, Clive Palmer’s election posters.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:17 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

The Pantheon in Rome was built 1900 years ago (opened 125) and is still perfectly good. It outlived the civilisation that built it , found new use, and will outlive the current one while something like people are still around to use it.

The Sydney Opera house might still be here in 1000 years although you will have paddle through the shells in a boat.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:13 PM
Hodur (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Kieth Richards
That’d be his second millennium
Old 05-08-2022, 08:14 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
The Sydney Opera house might still be here in 1000 years although you will have paddle through the shells in a boat.
The Opera House was designed to last 250-300 years. 1000 years from post stressed concrete in a marine environment is a big ask, but you might be right.

Chris